PDA

View Full Version : storing grinding belts -- ideas?

Tony
08-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Have been doing some shop clean-up / reorganizing. Have decided
to finally do something about the belt situation -- but don't know what.

I've got about 2 doz 2"x72" belts of varying grit / type / etc.. i usually
cycle between 5 or 6 throughout a week as the task demands.. i find they
just end up hanging everywhere.

How are you folks storing your belts so they're not a PITA to get to
and put away?

Evan
08-06-2011, 04:14 PM
They just end up hanging everywhere....

KiddZimaHater
08-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I hang them on the side of my belt sander stand, via handy-homemade, wire hanger-hook thingy contraption.

darryl
08-06-2011, 05:28 PM
At work I mounted a shelf bracket on the wall, then put a piece of cardboard tubing over it- about 4 inch diameter, the stuff that carpets are shipped on. I secured the tubing end-on to the wall so it doesn't become a loose PIA. Four or five belts can be slipped together and hung over that as one bundle, and three bundles can fit over the tubing. It's near a corner where long stuff stands, so it really doesn't take up usable space.

Davidhcnc
08-06-2011, 05:34 PM
..something a bit like a birds nest:rolleyes:

Duffy
08-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I have a 6"x80" belt sander. I made a hanging bracket by chopping some 3" DWV ABS pipÍ into 7" lengths, mounting them in a length of 1"x6" pine and screwed that to the wall. I hang them by grit size, and it is no problem to nest 6 or 8 together on a pipe. Best find a piece of wall where it is not too dusty!

The Artful Bodger
08-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Light stuff like grinding belts I hang on pegs inside a cupboard door, of course if I get too careless and just fling the door open I might have to pick some off the floor.

Forrest Addy
08-06-2011, 06:26 PM
That's what idle drill presses are for. You can hang a dozen sanding belts on the star wheel, table clamp, motor, belt cover, table (two sides and an end) head clamp, depth stop.

What? OK, you want to use the drill press? Sling the belts off to the table, hang a bunch on the jointer tables. There's also the clamp rack, O/A tank cart and hose hooks, over the lathe ways, the coat rack. Use your imagination

There's lots of places to hang sanding belts in the shop and you don't even have to buld a rack.

Seriously a basic free standing office coat rack from Sally's or Vinny's works just fine.

Robin R
08-06-2011, 11:23 PM
I screwed paint cans to the wall through their bottoms and for wide belts, I screwed 5 gallon pails to the wall.

Tait
08-07-2011, 01:54 AM
I made an oversized "tie rack" drilled some holes at an angle in a 1x3, screwed it to the wall, and stuck dowels in for pegs - several belts can be nested before hanging, and I can get 3 "nests" per peg.

It's nice to have a few pegs so you can sort by grit, or even by belt type and grit.

I'm curious - what 2x72 grinder are you using?

Tony
08-07-2011, 04:05 AM
its a DIY grinder.
what's always bothered me is the scotchbrite belts probably getting full
of 40 grit dust. i know i know, i could put it in a different place. its like
buffing wheels, unless you put them in a drawer you never really know
what finish you get :)

for now the O/A tanks will have to do.. I set the regulators to the grit
of the belt hanging on them so I always know. :)