PDA

View Full Version : 4x6 bandsaw aggravation...

ZINOM
08-02-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm having trouble with getting a straight cut from my saw.

It's a Jet 4x6 that I've had for ten plus years and it runs well enough and does the job but maybe I didn't notice the slant before. Now I'm cutting some angle iron, 3/16" thick with 1.5" long legs and the blade tracks inward toward the vise as it goes down.

I've reduced the cutting pressure (spring type) checked the guides for adjustment and wear, blade tension seems good but I keep getting a crooked cut.

I'm not a member but I looked around a little over at the yahoo forum, but this is usually where I get some action.

Any thoughts?

John

darryl
08-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Usually means a worn blade.

Others have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating- only use good blades.

Bob Ford
08-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Use a magnifying glass and look at the teeth one side most likely dull or has lost set. Buy a bi-metal blade. They cost more and last longer making them actually cheaper.

Bob

doctor demo
08-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Try a blade change.

Steve

lugnut
08-02-2011, 12:49 AM
By all means go out and buy yourself a new GOOD blade. Not a cheep $5 one, but a good bi-metal blade, about $25. you won't be sorry.

ak95xj
08-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Just 1 quick check;on mine (not a jet but just a plain 4x6) , there is wear in the 2 tabs on the base / & pin that the saws head pivots on when it drops down..It causes some noticable play and some messed up cuts..

JoeFin
08-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Go to a 10-14 tpi Moorse blade - that well help

The off tracking is more noticeable with more aggressive blades

flylo
08-02-2011, 01:24 AM
If it takes 64 1/2" blades I have 50 American made blades for $5 ea. Let me know if you need any.

Davo J
08-02-2011, 02:22 AM
Some people have complained about the hinge holes being machined out of square. Try a new blade and adjust it up, but if that fails check the hinge.
The way I have seen it fixed it to make up off set bushes to correct it.
An easy way to check is to put a square on the table and lift the saw up and down close beside the square and if you can see it moving closer at either end of the square you have a hinge problem.

Dave

darryl
08-02-2011, 02:35 AM
Got a Lennox Diemaster blade on my 4x6 now. Got the same blade for the one at work. As Evan said, cost more but cheaper in the long run. Cuts true as well.

macona
08-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Got a Lennox Diemaster blade on my 4x6 now. Got the same blade for the one at work. As Evan said, cost more but cheaper in the long run. Cuts true as well.

Diemaster II here as well. Great blades. I had to cut through some glass in a pinch and its still very sharp.

I think I am using a 10/14 TPI blade.

ZINOM
08-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I've got a year old Morse Matrix II 10-14 on there now.

I originally thought it might be the hinge and so I checked it with a square and it did in fact swoop inward when I'd raise and lower the saw head....however, it seemed to get better when I re-checked the tension and all that stuff...but when I cut another slice it was still the same.

I think boring and sleeving the hinge is a bit beyond my moves....shimming the stock while it's in the vise is more within my capabilities :)

Thanks for all the replies guys.

John

macona
08-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Did you check the guide bearings? They should be pretty tight up against the blade. And the knob for the main blade tension should be as tight as you can get it by hand. With the small knob on these bandsaws it is virtually impossible to get them overtight when tightening by hand,

uncrichie
08-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Zinom, I have the same issue with an HF brand saw. I've never researched the exact issue. I just use a shim (yes its a pain in the butt) however it works OK.