PDA

View Full Version : Pantograph style tool support

brian Rupnow
08-13-2011, 12:42 PM
I need some help locating a source for a pantograph style tool support. I have seen these before for industrial use, where an operator has to use a heavy tool (like a drill or engraver) at a workbench. The tool must maintain a vertical axis, but be free to move right/left/foreward/backward or vertically, guided by the operator.The pantograph has a tension spring on it to offset the weight of the tool being manipulated. The non moving end of the pantograph is mounted to a wall or a round post to let it swivel. I have just spent half an hour on the internet searching, but couldn't find a supplier. Can anyone help please.---Brian

demerrill
08-13-2011, 12:51 PM
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=43022

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=46332

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCTappingArm.htm

David Merrill

brian Rupnow
08-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Thank you. Thats exactly what I was looking for.---Brian

gwilson
08-13-2011, 03:01 PM
One of those with a small router would be a good way of routing the edge bindings of guitars once the guitar body was secured with its edge parallel to the bench top so that the cuts would be square. I've thought about making 1 for years.

bborr01
08-13-2011, 03:17 PM
I was just browsing some of those old threads and got kind of nostalgic for a moment seeing all those posts from Oldtiffie.

But I suppose that after over 4 BILLION posts, his fingers probably got pretty tired.:p

Brian

gwilson
08-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Over 4 BILLION? He joined in 1999. That's over 200,000 posts A DAY??? What am I doing wrong?

lynnl
08-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Over 4 BILLION? He joined in 1999. That's over 200,000 posts A DAY??? What am I doing wrong?

I remember noticing that something was screwy with his profile/join date/post count from the outset.
This forum was not in being in 1999. I think it started about 2001.
I think that will show up if you go back to the oldest page.

ftownroe
08-13-2011, 08:47 PM
David,
I loved the link that you posted for the CNC Pantograph Arm and links to Sir John's project. Does anyone know if there are written plans for the CNC project or a similar non-CNC project. I would love to make it ut do not have any CNC machines to utilize the G-Codes he uses. Thanks all

brian Rupnow
08-14-2011, 01:25 PM
The contractor who was here last week expressed interest in having a large pantograph device designed and built for his mini excavator to aid in manipulating a post driver.

EddyCurr
08-14-2011, 02:22 PM
I loved the link that you posted for the CNC Pantograph Arm and links to
Sir John's project. Does anyone know if there are written plans for the CNC
project or a similar non-CNC project. I would love to make it but do not have
any CNC machines to utilize the G-Codes he uses.I believe that the drawings on the CNCCookbook site are for Bob Warfield's project.

My vote is that there is no special requirement for CNC fabrication of such
a project. Size up the available space, the extent of tool reach desired
and the means of attaching the tapping head, then begin building.

Dawai
08-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Pretty cool.

Pneumatic locks on the joints or at least the swivel would make me happy.
Go cart disc brakes and the 1" cylinders I got about.

DR
08-15-2011, 10:12 AM
David,
.................................................. .......................................

I would love to make it ut do not have any CNC machines to utilize the G-Codes he uses. Thanks all

It's really odd to give Gcode for a project.

First off, it'll ll only run on a specific machine which not everyone has. Even if you did have the same control, would you trust somebody else's code on your expensive machine?

Dawai
08-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Silly Chillen, just do a "subtraction" of X, Y, Z.. lay it out on Paper, punch through paper, drill go on about your life.

OR print it out 1:1 in autocad after import, punch through paper, drill... etc..

The rotary hole programs I wrote work the same way on manual equipment.

If you have readouts?? you are a mile ahead, zero at hole, move to "math" of offset x and y.. go on.. drill next hole.. repeat till done..

Everyone here, able to log onto a computer is smarter than a cnc.. it can not figure out crap.. it has to follow instructions.. right or wrong, does not care the least about a $40 endmill... a typo will crash it.