PDA

View Full Version : Buckley Old Engine Show

jdunmyer
08-07-2011, 06:47 PM
is next week: starts on Thursday the 18th, ends on Sunday the 21st. Like all of these shows, it's best to attend on the earlier days, not the last one.

I'll be in the SW corner of the Woodshop, what is presently our "machine shop". We have several lathes, a horizontal mill, and large drill press. I'm actually using this antique stuff to make those Big Nuts described in another thread of that name.

The Snow engine now has the crankcases set in place; we had a 100-ton crane come in to do the job.

I have pics, of course, but I'll have to be home to post them.

If you can attend, be sure to look us up!

Errol Groff
08-07-2011, 09:00 PM
And where, one wonders, is the Buckley Show?

Oldbrock
08-07-2011, 09:04 PM
There is a Buckley in Flintshire, North Wales, Mark will know where it is. Somehow I don't think that is the correct Buckley but don't know if the poster is from UK or Afganistan. Peter

John Stevenson
08-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Try this one .

http://www.buckleyoldengineshow.org/

Robin R
08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
What makes you think it would be that Buckley old engine show John.

JCHannum
08-07-2011, 10:57 PM
It is the Buckley Michigan show. Jim is a Michigander.

J Weber
08-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Directions to Buckley from a Michigander.
Hold up your left hand.Spread out your thumb and little finger a bit.It is about 1/4 inch [6MM to you across the pond] south of of where little finger meets the hand.:) That is up n some great country.Nice show.A buddy worked the sawmill there for some years.They were cutting old growth timber that was sunk to the bottom of the river that was raised.Man that is some pretty stuff.

doctor demo
08-08-2011, 01:02 AM
Directions to Buckley from a Michigander.
Hold up your left hand.Spread out your thumb and little finger a bit.It is about 1/4 inch [6MM to you across the pond] south of of where little finger meets the hand.:)
So I guess the show is canceled then!:eek:
A quarter inch south of where the little finger meets the hand is a welding burn where there is a hole in the glove.:mad:

Steve

jdunmyer
08-08-2011, 08:10 PM
My apologies, fellas! Of course, it's the Buckley, Michigan, USA show, and I should not have neglected that part. My only excuse is that our Internet connection at the show grounds is somewhat "iffy". (we've been here for a week now) That tends to be distracting, plus I'm using my wife's computer, which I'm not fond of.

Of course, it's funny: complaining about an "iffy" Internet connection while out in the middle of a field, with no electrical hookup. You'd think I'd be grateful to even HAVE a connection, not complain about it! :-)

tdmidget
08-09-2011, 02:25 AM
My apologies, fellas! Of course, it's the Buckley, Michigan, USA show, and I should not have neglected that part. My only excuse is that our Internet connection at the show grounds is somewhat "iffy". (we've been here for a week now) That tends to be distracting, plus I'm using my wife's computer, which I'm not fond of.

Of course, it's funny: complaining about an "iffy" Internet connection while out in the middle of a field, with no electrical hookup. You'd think I'd be grateful to even HAVE a connection, not complain about it! :-)

No, you have no excuse. There is a place to enter location which would have at least given a clue to what continent you are on. And you still don't show where you are.

Weston Bye
08-09-2011, 06:46 AM
...I'm using my wife's computer, which I'm not fond of. ...

The wife, or the computer?:D

She must be a keeper, she is there with you, and letting you use her computer to boot.

George Bulliss
08-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Jim,

I plan to swing through on Thursday and will make sure to stop by. Hopefully the cool weather will hold through the event.

George

jdunmyer
08-10-2011, 09:05 PM
TDM,
I think I now have my location posted, it appeared in a previous message.

Wes,
The Wife is fine by me, we've been together for 47 years now, celebrating our anniversary during an engine/tractor show most years.

George,
I'll certainly be looking forward to seeing you!

And: I've been roughing out those Big Nuts (3 done, one left for demo during the show) and proving the process of making them hexagonal. The stock I got from the scrapyard is round, so.....

JeffKranz
08-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Glad to see you can machine them. How long does it take to rough one out? The time to saw cut them was about 5 minutes each.

Jeff

jdunmyer
08-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Jeff,
If all goes well, I can chuck up a piece, step drill it out to about 2 1/4", then bore it to 3 1/2" in a day. That's starting early, at the crack of 9:00 AM, and working until 4 or 5 PM. Each pass with the boring bar takes 5 minutes, and I'm taking about .025" on a side. More than that doesn't seem to work well, even with that big ol' 1 1/2" boring bar and a carbide toolbit.

I had a piece of 6" round stock, maybe 5" long laying around here, so I put it in the little horizontal mill and attacked it with a roughing cutter. It takes about 11 minutes per pass, taking about .100" deep. About 5 passes are required to make a flat, so it'll be an entire day to mill the hex on those nuts. that will be next year, however. I'm tickled that it worked as well as it did, however.