PDA

View Full Version : OT: Water + CO2 + sunlight = diesel fuel!

vpt
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/02/energy-in-america-new-diesel-biofuel-faster-more-efficient-to-produce-says/

Discuss.

garagemark
08-04-2011, 02:43 PM
How many 'acres' will produce how much fuel, and in what time frame? The big issue I can think of is that, like corn (ethanol), it might take the size of Africa to grow enough critters to have much of an effect on fuel supplies. Also, how much energy is consumed to make a gallon of this fuel. Again, as with corn, does it take more energy to make a gallon than the energy that you get from a gallon?

Just thinking here.

Dawai
08-04-2011, 02:48 PM
A discussion I was in one night related the Hebrews "manna from heaven" as a "algae" growth and dispersion machine.. Pretty far out huh?

Reckon it could feed us too?

We're killin the honey bees, we might need to suck on some slime..

aboard_epsilon
08-04-2011, 03:00 PM
its fox news ???!!! ..and in the video ..it looks suspiciously like someones crudely superimposed some graphics over some solar panels .

all the best.markj

shipto
08-04-2011, 05:10 PM
same thing on a diy scale.
http://www.instructables.com/id/An-Algae-Bioreactor-from-Recycled-Water-Bottles/

gary350
08-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I have seen lots of ideas over the years but so far none of them are on the market producing oil, fuel or electricity.

In the 80s someone came up with a Spinach solar cell. You grow spinach mix with water until you a green liquid mixture. Pump it through a photo electric cell in the sun and it makes electricity. Spinach water mix has to be replaced every day. You have to grow lots of spinach to make it work.

In the 90s squeezing oil out of bugs and plants was suppose to solve the oil shortage. Problem is where do you get billions of bugs every day to make oil from. Harvesting plants from the ocean was suppose to work too.

My uncle farms about 2000 acres in Illinois when corn prices are low he puts the corn in large tanks, adds an enzyme, heats it to 150 deg for 1 hour the starch turns to sugar. Cool to 70 degrees and ferment for 3 days to make alcohol. Then he hasto heat it to 185 deg to remove the alcohol. A lot of work is involved to get a 15% higher price for corn.

In the 90s some guy inventer fold up plastic solar cells. A 3' x 3' solar cell can be folded up and put in your pocket. They were on the market several years I tried to buy one but the price was too expensive.

Some 3rd world countries use gas generators to make natural gas from wood to power their vehicles. You heat wood in a container with no oxygen it produces natural gas. It works I built one 30 years ago. In this country it is not practical I had to buy $50 worth of wood to make $25 worth of fuel.

A few years ago several people claimed to be able to turn water into hydrogen and oxygen gas to power vehicles. There are lots of videos on You Tube but so far no one is producing hydrogen in large quantities.

About 1985 some guy mounted a wind mill on the roof of his car he could drive his car in any direction even directly into the wind. The video showed him doing 5 mph into a 15 mph wind and a average speed of about 15 mph most of the time. I can ride a bicycle 15 mph and it costs less than a wind powered car.

In the mid 80s Charles McCormic invented a gravity generator. I saw it in operation it works with weights and levers turning on a shaft. It needs a 2 hp motor to get it started, after it is running the motor is turned off a generator produces about 2.1 hp. It produces an excess of 1/10 of a hp. It was later determined the maintenance on a large 100 meg watt unit would cost more than the power it produces.

I think we should change all the interstates and city streets so the lanes are 1/2 the size we have now then do away with full size vehicles and let everyone drive go-karts.

macona
08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
In the mid 80s Charles McCormic invented a gravity generator. I saw it in operation

No, you didnt. You saw something but I can guarantee you did not see a working over unity device.

aboard_epsilon
08-04-2011, 07:32 PM
No, you didnt. You saw something but I can guarantee you did not see a working over unity device.
please someone explain the word over unity

seems to me it should be over runity.....so if you joined it together ..took one r out and pronounced it as above ..it would be right in my tiny mind

all the best.markj

macona
08-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Over unity. Also know as perpetual motion. A device that produces more power than it uses, which is impossible under the laws of thermodynamics.

aboard_epsilon
08-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Over unity. Also know as perpetual motion. A device that produces more power than it uses, which is impossible under the laws of thermodynamics.
yes i know that ..

its the word

over runs ..runs-on

darryl
08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Ironically, over duity is only half as much power as over unity. Over treity is even less. By this logic, over half is more power than over unity, so less is more. Carrying it further, over nothing is everything, which probably begat the phrase much ado over nothing. That's an oxymoron because it suggests that if you have nothing, you have lots of ado. Something smells here- it's probably all that ado do.

wierdscience
08-04-2011, 09:07 PM
IIRC that same company has been playing with that idea for awhile.The first incarnation used Algae which scrubbed power plant emissions.Good idea and it works,but acres and acres of PVC organ pipes filled with algae isn't very economical.Man made farm ponds would be.

gary350
08-04-2011, 09:58 PM

I will tell you how this thing works. Hold a boom handle parallel to the ground with a brick on the handle up close to your hand. Now slide the brick to the outer end of the broom handle and see if you can continue to hold the handle parallel to the ground. The weight of the brick on the end of that handle produces enough leverage that you can no longer hold the handle parallel to the ground.

The machine has spokes like a wheel. The are tompson shaft with bearing. There is a weight on each bearing and all the weights are at the center near the rotating axle. The 2 hp motor gets the shaft turning at a fairly slow rpm I am guessing maybe 30 or 40 rpms. Once the thing is turning the generator produces the power to slice the weight back and forth on the shafts. With all the weights at center it takes very little power to make it turn. There are some switches that tell each shaft when to move the weights out and back. When the shaft is almost parallel with the ground the weight goes out long enough to produce enough leverage to make the machine rotate then the weight is pulled back before it has to be pulled up hill. One by one the weights go out and back to center. All the power produced by the generator moves the weights.

The day I saw it run it seemed to run fine for a few minutes then it slowed down and stopped. They claimed because it had not been run in several months things needed to be oiled and moving freely to keep it running. They claimed someone from MIT came and ran tests on the machine and their test showed it produce a small amount of extra power.

But we all know the laws of physics.

Dr Stan
08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
And I thought the Smart Meter thread was full of cock & bull. :rolleyes:

darryl
08-04-2011, 10:20 PM
If the weight is slid out while the spoke is parallel to the ground, it does some work to turn the axle. But at any point where the axle has turned, that spoke is then pointing downwards to some extent. The weight has to be raised uphill to return it to center. The more the shaft is allowed to turn, the more power has been added to it by the weight pulling the spoke downwards, but at the same time the power requirement to return the weight to center has risen. If sliding the weight was frictionless, the best that could be realized is 'at unity'.

If the axle was not allowed to turn far enough that the weight didn't have to go uphill to return to center, then in order for the weight to add power to the shaft it would have had to have been raised while pushing it out over the spoke, or in other words pushed out before the spoke reached horizontal. The work done to achieve this would only be returned in an equal amount- if there was no friction, and a 100% efficient actuating mechanism.

In order for this to work, there would have to be a significant curvature of space/time passing through the axle, which would have to mean a gravity gradient going in the horizontal direction. The only gravity gradient existing is in the vertical direction, with the center of mass creating it being pretty much in the downward direction more or less in line with the center of the earth.

Once again, you're paying for your own lunch.

Dawai
08-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I saw a repulsion motor that "appeared to work"... but.. the "alternator" hooked to it didn't have wiring.. so... It was a toy.. like them balls on peoples desks..

CO2.. well.. if they'd pipe that into a marijuana farm?? then they'd have a cash crop huh??
I think Darin is right about the ponds... tho... a bird might land in them.. and then All hell would break loose from a tree hugger that would've appreciated the "pot" much more.. Ha.. so...

wierdscience
08-05-2011, 10:40 AM
I saw a repulsion motor that "appeared to work"... but.. the "alternator" hooked to it didn't have wiring.. so... It was a toy.. like them balls on peoples desks..

CO2.. well.. if they'd pipe that into a marijuana farm?? then they'd have a cash crop huh??
I think Darin is right about the ponds... tho... a bird might land in them.. and then All hell would break loose from a tree hugger that would've appreciated the "pot" much more.. Ha.. so...

Haha David what they should do is genetically engineer some aquatic pot:D

But how would you put a picture of Algae on a T-shirt?