PDA

View Full Version : OT, cheap shipping

quadrod
08-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Hate to ask an off topic question, but some day there will be some machining involved. I need to ship an engine and transmission on a pallet from California to Arkansas. Does anyone on the forum here have any past or present experience with such a thing. I got one quote of 650 from freightquote.com and one of 300 from forwardair. Thanks.

Carld
08-11-2011, 10:47 PM
UPS and FEDEX have palletised freight shipping.

Patch
08-12-2011, 12:16 AM
If you want it damaged, use "freightQuote".
If you want it to sit several weeks on a reroute distribution dock before they have a truckload on route to location, use "FreightQuote".
If you fail to get additional insurance, something "FreightQuote" quickly passes in conversation, due to their lazyness, you're risking no repayment compensation and weeks to rectify when your freight is damaged.
If you're using "FreightQuote", inform whomever you speak with that this conversation is being recorded, and I do mean "RECORD IT".
If your using "FreightQuote", keep all copies of Email and all transactions.
Why pay a "Broker" such as "FreightQuote" to do what you can do. They are a terrible brokerage, middleman, raping additional funds from people shipping their goods at the expense of the independant truckers and companys.

Twice, I fell to their bungling and sidesteps and never again.

I do a fair amout of shipping goods and after some trials found

http:www.Uship.com/freight/

to be about the best.

It takes a little work getting used to the ins-and-outs of shipping but with
Uship, they answer all your questions, give excellent advice, and carry thru with what they say.

Note: Fully crate item/s on pallet without hangover. Using plywood may seem a little much but it will insure a better delivery without problems.
Mark the crate "Top Heavy" and "Lift from this side only".

It's always best I have found to use a flatbed trailer service when shipping.
Seems using an enclosed trailer van increases costs and damages are more prone while loading or unloading.

Best of luck.

ckelloug
08-12-2011, 02:04 AM
I haven't really compared prices lately but I have an account with FedEx Freight and have had good luck with them shipping industrial items. My last shipment was a pallet with a 100 year old surface grinder and drill grinder from Dayton OH, to Huntsville, AL for about $600.

Dawai
08-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Hitch a ride with a Hamb member if you can..
www.jalopyjournal.com forum.

Anyone going that way with a car trailer or?? pay some of his fuel costs.

I shipped a Harley to Arizona, was $650 three or so years ago. Fuel for my small truck would have been that much.

flylo
08-12-2011, 02:25 PM
See correct contact info below.:(

macona
08-12-2011, 02:56 PM
If you're using "FreightQuote", inform whomever you speak with that this conversation is being recorded, and I do mean "RECORD IT".

Thats illegal in a lot of states.

I have used this guy in the past. Good prices:

John Paul Demko Jr.
Specialty Transport Solutions
1-860-828-3286
Fax: 1-860-828-1713
jpdemko@spectransport.com

flylo
08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Call Engine Shippers 800-998-2100. I had a 600# aircraft engine shipped for $189 to Michigan from southern California & one from New York state for about the same. You can't beat them.
Sorry, I had 1 extra 0 in the 1st reply.