PDA

View Full Version : Pillar tool

baldysm
08-12-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm keeping up with the shop made tools thread and on page 136 there is a pillar tool.

I have seen the tool a few times in the past, including the castings source.

What do you do with it?

I'd make it, but not seeing a use for it at this point.

TGTool
08-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Well, if you were to go back to the GH Thomas articles, or the book compendium of some of his projects all would be revealed. IIRC, it started out as a tapping aid for very small taps and then came to include staking and riveting for small model rivets. Stamping numbers was a logical extension, and if you were tapping tiny threads you'd probably want a sensitive drill to go with it. The photo has got some other extension the builder may have come up with on his own, such as one that looks like a chuck adapter, and some of which aren't yet obvious to me but show evidence of having been nicely thought through.

ldbent
08-12-2011, 07:27 PM
25 odd years ago my Dad picked up a post drill at a farm auction as a gift for me. A post drill resembles a very heavy, crude appearing pillar tool. They are nearly all castings with steel being limited to shafts and fasteners. They feature strong arm power source and ratchet down feed. The chuck is a piece of bar stock bored to 0.500 inches. Tools are clamped in the chuck with a square headed set screw. It appears the chuck was designed for Silver & Deming drills with a flat on the shank. The chuck is really quite concentric and could easily be replaced with a modern key or key less chuck. The swing on most I've seen is about 15 inches. Back then at least one post drill could be had at every farm auction for around 10 bucks. My example weighs around 90# and features a tilting table. I'm guessing the design dates to the 1890's or so and was never updated. I'm guessing production ceased sometime before rural electrification neared completion.

Thanks,
Larry

Mcgyver
08-12-2011, 07:38 PM
I have seen the tool a few times in the past, including the castings source.

What do you do with it?

I'd make it, but not seeing a use for it at this point.

limited by your imagination. tapping (super fine to medium), staking, riveting, small precision drilling, number punching etc......here's a thread where I put up some pics of it in various configurations as well as the accessories you can make for it. On mine, arms base and table are from castings, drill from bar stock...castings are worth it imo, the have a better 'feel' to them that I guess comes from the vibration damping.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27980