PDA

View Full Version : Baldor Replacement Bearing Questions

Dale Lusby
08-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I am replacing the bearings in my baldor bench grinders and have a question as to which to replace with. The current bearings are shielded on one side (windings side) and open on the outer side. It is this way on both grinders so I assume Baldor did this on purpose. There is a felt washer along with a wavy washer and regular washer on the wheel side of the bearing in the housing. What would be the benefit to using this arrangement instead of using a sealed bearing? Only thing I can think is for being able to regrease them but wanted to ask if anyone else has any other ideas.

DENedbalek
08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I had exactly the same situation on a similar motor. I used these to replace the bearings and it's worked out great.

http://iksbearing.thomasnet.com/item/8000-8700-series-light-duty-bearings/8000-8700-series-felt-seal-replacement-bearings/8503?

I specified a seal on the outboard side and a sealed shield on the inside.

Dwayne

lakeside53
08-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Make sure your bearing are "electric motor " quality. These are typically between C2 and C3, and are selcted for quiet running. And of course... quality brand bearings... not no-name Chinese