PDA

View Full Version : Logan 12 x 36 advice

Scottike
08-02-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm considering purchasing a Logan 12x36 Lathe model 2557 vhl, late 60's vintage and would like to get some input on things to watch for when I go look at it. Especially any common problem areas these lathes might have.
I'm considering this lathe as a replacement for my current 10x36 Rockwell. So while I'm familar general condition issues to look for and the Rockwell's pecularities and weaknesses, the Logan is an unknown animal to me.
This is a H.S. metal shop lathe so I'm sure it's seen a little abuse while in the hands of students, and may suffer from lack of maintenence as well.
On the equipment side, it has variable speed, flame hardened ways, and the L00 chuck mount. Additionally, it's got a wedge type qctp (couldn't tell if it was AXA or BXA from the pics), 6" & 8" 3 jaw and an 8" four 4 jaw chuck, the telescoping taper attachment, and a lexan chip shield.
I'm hoping that the steady rest, a follow rest and maybe a 5C collet closer are sitting in the base cabinet, but can't tell from the pics.
The school district has classified the lathe as being in "Fair" condition but I'm not too sure as to whether that's good or bad. Any input you folks might be able to give about trouble spots to look for and value would be greatly appreciated.

Rosco-P
08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
As you probably already know, most wear will be within 6 to 10" inches of the chuck face. Look for chips and feel for ridges in the bed ways, check for slop and droop in the tailstock barrel. Broken gear teeth? The classification of "Fair" was probably necessary for the district to dispose of the property. The extra chucks, taper attachment and Q/C toolpost are all a plus. Useful information here: http://www.mermac.com/klunker2.html Logan owners can provide more specific areas of weakness to check.

PaulT
08-02-2011, 12:46 PM
The L00 spindle is reasonable news, you can still buy new chucks and backplates that will fit it, and lots are also available used.

But the chuck mounting ring and the spindle mating surface on these can get banged up if its been abused.

I'd definitely take the chuck off to get a good look at the taper on the outside of the spindle. Also the mounting rings on these can get pretty beat up, make sure the holes in it for the spanner aren't too elongated.

They should have the spanner for taking the chuck off. Typically with the lathe key still engaged for high speed you put the lathe in back gear also to lock the spindle. Then with the spanner on the front side of the ring with the spanner handle up, push on it to loosen the ring. If the chuck hasn't been taken off for a while this can take some effort, some penetrating oil on the right side edge of the ring can help.

I'd put an indicator on the outside taper and rotate the spindle by hand to check for runout, do that on the inside taper also.

Good luck-

Paul T.
www.power-t.com