PDA

View Full Version : OT- Fusing radiator hose

garagemark
08-10-2011, 07:16 PM
I have a 1973 MGB. The lower radiator hose has a 1" hose fused directly to it to circulate the heater core. Well, the darn thing is leaking (actually seeping) at the fused joint. It's a fairly new hose assembly and I hate to write it off.

Anyone know of a good way to either re-fuse the joint or repair it it in some other manner?

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/markandlucy/hose.jpg

Thanks,
Mark

macona
08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Maybe an innertube patch kit?

Doc Nickel
08-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Bicycle tire patch kit?

Use the vulcanizing compound inside the hole- car tire kits often come with a sort of "rat tail file" rasp for cleaning the hole to get fresh rubber. Once it's cured, cover the outside with a bicycle tire patch.

No guarantees, but it's worth a try.

Doc.

SGW
08-10-2011, 07:34 PM
That's a tough one. I assume the system is pressurized, which means to have any luck at all you will probably have to patch it from the inside. Even if it's not pressurized your best chance of success is an inside patch.

It looks as though you can sort-of reach the area from the end of the hose. I think I would buy some ShoeGoo (check its working temperature range to be sure it can take the heat), clean the inside surface of the hose with maybe lacquer thinner or something and abrade it to get a good bonding surface, and glop a bunch of ShoeGoo on the inside, covering the leak. ShoeGoo is a thick clear gel that is incredibly sticky and dries to a rubbery, flexible mass.

sasquatch
08-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Get some brass or copper tubing, and solder up a new piece eliminating that dumb set up, not original but certainly will eliminate that problem.

Just make up a "T".

aboard_epsilon
08-10-2011, 07:45 PM
they are about 9 ..just buy a new one ..not worth the risk

all the best.markj

DICKEYBIRD
08-10-2011, 07:55 PM
The earlier models had a cast steel elbow fitting with a nipple screwed in the top that used 3 "normal" hoses. I had a couple in my toolbox but gave them away to a friend in the business along with a bunch of other stuff I drug home when I worked for the local dealer. Wish I had all that stuff now.:(

Willy
08-10-2011, 09:10 PM
I would do as aboard_epsilon suggested and buy a new one as well.
Rad hoses are like wiper blades fan, belts, etc., expendables not worth fixing.

I did a quick search and found lots of sources for molded lower rad hoses like yours, anywhere from $9.95 to $30 for a nice blue silicone one that will last longer than the car itself.
I've had MGs and Triumphs before so I know this to be true.:D

I'm sure one of your favorite auto parts sources would find one without any trouble. Hey it's got to come off anyway in order to attempt a fix, may as well be done with it once it's off.

garagemark
08-10-2011, 09:27 PM
I concur. I'll buy a new hose.... but not from Moss Motors or Victoria British. This hose has been pressurized MAYBE six times. Chinese made for British cars! :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Mark

Black_Moons
08-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Ugh, Car parts piss me off. Can't even use a standardised hose.

Oldbrock
08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Measure the inside of the two hoses and make a brass "T" make 3 cuts and use three hose clamps and tell the Chinese auto parts makers to ************** if you get my drift. Peter

Willy
08-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Peter, to me the hose looks new.
It appears the OP has already spent good money for a replacement molded hose and received junk for his money.
No sense using what is obviously material of dubious quality. The repair procedure may be sound, but other than the brass pieces the hose may not last any longer than it did before.;)

Look for a blue silicone molded hose.
I see a lot of these type of hoses on construction equipment...they last, and are available for your MG.

Carld
08-10-2011, 10:25 PM
I too would split the hose and make a T adapter to repair it. That setup looks like a good place to loose an engine from hose failure. If you take it to car shows have an original hose to put on it at the meet. Just leave the coolant out and change the hose back at the end of the meet.

saltmine
08-11-2011, 01:57 AM
Actually, it's supposed to be molded in one piece, but the lack of fillets and improperly designed dies conspire to make these things leak.

I'd go with the idea of replacing a segment of the hose with brass pipe with the correct heater hose fitting soldered on.

A lot of late model cars and trucks use this same method on their hoses. If you wanted o try keeping the hose looking like the original, you might go to a well stocked auto parts store and ask to look at their stock of replacement hoses. There's a very good chance one of the replacement hoses (designed for another car) would be a perfect match with a little shortening here and there.. When I worked at an auto parts store, I was always amazed at the huge variety of hoses of all different shapes and sizes that were available.

Just don't get a parts guy with purple hair and a bunch of tats to help you.

aboard_epsilon
08-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Actually, it's supposed to be molded in one piece, but the lack of fillets and improperly designed dies conspire to make these things leak.

I'd go with the idea of replacing a segment of the hose with brass pipe with the correct heater hose fitting soldered on.

A lot of late model cars and trucks use this same method on their hoses. If you wanted o try keeping the hose looking like the original, you might go to a well stocked auto parts store and ask to look at their stock of replacement hoses. There's a very good chance one of the replacement hoses (designed for another car) would be a perfect match with a little shortening here and there.. When I worked at an auto parts store, I was always amazed at the huge variety of hoses of all different shapes and sizes that were available.

Just don't get a parts guy with purple hair and a bunch of tats to help you.

if you want fillets

here's the worse looking one ive ever seen ..boy its ugly

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Leyland-Lower-Radiator-Hose-1971-74-MGB-GRH498-/370392704044?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item563d20242c

all the best.markj

vpt
08-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I'd as well would replace the (saves us $1 doing it this way) pos rubber T with a metal one of some sort.

garagemark
08-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Damn, that's an original hose! It may not look pretty (though that's what it should look like), but they were hell for stout hoses. Being NOS, it might however be dry rotted or brittle.

If that guy didn't have such a high shipping charge (yeah I know it has to cross the pond), I might have considered it. However, my car is not concourse quality- the emission air pumps and stuff have been removed long ago and stored.

Still looking for this blue hose some of you are talking about.

vpt
08-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Blue hose? Blue is normally silicone hose.

http://www.motorhoses.co.uk/images/ASI%20Silicone%20Hose%20T-piece%203%20way%2051mm%20-%20Blue.jpg

vpt
08-11-2011, 10:28 AM
this one work?

http://www.gbcarparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CS-GRH240Silicone

aboard_epsilon
08-11-2011, 10:37 AM
this one work?

http://www.gbcarparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CS-GRH240Silicone

THE T HOSE WOULD ..IF IT'S THE RIGHT DIAMETER

but i think the mini one wouldn't ...probably smaller in diameter ..

the mini engine is an "A "series transverse engine

his is a "B" series longitudinally mounted.

ALL THE BEST.MARKJ

Forestgnome
08-11-2011, 01:58 PM
What a bad design!! Never owned a British car, but I heard they have a fair bit of poor engineering. I do love the styling though. Just put an American V8 in it.

Willy
08-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Still looking for this blue hose some of you are talking about.

I did have a US source for the hose yesterday and now I can't seem to find it, I know they are available.

Don't have to much time left before I have to go, but I'll look again later.
I the mean time have a look at some links I did find today.

From Great Britain:

A 1.64mb pdf lots of MGB parts here (http://www.bmh-ltd.com/brochures/2011%20mgb%20brochure.pdf)...scroll down to page 12 for the silicone hose kits.

Not sure if you do the Ebay thing, but here's a conventional lower hose for $9.00...$4.50 to ship. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MGB-Radiator-Hose-Lower-74-76-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4157f22957QQitemZ28064 8362327QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccess ories)

And another complete hose set. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MG-MGB-RADIATOR-HEATER-HOSE-SET-YEARS-72-74-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ead584cd0QQitemZ20047 6740816QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccess ories)

I'll have a look later again when I have more time.
Perhaps by then someone else will have found a source for you.:)

Willy
08-11-2011, 02:45 PM
What a bad design!! Never owned a British car, but I heard they have a fair bit of poor engineering. I do love the styling though. Just put an American V8 in it.

What bad design?
The rad hose?
Show me a car that doesn't have either a molded or proprietary hose design. Just about every application is designed to fit the unique confines found under the hood. Using a lower hose with a heater return port is quite common.

Black_Moons
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
What bad design?
The rad hose?
Show me a car that doesn't have either a molded or proprietary hose design. Just about every application is designed to fit the unique confines found under the hood. Using a lower hose with a heater return port is quite common.

I forget the car, but last (only..) car I did a heater core swap on, Had the heater as part of the motors coolant loop. Sure as hell would of been easy just to buy a 12" length of hose and bypass the heater (Had two fitings comming OUT of the engines coolant loop at the rear of the engine).... But then, Canada winters...

The heat was controled by valving the air away or towards the heater core.

aboard_epsilon
08-11-2011, 03:44 PM
The absolute worse repair job on most cars is the heater core ..that's the first part that is bolted into the car.

and the longest bad arse job you are ever going to do .

id rather do an engine swap ..quicker and easier .

well it would be if i was fit enough

all the best.markj

GKman
08-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Proof that Lucas had a half-wit bastard brother.

rohart
08-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Forest - the MGB GT V8 did have, well a V8 in it.

So did the Sunbeam Alpine - they called it the Tiger.

But before they put the V8 in the B, they put a 6 cyl in line 3 litre. That's the model with the bulge in the bonnet.

Now, ordinary MGB GTs were prone to going straight on at wet corners.

Guess how the 3 litre handled !

Chester
08-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Just cut it out, as others have suggested, like this and braze/weld on the needed leg. This is an extension so an existing rad hose could be reused......just a piece of appropriate exhaust tubing, similar to what was on flat head Ford V-8's.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6229/extendedradhose.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/extendedradhose.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Willy
08-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Now here is what a bad design looks like.
1997 and up Ford F-150.

Here's what's involved for a heater core replacement.
Treat your cooling system like it is your best friend, because if you don't it could be your worst enemy.:eek:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/250willy/14dae557.jpg

saltmine
08-12-2011, 01:45 AM
On most late model Chevies, it's six-to-eight 7mm screws holding a cover onto the bottom of the A/C ducting, and a small strap with two more screws to hold the core in place. It usually takes longer to remove the hoses out on the firewall and drain the coolant than it does to replace the core.

On my old S-10, I pulled the radio and replaced the heater core in 30 minutes with nothing but hand tools, in my driveway.

Gotta love those F-150's. Nobody ever got rich changing those heater cores.

saltmine
08-12-2011, 01:52 AM
I had a British Sports Car once. It was a 1964 Triumph TR-4.
I got it and a 1965 Chevelle in trade for an old Cadillac. The TR-4 had a number of holes in the radiator and the head gasket was blown....but it still ran.
I traded the Chevelle for enough money for radiator repairs and gaskets & seals to replace the head gasket. That took a whole half-a-Saturday. Great little car...once you became familiar with the British quirky engineering. I drove it for a couple of years, until I parked it on Topanga Canyon Blvd, in the middle of Canoga Park, California, one evening. When I came out the next morning, the car was gone...never to be seen again.