PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

loose nut
08-09-2011, 08:55 PM
1. I have a set of 5C collets by 32nds, is there much point to getting all the 64th collets that would make up a full set, would they get used enough to make it worth while. If I am turning a piece of off the shelf bar then it is probably one of the major diam. like 1/4, 1/2, 3/8 etc and if it is a second operation then I would try and size the part to use one of my existing collets. Is this flawed logic.

2. Are the dividing attachments for a H/V rotary table worth getting or are they difficult to use.

strokersix
08-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Metric collets are handy for small shaft work to fit standard metric bearings. I have 10,12,15,20,25 mm collets. I say this is more useful than 64ths.

I don't know about your rotary table but if you plan to do gear work you'll need to divide.

jimsehr
08-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I think in a home shop the smaller set is enough. But I would have a 5c emergency collet or two on hand just in case there is a need for a special
size.
Jim

Carld
08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
You can get by with your set if you have several thicknesses of shim stock to fill out the gap in a misfit collet to shaft size. The shim needs to be longer than the length of the jaws in the collet. Don't force an over size shaft in a collet.

Rosco-P
08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Buy them (64's) as you need them. You can sometimes get a good deal at an auction on a box lot of collets. Or from a machinery dealer. Sometimes they become so swamped in small tooling that nearly new collets can be had for as little as $5. Often many of the 64's turn out to be new or little used. The duplicates in other sizes come in handy as spares, especially when you hae other lathes, jigs and fixtures that use 5C collets. Hex and to a lesser degree square collets are also handy to have.

brian Rupnow
08-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I don't think you would get much use from 1/64 series collets. I have the divider plates for my rotary table, and although I have read up on the theory of using them, and watched videos showing how to use them, I haven't used them. I think it would be quite a challenge.

Arthur.Marks
08-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Agreed on their limited usefulness. That said, I bought an ultra-cheap set of 64th's. My standard sizes are all used Hardinge. I find the 64th's useful, but they are only so on stuff that isn't really a standard size anyway. Hence, the cheapo set. If I spring one, who cares. A better method would be the emergency collet route as mentioned above. Most of the time what I use them for, though, is hardly high-precision work ;)

gwilson
08-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Only you can answer that question. I have all the collets in 1/64'ths.,but some of the metal I pick up in junk yards is metric,so there are times when I need a 1/64" difference.

DATo
08-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I got the entire set (64ths) and they have come in quite useful. As gwilson said, it depends on your own personal needs. It was worth the price in peace of mind to me to know I wasn't going to have to improvise when I had a job with a deadline by having to jump through hoops to accomplish what would be easy with the right size collet. Also, if you have other devices which hold 5C collets, as I do, by having the whole set you compound the value of both the collet as well as the attachments by having the whole set.

v860rich
08-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Are the dividing attachments for a H/V rotary table worth getting or are they difficult to use.

I bought them when I bought my RT. I used them quite a bit at first but never for any real fancy dividing, just common stuff like 5 holes in a drive hub or 6 in a flange. You really don't need the plates for the simple stuff and I never did much that was too complicated.
Then I installed a DRO on the mill that has a bolt circle function, I've never broke out the plates again.
The last couple days I've been making a power drawbar for my step pulley BP clone. I used the rt to clean up the edges of a couple round plates, left the plates attached to the rt and used the DRO to add all my holes.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Paul Alciatore
08-10-2011, 01:21 AM
I am planning to get some 5Cs but will probably just get the 16ths. I can always order the others on a one by one basis as needed. Most projects require some order time for materials anyway so delays should be minimal.

I may get some metrics or square ones.

philbur
08-10-2011, 06:51 AM
The first time you struggle to get by without a 1/64th buy all the 64ths.

What I really think you are looking for is some moral support for buying more shiny metal tooling, whether you will ever have a real need for them is not a relevant question.;)

Phil:)

1. I have a set of 5C collets by 32nds, is there much point to getting all the 64th collets that would make up a full set, would they get used enough to make it worth while. If I am turning a piece of off the shelf bar then it is probably one of the major diam. like 1/4, 1/2, 3/8 etc and if it is a second operation then I would try and size the part to use one of my existing collets. Is this flawed logic.

2. Are the dividing attachments for a H/V rotary table worth getting or are they difficult to use.

loose nut
08-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Do we really ever need a good reason for buying more tools, it's a disease.

My main reason is, will the money spent on these collets be worth it or would it be spent better else were. Limited funds and I'm trying to finish outfitting my shop before retirement, I won't have much "tool" money then.

Abner
08-10-2011, 08:27 PM
You "NEED" both the 64'ths and a full set of metric, and the dividers to build what ever your next project is. I will swear on a stack of bibles to your wife they are required and save you a fortune.

Abner, will lie for cold beers.

baldysm
08-10-2011, 09:26 PM
I have a full set of 64's over about 1/4" up to 1-1/8". For my work, I don't really use small collets and have oddball sizes that I use all the time. I have everything by 1/16" (or is it 1/32"?) up to 1/4", but I have never used them, and seldom use anything smaller than 1/2" except for 3/8" for setup purposes.

So it really depends on what you do and the sizes that you work on. If your always using standard rod sizes, 1/64" is just a waste of money.

No matter what you do, you will always need a collet size that you don't have, and have collets you never use.

As far as the dividing attachments, it depends on how much you'll use them. They would probably be a challenge to use the first couple times, but if you use them every other day, it's easy to use.

Black_Moons
08-10-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't think 5C even with a 1/64 set will hold all stock properly, 5C does not hold anything worth a damn thats not DEAD on size.

Get ER32 or whatever if you wanna hold ANY stock. Get 5C for repeative jobs, If someday you really need a 5C whatever collet for an oddball job, get the emergency collets, the nearest 1/64 might not even fit anyway.

J Tiers
08-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Most of this stuff, when you need it , you need it, and up to that time it just takes up space. Same for after you need it....takes up space.

So, the question, with ANY tooling, is how valuable is space and money vs time, and how many times will you need it?

I like tools as much as anyone, but I've gotten selective.

I recall a recurring modification job that involved cutting two holes in thinnish sheet metal. I got tired of nibbling and filing, so I took some time and made a nice Greenlee style dual punch/die set to do the holes quickly and easily.

Naturally, I had to do that hole cutting a couple dozen times BEFORE I made the punch, but I have only had to use it about 2 or 3 times since. I guess I had already run through the population of items needing mods before I got the bright idea of a punch.

So if you need some of the 64th sizes a few times, maybe it makes sense to buy a set. And then, maybe not..... after you have 'em, you may not see another need for3 years.

Black moons is right.... if not dead on size, you will be nipping by an edge only, unless you screw it down really hard. I like the idea of the ER collets.... but I hate most of the holders. Some better ones are appearing it seems, that will hold long rod stock.

loose nut
08-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Well I have come to the conclusion that for my needs it would be better to get the 64THs up to about 3/8", maybe 1/2 eventually and stick to the 32THs above that. That should cover most of my needs. Getting another set like ER32's is not going to happen. As for the indexing attachment. It is a no go. I can get by with other methods for the little bit of work that I would have to have it for. Thanks guys.