PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic motor. Video, idea, discussion

Dawai
08-09-2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4hwqU1txAY&NR=1

I got a migraine.

Okay.. See the video, a Calloway Angular magnetic array, a traveling bar magnet. It propels it down the track, see it go... whoopie, what a toy.

See this in your mind, A flat leather belt, upon this belt, bar magnets sewed into a covering with magnets cross ways. Running upon two round flat pulleys, low friction bearings one end, coupled to Motor-generator other end.

A Vgate on both sides of the belt, on the "last" magnet, the curvature of the pulley "lifts" the bar magnet in the belt covering off the travel path at a angle, reducing the "draw off force required".

Supposition, the unit may not run "totally free".. but if it adds "forward torque" to a coupling in a "motor-generator" pair, it will add free power. Add in a flywheel to stop "stutter" at break off points for the bar magnets from the array.

Tools required, a industrial sewing machine, drill press.. possibly lathe.

Materiels, Lots of magnets, both "puck" style and bar magnets to place around belt array. UHMW to mount magnets into. Leather flat belt, fabric covering to carry bar magnets.

Cost?? (migraine medications do not count)

My first thoughts were for a "welded track" onto a chain.. there is way too much friction in a chain thou. Akin a robot track..

lazlo
08-09-2011, 11:35 AM
David, that's just the kid's "magnetic linear accelerator", AKA the "Gauss Rifle" that everyone was posting on Youtube 10 years ago:

http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/gauss.html

Dawai
08-09-2011, 12:31 PM
A nice nap cured the migraine, still got blurry vision. (previous knocks on head)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCr3lOhMJCg
Don't discount so quickly. Roller Skate wheel, bar magnet operated manually. Should be reversed positions.

Is there anyways to "view" magnetic fields?? You could conceivably stack the bar magnets till the fields near overlapped.

THe "reasons" it can not self-propel is ... My opinion, the force required to separate the bar magnet is near equal to the forward force generated. Breaking off at a angle is the only way to minimize that. THESE "toys" that use cams to break the magnetic alignments the cam draws as much energy as the unit produces. Utilizing a pulley to rotate the magnet out of alignment is one way to "change" a toy into a productive device.

Did you know "people" played with paper gliders, toys that flew long before the Wright brothers flew a home-made man lifting Kite at kittyhawk??

shipto
08-09-2011, 01:04 PM
A nice nap cured the migraine, still got blurry vision. (previous knocks on head)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCr3lOhMJCg
Don't discount so quickly. Roller Skate wheel, bar magnet operated manually. Should be reversed positions.

Is there anyways to "view" magnetic fields?? You could conceivably stack the bar magnets till the fields near overlapped.
paper and iron filings but this will never work there will always be a sticking point. I played about with things like this for a while, it good fun but thats all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCLRWbF935k

macona
08-09-2011, 01:22 PM
The whole magnet thing is a no-go.

If you want to view magnetic fields there is this film:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Magnetic-Field-Viewing-Film/dp/B000UV6ZPS

Dawai
08-09-2011, 01:29 PM
For one thing, the Perendev motor.. Supposedly it had a electric motor hidden on the "far side" of the video. It was in the right orientation, but utilizing "shielded directional" magnets? Supposedly... according to internet searches he landed in jail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4qjZocje0c
A austrialian version?? supposedly operational? There are plans available.. but alas, also plans for anti-gravity devices.

Jaakko Fagerlund
08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I have an idea: Drop the permanent magnet motor ideas, it will save you time, money and anger. Why? Because they do not work.

Black_Moons
08-09-2011, 01:56 PM
All the scientists on earth agree free energy does not exist.

The rest are not scientists.

Even if you COULD get energy outta magnets, It would not be more energy then was put in to make them magnets. (Ie, It would require actualy draining the magnetic field, And said field would not recover, making the entire device an over complicated battery)

Anyone who does not understand a motor connected to a generator does not equal a free energy device needs to be slaped upside the head with a book about thermodynamics, Reguardless how many magnets, propane tanks, or weird wound coils they put inbeween em.

If such a thing could exist, it would allready exist and be sold at retail stores.

Dawai
08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Yes heres a point, So.. since "all the other scientists other than Edison" could not invent a light bulb, it is proven that it is a bad concept. Okay, since "all the other inventors" who tried to make Manned flight a possibility and could not, it was a bad idea.

Probably explains why "nostalgic" cars are coming back into the showrooms... WE done done it all... Personally, if Nostalgia is my factor.. gimme a ford GT...

Where are the Dreamers? the people who grew up with "rocks and sticks to play with" and had to use the imagination?? Kids have toys that look like things.. I wanna go play with that guy who strapped "RC jet engines" to his boots and jumped..

macona
08-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Edison had the light bulb invented for him, Tesla invented the Fluorescent, others invented other light sources. But a light bulb does not violate the laws of thermodynamics which can be summarized:

1. You cant get more energy out of a system than you put in.
2. The most you can do is break even.
3. You really cant even do that.

There are certain things that just cant happen. No matter how much you wish the sun will not come up in the west tomorrow morning.

philbur
08-09-2011, 03:31 PM
The problem with comparing the concept of free energy with both your examples is that all scientists accepted the light bulb and manned flight as possible, because they didn't require a violation of any scientific principles, it just needed somebody to come up with a viable solution.

Phil:)

PS: the successful inventors work within established scientific principles, not against them.

Yes heres a point, So.. since "all the other scientists other than Edison" could not invent a light bulb, it is proven that it is a bad concept. Okay, since "all the other inventors" who tried to make Manned flight a possibility and could not, it was a bad idea.

Dawai
08-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Did I say this was "free energy??" No, but it may be borrowed from "one place" to another. Gravity is a constant till inertia overcomes it, MY current idea uses that to advantage.

Patents: Edison also Ripped Tesla over the adjustable brush idea for the dc motor-generators. (tune er in till she don't spark so much) Edison normally patented "his employees" work in his own name.

I'd say Tesla knew more about magnetic fields than anyone here on this planet today, his "beginning" transformers, wound the way they were, images a magnetic field. Mucho harder to wind thou. Wouldn't a coil collapsing magnetic field in the SHAPE of the field be more efficient?.

Tesla.. one of my heroes..
Has anyone followed up on his "earth transmission" without wires.. Using modern timing chips to replace the tuning forks-points?? Not that I am aware of..

Has anyone been working to develop more efficient transformers to replace all the ones on the poles today?? think what one percent would accomplish nationwide?
No, they make Competitive "Cheap to produce ones" which are not as efficient.

Arcane
08-09-2011, 04:35 PM
I betcha Kevin...the Administrator at http://ontariometalmunchers.freeforhosting.com/ ...would be tickled pink if you posted this over there... :D :D :D

2ManyHobbies
08-09-2011, 04:42 PM
The thing with permanent magnet generators is this: Magnets are bipolar and are only going to exert a useful force to reach a moment of stability. Because of that, you'll never be able to make a small magnet hover in the air above a large magnet without continually applying outside forces.

Don't get me wrong, you could set some magnets up with a careful design and some mechanical bits to provide motion for a long time, much like a clock runs off of a spring or counterweight, but the net output will be slightly less than the net input. Similarly, connecting a generator to the output of a clock powered by a spring or weight isn't going to be a net win even for large values of clock. The reason is that somehow the weight or spring must always be reset by work from outside of the system.

philbur
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Yes but you need to define and evaluate the scientific principle for (borrowed from "one place" to another ) first, then you can design the device to exploit it. Building devices based on flawed science can be a time consuming and frustrating hobby.

"I'd say Tesla knew more about magnetic fields than anyone here on this planet today" You can't possibly know this. I could equally say it is almost certainly incorrect.

Judging from you list of ideas it looks like you will be busy for quite a while.

PS: It will be free if you borrow the enegy from some where that doesn't require you to replace it.

Did I say this was "free energy??" .

Black_Moons
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM

He only invented a light bulb that worked for more then a few minutes before burning out. Lots of people knew and accepted that running electricity through a tiny wire (or whatever conductive thing you had at hand) could make it hot enough to produce light.

Even before they did that, you could ask any scientist (or blacksmith) 'Does hot metal produce light?' And they would say yes.
Then ask anyone who had played with a signifigiant amount of electricity and ask them "Does electricity make wires hot?" And they would say yes.

Add the two questions togethor and you can indeed make a light bulb, Long before anyone even tryed to make one, let alone tryed to make one last more then 1 second.

Now ask any scientist "Can I get free (or infinate) energy out of a closed system?" And they will say no.
Ask if you can get energy out of a magnet (More then used to make the magnet in the first place, And they will say No.

PS: Even todays lightbulbs don't last forever. So you can't even say edison invented a light bulb that lasted forever, Just lasted long enough to be pratical to use over the candle or gas lamp. He only improved it.

There are no 'free energy' machines even theoryised that just need to be 'improved' to be usable.

There where plenty of aircraft (And birds, and gliding plant seeds, etc) built long before the wright brothers managed to make one that actualy could maintain speed, It was just a matter of slaping a big enough motor and prop on it.

After scientists realised the world was round (Dispite religious people burning them at the stake for saying otherwise), And that people would not sufficate if they went faster then 40mph, They have been pertty damn right about everything since, And basicly all our inventions just build on scientific theorys and observations.

So far, Not one person has had an observation of free energy.

PS: To make 'free energy' does not just violate thermodynamics, It also violates E=MC^2, Meaning to create energy you are creating mass. So, Unless you are litteraly god, Good luck with getting something from nothing.

MrSleepy
08-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Yes heres a point, So.. since "all the other scientists other than Edison

Edison directly copied the work of the British scientist Joseph Swan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan

=================================================
Edison collaboration

In America, Edison had been working on copies of the original light bulb patented by Swan, trying to make them more efficient. Though Swan had beaten him to this goal, Edison obtained patents in America for a fairly direct copy of the Swan light, and started an advertising campaign which claimed that he was the real inventor. Swan, who was less interested in making money from the invention, agreed that Edison could sell the lights in America while he retained the rights in Britain.
While searching for a better filament for his light bulb, Swan inadvertently made another advance. In 1881, Swan developed and patented a process for squeezing nitro-cellulose through holes to form conducting fibres. His newly established Swan Electric Lamp Company (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Swan_Electric_Lamp_Company&action=edit&redlink=1) (which by merger was to become the Edison and Swan United Company) used the cellulose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulose) filaments, that Swan had invented, in their bulbs. The textile industry has also used this process.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan#cite_note-fsu-3)[15] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan#cite_note-14)

=================================================

Dawai
08-09-2011, 05:29 PM
PS: It will be free if you borrow the enegy from some where that doesn't require you to replace it.
Okay, two immediate apparent things.. Free reclaimed "wasted energy"...

1) your refrigerator (the one you keep your beer in?).. YOU use it to "remove heat" from the contents.. WHERE DOES IT PUT IT? Right behind the refrigerator.. where your Air conditioning unit must "move it again" to put it "outside the house..
Want some "free" wasted energy? vent that "outside during the summer months. Keep it inside during heating months tho. There's a clothes drier, save that heat in the winter too..

2) That big ole 14,600 volt to 230/120 volt transformer hanging there on that pole in your street.. you know.. it feeds two, three , four houses?? It has enough "resistance" heat loss to "heat my home".. but I don't think they will want me wrapping it with exchanger Coils to carry the heat inside.. If I did? they'd want to charge me for it.. Figure a way to "get it" for cheap.. it is free, or wasted..

3) educate People about Wasted energy.. you know all them couples living in a 3-5 bedroom wood waster home.. Tax them accordingly.

4) shame on all of you with a two-three ton transportation vehicle. You'll soon learn what the Europeans have known a long time.

Edit...
I ain't gonna live long enough to do all the things I wanna.. so..
SOMEONE.. meaning a HSM'er.. needs to take the small steam car and make it work..
Hydrogen peroxide, pushed by a inert gas through a silver screen releases massive amounts of steam, a boiler can be condensed into the size of a lunchbox.. a triple expansion steam engine is still the most efficient engine I have saw for steam. Using pressure monitoring-cpu control for the pressure, a double pressure release, saftey relief valve, that pretty much handles all of those problems.. It was working out about level with gasoline at $3 per gallon in energy.. soon.. it will be much cheaper than gas.
Is it free energy... no.. unless you counted all the money in the bank that'd come in from it to supply yours..

Time for some "black rooster soup"... Home made cornbread.. and ice water.. whoopie.. When that hen crowed? I calculated we had about $20 in feed in that rascal.. it was not free either.

philbur
08-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Designing devices that can make use of or save otherwise wasted energy is not difficult, however to do it for less cost than the value of the wasted energy is the trick. But of course you already know this. It's primarily an economics question not a technical one, so show your costs versus benefits calculation for your device then there is something to discuss.

The energy report on my house says I can save $395 a year on energy cost if I insulate it at a total cost of $23,200. If I invest the $23,200 at 3% net I can earn $696 a year

1) your refrigerator (the one you keep your beer in?).. YOU use it to "remove heat" from the contents.. WHERE DOES IT PUT IT? Right behind the refrigerator.. where your Air conditioning unit must "move it again" to put it "outside the house..
Want some "free" wasted energy? vent that "outside during the summer months. Keep it inside during heating months tho. There's a clothes drier, save that heat in the winter too..

2) That big ole 14,600 volt to 230/120 volt transformer hanging there on that pole in your street.. you know.. it feeds two, three , four houses?? It has enough "resistance" heat loss to "heat my home".. but I don't think they will want me wrapping it with exchanger Coils to carry the heat inside.. If I did? they'd want to charge me for it.. Figure a way to "get it" for cheap.. it is free, or wasted..

3) educate People about Wasted energy.. you know all them couples living in a 3-5 bedroom wood waster home.. Tax them accordingly.

4) shame on all of you with a two-three ton transportation vehicle. You'll soon learn what the Europeans have known a long time.

Black_Moons
08-09-2011, 06:14 PM
The energy report on my house says I can save $395 a year on energy cost if I insulate it at a total cost of $23,200. If I invest the $23,200 at 3% net I can earn $696 a year

Unless you plan to live 58 years (Not accounting for rise in energy cost.. Or fall if cheap power is made, Yadayadayada), its not worth it to save $395 a year for $23,200 :) (58 years * $395 = $22,910)

ahidley
08-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Ok, With a magnet motor you need some way to govern the speed. Give the video alittle thought, and maybe..............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edwl1zLrsOM

macona
08-09-2011, 06:57 PM
I'd say Tesla knew more about magnetic fields than anyone here on this planet today, his "beginning" transformers, wound the way they were, images a magnetic field. Mucho harder to wind thou. Wouldn't a coil collapsing magnetic field in the SHAPE of the field be more efficient?.

Umm, no. There are people that know way more about magnetic fields today.

Tesla.. one of my heroes..
Has anyone followed up on his "earth transmission" without wires.. Using modern timing chips to replace the tuning forks-points?? Not that I am aware of..

Telsa was interesting, dont get me wrong. But there is a little over zealousness in his fans. His wireless transmission of energy could work but inefficiencies are astronomical. Massive losses. It would probably have wreaked havoc with the advancement of electronics.

Has anyone been working to develop more efficient transformers to replace all the ones on the poles today?? think what one percent would accomplish nationwide?
No, they make Competitive "Cheap to produce ones" which are not as efficient.

There are ways to make more efficient transformers, simply raise the frequency. This is nothing new. This is also why airplanes use 400hz power, to make smaller, more efficient transformers for electronic equipment. This is how an 300amp inverter welder's main transformer is small enough to hold in your hand.

But raising the frequency has issues. First the generators themselves are of a whole different design. As you increase frequency you run into an issue of skin effect. This is where the outer surface of a conductor carries the majority of the current. At 60Hz the skin depth is 1/3". Raise that to 10khz and you are now down to .025". This means conductors in a transformer or generator are a waste of copper at anything over .050" flat thickness. This is why conductors at substations and power generating facilities are either flat bars or pipe.

But we can raise the voltage. But as you raise the voltage you get corona issues which waste power just dumping it in the air which creates Ozone and various Nitrogen compounds which harm the environment and the equipment around them. As you raise the frequency you also get more corona as well.

macona
08-09-2011, 07:08 PM

I agree, fridges are the epitome of a power waster. But keep the door closed and less heat will be pushed out the back.

They do make little diverter filter boxes for your dryer to pump the warm air back in to the house/garage. I tried this. BAD IDEA. Got rust on tools from the moisture in the air. Never do that again...

One good thing is it keeps the snow from building up on the terminals of the transformer.

Tax them? They are being taxed. They are paying more energy bills. Plus many of these newer homes these couples live in are very, very well insulated. Plus its none of your, or mine, business where or how they live.

See above.

Edit...
I ain't gonna live long enough to do all the things I wanna.. so..
SOMEONE.. meaning a HSM'er.. needs to take the small steam car and make it work..
Hydrogen peroxide, pushed by a inert gas through a silver screen releases massive amounts of steam, a boiler can be condensed into the size of a lunchbox.. a triple expansion steam engine is still the most efficient engine I have saw for steam. Using pressure monitoring-cpu control for the pressure, a double pressure release, saftey relief valve, that pretty much handles all of those problems.. It was working out about level with gasoline at $3 per gallon in energy.. soon.. it will be much cheaper than gas.
Is it free energy... no.. unless you counted all the money in the bank that'd come in from it to supply yours..

Time for some "black rooster soup"... Home made cornbread.. and ice water.. whoopie.. When that hen crowed? I calculated we had about $20 in feed in that rascal.. it was not free either.

Do you know how incredibly caustic high purity Hydrogen Peroxide is? This is the stuff that was used in the German Messerschmidt 163 and 263 as an oxidizer. Truly nasty stuff. One of the strongest oxidizers known.

Because of its extreme oxidizing potential, T-stoff was an extremely dangerous chemical to handle, so special rubberized suits were required when working with it, as it would react with most cloth or other combustible material and cause it to spontaneously combust.

You want that in a car???

Dawai
08-09-2011, 07:30 PM
OR, you have to start heating with a fire in the kitchen sink.. no power.. then that insulation would come in handy.

We turned off our satellite provider.. Dish Network.. it was costing $65 a month. Put up a antennae (24 channels) I had , Bought a blue ray player ($125) that connects to our DSL, then Bought a 40inch HD flat screen.($495). saving the $65 a month it will be paid back in less than another month.
Netflix online, $9 a month.. cheaper than going to rent. We already had it, was getting them in the mail.. I like watching them online better. The discovery-documentaries are worth the fee.

Plus, my flat screen tele hooks to my computer there with a hdmi cable. More benefits, soon to be a savings each month. Downside? The tele has to "boot up" each time you turn it on.. a minor annoy.. There is a whole lotta "nothing" inside that television case.

We are getting "more" for less.. is that free?

Anything with repayment of investment by savings in a year or less has my attention.

Dawai
08-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Gasoline is pretty powerful stuff...

For a demonstration, take a bucket full, kick in a door, throw the bucket full of gas, then as you fumble for a match, it fumes.. then light it.. You will find yourself on the porch with your clothes smoking.

The H2O2.. well in a "rocket plane" that was a liquid catalyst.. mixing a drop from "two glass rods" shattered the windows in the hangar.. *near quote from memory..
BUT.. pushing it through a silver catalyst screen.. it produces instant steam..
NO pump, NO expensive systems other than a cpu to regulate pressure. A inert gas is what they use in the "drag race" models... I used CO2 here.
It is very controllable.

Run down, The pressure gas bottle pressurizes the H2O2 bottle, that is "valved" through a orifice into a silver screen catalyst.. That produces instant steam that can be used by a boiler to supply a small steam engine.

Is it safe? Is gasoline safe? Only when handled properly and kept away from Drunk bikers with a grudge. This steam "rockets" were running six and seven second quarter miles in the 70s.. You can throttle it.. No race car deaths I have read about. THOU them lil go-carts with the octagon shaped rockets did have a habit of hand grenading..

Edit:
I got a woodie...
http://www.tecaeromex.com/imagenes/kart/rk-22.JPG

philbur
08-09-2011, 07:47 PM
With the V gate motor it seems that the "free energy" is not actually free, it comes from the external forces applied to the driving magnet when it is retracted and then re-engaged with the magnetic field of the V gate. I think if all those home shop experimenters did the number crunching physics they might find where the energy came from.

The mechanical equivalent is a ball being rolling down hill. To keep the ball continuously rolling down the hill you input (potential) energy to the system when you carry the ball back to the top of the hill for the next cycle.

macona
08-09-2011, 07:49 PM
OR, you have to start heating with a fire in the kitchen sink.. no power.. then that insulation would come in handy.

We turned off our satellite provider.. Dish Network.. it was costing $65 a month. Put up a antennae (24 channels) I had , Bought a blue ray player ($125) that connects to our DSL, then Bought a 40inch HD flat screen.($495). saving the $65 a month it will be paid back in less than another month.
Netflix online, $9 a month.. cheaper than going to rent. We already had it, was getting them in the mail.. I like watching them online better. The discovery-documentaries are worth the fee.

Plus, my flat screen tele hooks to my computer there with a hdmi cable. More benefits, soon to be a savings each month. Downside? The tele has to "boot up" each time you turn it on.. a minor annoy.. There is a whole lotta "nothing" inside that television case.

We are getting "more" for less.. is that free?

Anything with repayment of investment by savings in a year or less has my attention.

But if a 5 bedroom, new house with two people is using less energy than a old 1 bedroom house with two people, who cares?

I ditched regular tvs. I use a 1080p projector with a 100" screen. Hooked up to my Mac Mini and XBox. Wheee... Oh, and 7.2 surround.

Sure, gasoline has the potential to be dangerous. But at worse if you get it on your skin it might be an irritant. H2O2 will eat through you.

If gasoline catches on fire you can put it out by depriving it of oxygen. H2O2 gets loose, it is the oxidizer and it is causing whatever it touches to burn.

H2O2 (T-Stoff) was used with Methanol/Hydrazine (C-Stoff). Hydrazine is horribly toxic.

H2O2 with silver catalyst was/is used for the bell jet pack and its knock offs.

Dawai
08-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Yes...

Mostly agreed upon.. Imagine thou a "steam car" you can flip a switch and have instant pressure.. perhaps it does not need to be fully H2O2? A quart would go a long way for Instant bursts of steam to get over hills, or up inclines.

This guy has been around a few years.. where that picture came from.
http://www.tecaeromex.com/ingles/karti.html he sells the catalyst packs.

ANOTHER lost idea? a flywheel car.. a gps reading the "oncoming" terrain to "build energy for the climb, or stop lights.. or... I remember doing a study saying a 7hp engine could "mostly" supply the needs for a car as light as a beetle..

In OUR HONDA Fit, we hit "turbo" climbing the hill I live on.. (turn off the ac)..

I'm going back to my corner now..

macona
08-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Even the low concentration H2O2 is pretty bad stuff. You have to be careful with the stuff you get at the beauty supply store, and that is only 4% (I think).

I think the kind of person who gets and uses one of those engines is probably a couple levels of competency than the average joe public.

Flywheels are nothing new either. I believe they are used in some bus like applications. There is also a device for vehicles that start and stop a lot. It uses a hydraulic system that when the brake is pressed the drive line starts running a hydraulic pump into an accumulator. When you accelerate the oil is ran back in to the pump which runs as a motor to give you a little boost.

I think your 7hp is the value they give for a car to stay at highway speeds.

Evan
08-09-2011, 08:52 PM
A Vgate on both sides of the belt, on the "last" magnet, the curvature of the pulley "lifts" the bar magnet in the belt covering off the travel path at a angle, reducing the "draw off force required".

Can't. The work input required to pull magnet A away from magnet B is exactly equal to the work done when magnet A approaches magnet B , plus losses.

It doesn't matter how it is done or the angle at which it happens or the time it takes. There isn't any way to cheat either.

wierdscience
08-09-2011, 08:52 PM
After thirty minutes of looking at the ever increasing number of "free"energy machines on Utube I now know why we are seeing higher prices for Rare Earths,copper and batteries:D

Arcane
08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Since the electric light bulb was mentioned earlier, here's the time line regarding it's "invention".

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bllight2.htm

A Wiki entry says of Sir Joseph Wilson Swan (31 October 1828 27 May 1914) that he was a British physicist and chemist, most famous for the invention of the incandescent light bulb for which he received the first patent in 1878.

However, (from http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Ontario/first_electric_light_bulb.htm)
In 1875, Edison purchased half of a Toronto medical electrician's patent to further his own research. That researcher was named James Woodward.

Woodward and a colleague by the name of Mathew Evans, described in the patent as a "Gentleman" but in reality a hotel keeper, filed a patent for the Woodward and Evan's Light on July 24, 1874.

Working at the Morrison's Brass Foundry on Adelaide St. West in Toronto, they built the first lamp with a shaped rod of carbon held between electrodes in an glass bulb filled with nitrogen.

Woodward and Evans were treated as cranks and subject to much public ridicule. "Who needs a glowing piece of metal!!" They attempted, with very little success, to form a company to raise money to refine and market their invention. (Where is the federal government when you really need them?)

In 1876, Woodward obtained a U.S. patent on his electric lamp and, in 1879, Edison considered it sufficiently important to completely buy out the patent from Woodward, Evans, and all their Canadian partners. Woodward sold a share of his Canadian patent to Thomas Edison in 1885.

If you go by patent dates, a couple of Canadians were first...

Dawai
08-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Yes.. it was a "drawbar" scale we used Towing a bug around. That was WAY back then. 7hp is what I remember calculating..

Some people are using a "solenoid" for the last magnet in the array. Where to get the power pulse to drive it thou? Input it from outside, and the system is now a loss. Cheaters huh? I see lots of THESE magnet motors with "real" motors driving them..

Who was it? Carl Sagan? that had the flywheel in his house?? I forget?? (Asimov??) sheesh.. more dead brain cells..

Edit:

BESIDES EVAN.. Think like OUR congress... if ya got three "going down the array" and ONE coming out? So.. at any time, you are ahead 3... IN eventuality, all will cancel each other "out".. if you gather a total sum, but.. there is always three more coming. MECHANICAL timing issue? the one entering, as the one exiting the last array cancels out each other... the ones traveling down the "two arrays" would provide the only forward motion. (one on front side, one back side of belt) so.. that's actually six providing motion and two canceled out by exiting the fields on belt..

And OUR Congress.. Ronald Reagan said.. Congress spends money like drunken sailors, but that would be a insult to Drunken sailors cause they are spending "their own money"...

I'm full of black rooster soup.. going to bed now.. She was named Henrietta, till she crowed..