PDA

View Full Version : Question for Logan lathe owners

SteveG_CT
08-13-2011, 02:00 AM
I just picked up a Logan 920 lathe this afternoon. It's in excellent shape but unfortunately the "pegleg" that supports the countershaft assembly was missing. It should be easy enough to fabricate a new one but having never seen one in person I was hoping that another Logan lathe owner could hook me up with some pictures and possibly dimensions to use as a reference.

Thanks.

RussZHC
08-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Not an owner, but going by the drawing at the following link, not sure any dimension except height is important (and that will depend on what bench you mount it on?)

http://www.lathes.co.uk/logan/page6.html

last item on page

J Tiers
08-13-2011, 10:08 AM
A piece of pipe should work fine, it seems that many Logan owners do that. Set up so the drive box is about level.

I don't have one on my 200, it has a Southbend countershaft, and the resulting 'LogaBend" unit is particularly easy to use. I found the complex "drive box" setup that the Logan at my FILs had to be clumsy and bulky, hard to adjust, and a general pain.

IIRC, the FILs Logan had a piece of pipe.

Duffy
08-13-2011, 11:12 AM
I have a Logan 820. I just measured the leg and it is 1.633" x 22" give or take. Mine was missing its rubber foot so I counterbored a block of hardwood.
I would bet that the castings are identical for both the 820 and 920. I assume that the funky diameter is 1 1/4" schedule 40 black iron or something equally complicated. The length can be adjusted at the casting as it is held by two set screws.
Hope that helps.

SteveG_CT
08-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks Duffy. I suppose I'll just use a piece of pipe with a flange for the foot and a plate welded on the other end. There is a jack screw where the countershaft rests on the support that looks like it will provide around 1" of adjustment so the length shouldn't need to be too precise.

gwilson
08-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I bought a 10" Logan for my step father. It just had a pipe for a leg.The Logan in the movie"October Sky" also had a pipe leg,I believe.The machinist was making the stainless rocket nozzle on it.

gellfex
08-13-2011, 06:27 PM
I bought a 10" Logan for my step father. It just had a pipe for a leg.The Logan in the movie"October Sky" also had a pipe leg,I believe.The machinist was making the stainless rocket nozzle on it.

It's funny, I watched that movie with the family last month and shouted "that's my lathe!" I have the cast leg and the 4 legs and pan set.

john11668
08-13-2011, 06:38 PM
For a Logan !
A fence post sawn to a suitable length should be in keeping with the machine :rolleyes:

Duffy
08-14-2011, 12:03 AM
As a matter of fact, it would work just fine. However, the comment DOES have distinct overtones of tool snobbery.
Share with us poor Logan owners precisely what wonderful piece of machining iron you have that prompts a comment like that, even in jest!
Logans are still well supported by the Logan Actuator company. That is more than can be said for just about ALL North American brands. My Pratt & Whitney is an orphan and my Standard Modern relies on Leblonde for parts. They freely admit that they actually only have the drawings and specs and have parts made more or less on receipt of an order.
I think that it is a fair statement that just about ANY make, in good nick, beats the hell out of no lathe at all!:rolleyes:

J Tiers
08-14-2011, 12:28 AM
They also are a pretty good machine, in their own right.

Heavier-built than any Atlas, and most Southbend of similar size.

I HAVE heard of them being described as "little chatterboxes" by folks who run 20" Monarchs or Springfields, but...............

Yes, fencepost would work, though. So will pipe, and it might be cheaper :D

gbritnell
08-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Nice point Duffy. A fellow asks for help and gets sarcasm!
gbritnell

macona
08-14-2011, 02:29 PM
As a matter of fact, it would work just fine. However, the comment DOES have distinct overtones of tool snobbery.
Share with us poor Logan owners precisely what wonderful piece of machining iron you have that prompts a comment like that, even in jest!
Logans are still well supported by the Logan Actuator company. That is more than can be said for just about ALL North American brands. My Pratt & Whitney is an orphan and my Standard Modern relies on Leblonde for parts. They freely admit that they actually only have the drawings and specs and have parts made more or less on receipt of an order.
I think that it is a fair statement that just about ANY make, in good nick, beats the hell out of no lathe at all!:rolleyes:

Monarch will get you just about any part you want for your lathe. Some parts will be cheap, some will have two to three more zeros than you think they should have.