PDA

View Full Version : electric motor question

Black Forest
08-05-2011, 05:25 AM
I am building a belt grinder. I have a 2.5KW three phase electric motor I want to use to drive the belt. In the connection box I find the L1,L2,L3 wires, a ground and there are two very thin wires that connect to the connection strip and then come out the cable. So I have six wires total coming out of the motor. L1,2,3 and ground I know what to do with these.

What are these two little wires for and or doing?

John Stevenson
08-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Thermal overload sensor

Peter.
08-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Is that the red blob on the end that you jab with a screwdriver when the motor stops working?

:D

flutedchamber
08-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Is that the red blob on the end that you jab with a screwdriver when the motor stops working?

:D

No, that's the red blob on the end that you glue in so the motor is self-resetting.:rolleyes:

Gravy
08-06-2011, 08:52 PM
On a 3-phase motor it's internal and self-resetting.

boslab
08-07-2011, 02:29 AM
you havent got a braked motor have you, i just replaced one that SHOULD have had the 2 extra little wires connected to the DC brake system [ connects to +24volt-24 volt] brake is off when energised, the motor i replaced dropped a phase because the thing was trying to run with the brake on, supposidly an electrician fitted the motor!, didnt take long to figure out but the bill for the job was over a grand so the customer was not happy with thier 'electrician' at all!
regards
mark