PDA

View Full Version : OT Cord/air hose jib

Abner
08-13-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't know quite where to put this. There was a thread on hose reels which this isn't and this isn't quite nice enough for 'shop tools'.

I got tired of stepping, tripping, and rolling on cords and air hoses.

This fits between the bottom of my lights and above my head - two critical design parameters. Super easy to build. Swings out for working on equipment and under for working on a bench and welding table.

The clutter in my shop will make everyone feel better about the cleanliness of their own...:rolleyes:

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa477/mfnsy/Cord%20jib/DSCN8558.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa477/mfnsy/Cord%20jib/DSCN8559.jpg

Black_Moons
08-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Looks like the same tundra air hose I use, Wonderful stuff.

Wish I could find it (localy) in 1/2.. Not that I really do anything that needs a 1/2" ID hose anymore.

Scottike
08-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Nice solution to keeping cords & hoses off the floor. I saw a fellows shop where he made something similar, but it was two sections that were hinged in the middle, mounted to the wall at about 4' high. Each section was about 12' long and he mounted his mig welder on the end of it. when it wasn't in use it swung over against the wall and when he wanted to use it he could swing it over all of the engines, work benches, and other stuff he had sitting on the floor to reach the area he wanted to use it.
Of course it truly was a dream shop. Had a room for his machine tools,
next to the room for his woodworking tools, an office, compressor/sand blast room, you get the idea...

Black_Moons
08-13-2011, 02:44 PM
oh.. gotta ask, What is that huge white monstrosity in the 2nd picture? :)

bborr01
08-13-2011, 02:56 PM
oh.. gotta ask, What is that huge white monstrosity in the 2nd picture? :)

Foundry Furnace?

Edit:

Abner,

I think your jib setup is plenty nice to be posted in the shop made tools thread.

After all, it is a shop made tool.

Brian

Abner
08-13-2011, 04:14 PM
The white monstrosity.....is a prototype gasifier. I tell my kids I want a Mr Fusion for christmas, this is a close as I think I will ever get and the next best thing(maybe)
The lid 8" diameter is where the wood chips go. The white shell makes the gases flow next to the fuel shell heating them before they go to the reduction zone (not shown, lower down). The gases then exit the yellow 1" pipe to where they will need to be cleaned and cooled before entering the 10 HP wisconsin I have for the project.
The outer ring is to preheat the intake air. The lower end(not shown) has the reduction zone with 5 nozzles. The chemical reduction of wood and the chemical reactions that can be created need temperatures @1200 F which is why I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone by cooling the gasses while simultaneously heating both the wood chips and the combustion air. Finding anything that will withstand 1200 deg F with exposure to wood acids and alcohols is a question.
Evidently you can react water and glowing charcoal, if hot enough, and get Hydrogen and Carbon monoxide which are both flammable and combustible in an engine. There are practical limits to how much water you can react because you need both carbon and the high temps.

It's hardly past first base and I'm ready for a re-design....

sasquatch
08-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Abner thanks for posting the neat shop pics,, and yes,, they should be in the shop made tools category.

I Like your'e stove.. -about the best fast heat stove one can build and inexpensive also.