PDA

View Full Version : How ALIGN: 2 shafts?

abi456
08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Realitively easy with a Mill ... but, only 'armed' with a DRILL-PRESS, I need some advice/suggestions ...

Mcgyver
08-09-2011, 07:22 PM
- use a wiggler...steady the point with fingers and visually place it right over the centre punch mark.

- what i usually do, let the twist drill find the centre mark itself with the work floating on the table or the drill vise floating on the table. This requires some common sense as to what's a safe combination of work mass/hole size. I also keep a large piece of angle clamped to the table so things can never get away.

- I've also been known to chuck a piece of steel with point turned on it, bring it down into the center punch and use it to pull the work into position then clamp. Not for extreme accuracy, but most drilling isn't

garagemark
08-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Align how?

Mark

tdmidget
08-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Need a lot more info. I'm in the alignment biz, but no mills or drill presses are used. What exactly are you trying to do?

Just Bob Again
08-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Get yourself an Align-O-Matic 2000. Best 2-shaft aligner you can get and only $3.95 at X-Mart.

In other words - more information???

Carld
08-09-2011, 08:02 PM
:confused: yes, way short of needed info to give any suggestions.

RussZHC
08-09-2011, 08:33 PM
If you are talking alignment as in centers touching nose to nose, I think I read somewhere that if the two shafts are the same diameters it actually is a bit easier to spot perfect alignment since you are not looking at a single point but rather the entire perimeters matching.

If you are talking end to end and different diameters previous suggestions...

If you are talking about to shafts parallel to each other in various planes, just out in space...various shafts being "aligned" with the lead screw on a lathe for example...

Like others, more info...

Your Old Dog
08-10-2011, 07:57 AM
- use a wiggler...steady the point with fingers and visually place it right over the centre punch mark.

- what i usually do, let the twist drill find the centre mark itself with the work floating on the table or the drill vise floating on the table. This requires some common sense as to what's a safe combination of work mass/hole size. I also keep a large piece of angle clamped to the table so things can never get away.

- I've also been known to chuck a piece of steel with point turned on it, bring it down into the center punch and use it to pull the work into position then clamp. Not for extreme accuracy, but most drilling isn't

I do what Mac does but I turn the chuck backwards by hand while exerting downward pressure and the piece usually walks over to center and stays there. Then I tighten the vice up carefully and recheck.