PDA

View Full Version : Book: Gears and Gear Cutting by Ivan Law?

pgmrdan
01-21-2004, 04:41 PM
A Workshop Practice Series book I'm thinking about ordering.

If you've read it, what did you think?

Thanks,
Dan

JCHannum
01-21-2004, 04:52 PM
I have it. It explains much about gears. It has goes into several methods of making gears on the lathe and milling machine.
Well written and understandable.
It doesn't go into the exotic gears, but covers those most of interest to the HSM very nicely.

Evan
01-21-2004, 05:05 PM
I have it, very good book for the HSM. If you contemplate ever making gears I would buy it.

G.A. Ewen
01-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Real good book. I cut my first gear after I read it. The gear turned out really well which is a credit to the book and not my skills at the time.

lynnl
01-21-2004, 05:50 PM
I have it. Haven't cut any gears yet, but that'll be my point of departure when I get the proverbial 'rountoit'. I'm fascinated by the design, described in the book, of a lathe mounted tool for providing relief on form gear cutters. It took a lot of study and pondering for me to understand exactly how it works. As I recall, John Stevenson has said that he made one and it works very nicely.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 01-21-2004).]

John Stevenson
01-21-2004, 05:52 PM
For the home shop guy this book has got to be the best one out there. Simple explanations without going into realms of maths you can't do anything with anyway.
Gears are a bit of a hobby of mine and I must have about 4 foot of shelf space on various gear books. Ivan's book is never far away.
I actually have two copies, one resides on my desk and the other moves between the thunderbox and my bedside table.
I do better work in the thunderbox than I do in the workshop, it's usually quieter http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

John S.

John Foster
01-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Dan, how deep do you want to go? If you just want to be able to understand and cut a gear it is pretty easy.
If you read my article in HSM Jan/Feb 2004 page 48 on the taper attachment I tried to give a basic explaination. Once you understand PITCH DIAMETER and DIAMETRAL PITCH most of the mystery has gone out of gear cutting. After that it just using the formulas to find the different dimensions.
I am not saying that there is nothing to learn about gearing because you can get into them very deep if you want and they can get complicated. Besides it never hurts to have good reference book handy. John

Thrud
01-22-2004, 04:54 AM
John
First time I heard it called that, but I like it! Thuderbox! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

HELP!
If any of you lads out there know the diamter, hub diameter, thickness, and pin size, plate numbers for a complete set of B&S plates, radius to the screw hole centerline, and are screws aligned to the start holes ("1's") in a particular way. (say, a set of blue prints would be spiffy!)

I have offered Bill in Texas to drill him a set for his dividing head (not B&S, but they will work) so he can get to cutting some gears himself. This is all gratis of course - because I am bored and just helping out a brother.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 01-22-2004).]

SGW
01-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Excellent book. The gears by circular approximation business works well, by the way; I used that technique to make the set of timing gears for my "Kiwi" engine...work on which is languishing, now that I have a real job again....

Dr. Rob
01-24-2004, 04:26 PM
For some reason I can't find it anywhere. Must have lost it somewhere in the swarf pile.

What was he saying about cycloid-vs-involute gear tooth form?

Or rather, what do you guys say about cycloid gear tooth form-- you know, power transmission capability, cv, efficiency etc? Any good? If so, why is involute so much more prevalent?

Indexer
01-24-2004, 09:28 PM
Or rather, what do you guys say about cycloid gear tooth form-- you know, power transmission capability, cv, efficiency etc? Any good? If so, why is involute so much more prevalent?

I can't seem to locate my copy at the moment, but the basic answer is that the small edge that the cycloid tooth form has in performance characteristics is swamped by its higher cost of production and its much more stringent demands on maintaining the accuracy of center distance.

------------------
Rich Kuzmack

Pi = 355/113 . . . to
<85 parts per billion

Dr. Rob
01-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Thanks, Indexer. So, it is really a better performing form, but less than perfect CDs gets in the way of CV? Okay. About higher production costs... What, for the tooling you mean? Otherwise, hobbing is hobbing, right?

Hmm. I have some cycloid hobs; maybe I should go try them and see for myself. Or do a Google. Much of the gear theory covered in other literature applies only to involute forms. Leaves a few questions, so learn by doing, right?