PDA

View Full Version : kindle ?

Alistair Hosie
08-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Bronwen want a kindle or similar what should I look out for seemingly theres a better one in the usa but it's not out in uk yet.Are they all the same kindles I mean or do they come with different spec? what'sthe best uk deal available?Please Alistair

Mark Hockett
08-13-2011, 12:58 PM
My wife has both a Kindle and an ipad with the Kindle app. She recommends getting the ipad instead of the Kindle as it is easier to read books and it is far more useful.

plastikosmd
08-13-2011, 02:27 PM
the kindle screen is great for sunlight reading. Having said that, I got rid of mine after I got my Ipad. way more handy

MichaelP
08-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't know what's available in the UK, but everyone in my family loves his/her Kindle Wi-Fi. I bought about a dozen of them over the last few years as gifts, and people (myself included) are in love with them.

You don't really need the more expensive 3G versions unless you don't have an access to a computer connected to the Internet.

P.S. I could never find a single valid reason to buy an I-pad. If you want to read books, buy a much smaller Kindle. If you need a small computer, buy a netbook. IMO, I-Pad is a typical overhyped and overpriced "Jack of all trades, master of none". In addition to this, you have to deal with the intrusive Apple approach where everything is proprietary and is forced down your throat from the moment you register it. The toy looks really nice, though.

I guess, to each his own. :)

danlb
08-13-2011, 03:37 PM
There are different specs, but I can't really say what is available in the UK.

I CAN tell you that the people I know who have a Kindle really, really like them. The battery lasts for weeks at a time. Maybe I just don't hear from the ones that have gone to iPads or other readers.

Just a side note, the Kindle app is available for Android tablets as well as for the iPad. I use it on my android cell phone (which has a high resolution 4.3 inch screen) and find it very convenient. It's very usable. It is really nice to have a book to read wherever I go.

Dan

aboard_epsilon
08-13-2011, 03:45 PM
i thought you were wanting to make a fire . :D

all the best.markj

Alistair Hosie
08-13-2011, 04:43 PM
only burning a hole in my pocket mark:D Alistair

aboard_epsilon
08-13-2011, 04:58 PM
only burning a hole in my pocket markAlistair
nooo you mean your purse :D

http://www.proudlyscottish.com/acatalog/tartanpursekeyring.jpg

found a good avatar for you whilst looking for that .. :D

http://giggles.arisia-web.co.uk/pictures/small/21821.jpg

all the best.markj

madwilliamflint
08-13-2011, 05:02 PM
I bought one of the original kindles and I've adored it for years. That said, I bought a tablet and pulled the Kindle (and nook) App on it.

Yeah reading is a real problem with the glare. I'm going to get one of those satin-finish screen protectors for it. But the general utility of the device is so great that my kindle hasn't left the house in a month.

The tablet (an Android tablet, the ASUS TF-101) comes with me every day.

As much of an Amazon Fanboy as I am I can't deny that having the tablet outweighs the advantage of the readability in glare conditions of the kindle.

Alistair Hosie
08-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Mark thats the cheapest nastiest tackiest looking sporran I have ever seen where did you steal it:D Alistair

Forrest Addy
08-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Aint a sporran, It's a Scotch athletic supporter with a webcam on it.

MichaelP
08-13-2011, 08:01 PM
...Scotch athletic supporter with a webcam on it.

A webcam with a unique point of view...

lazlo
08-13-2011, 10:14 PM
When John was posting about reading back-issues of MEW with a Kindle, I placed an order for one, then canceled it when I saw the Barnes & Noble Nook Color. It has a 7" high resolution IPS screen, which is simply gorgeous. The Nook Color is actually a 1.2 Ghz Android tablet, and it's dirt simple to install Gingerbread, in which case you have a $180 mini iPad.

From looking at the two (Kindle and Nook Color) side-by-side, I'd go with a color tablet if you're going to read inside, and an e-Ink reader if you're going to be reading outside.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/NookColors.jpg

spongerich
08-13-2011, 10:52 PM
I love my kindle. My wife thought it was ridiculous but since I had a book that she wanted to read, she borrowed it for a few days. After that, she was hooked. Don't know if it's a UK model, but she's got the "Kindle with Special Offers" it shows ads and coupons on the screen when it's turned off and a little banner on the menu screen... cost $114.

One thing I like about the kindle is that it's cheap enough that if I leave it on the train, I'll be annoyed, but not nearly as pissed off as I'd be if I lost a $900 iPad.

Black_Moons
08-14-2011, 12:56 AM
a friend of mine has one of those cheaper e-ink readers. I was AMAZED at its resolution, even at the smallest font settings, commas for example where not just a dot, but clearly a rounded dot with a straight little dash... More resolution/better font rendering then my PC screen to be honest.

At that font size, commas where hardly a spec, and I had to look REALLY hard to notice the detail, but it was there.. Kinda too small to read at that setting, unless you like fine print, but it still rendered everything wonderfuly.

I was very doubtful of e-ink readers, especialy the cheap ones, but just a little hands on time has totaly changed my mind.

macona
08-15-2011, 02:15 PM
One thing I like about the kindle is that it's cheap enough that if I leave it on the train, I'll be annoyed, but not nearly as pissed off as I'd be if I lost a $900 iPad.

$900? Where do you live? Mars?

mlucek
08-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongerich

$900? Where do you live? Mars?
I just purchased an iPad2 - 3 days ago for a buddy's wedding present. The top end iPad2 (64G mem + 3G AT&T/Verizon) from Apple is $829 + tax is almost $900, so no, the orig. poster is from this planet :p I was in & out of the Apple store in < 10 mins !

32G mem/3G = $729 = ~$800
16G mem/3G = $629 = ~$700

Yes, WiFi versions with smaller memory sizes start out at ~$500.

I surprised :eek: my friend and his new wife last Sat at his reception with the iPad. He's been drooling over it since it came out :D

I told him to NOT open it on his wedding nite. His new wife said something to the effect of, that "I'm so tired I'm going to bed." I told my buddy that he had his wife's permission to play with his new toy :D When we all got together yesterday morning, I teased him how late he stayed up playing with the iPad ...... he gave me the politically correct answer of, "It's still in the box, you can ask my wife." LOLOL .... see how long he holds out. Also told him the cliche, "What's her's is her's, and what's yours is her's ...." So he'll have to limit his hours on the iPad to SWMBO's marching orders ....

One of the biggest reasons for purchasing a Kindle (yes, I have one) is the wonderful battery life. Without using WiFi/3G you can get up to a month between recharges. An iPad lasts about 8-10 hours on a charges; less if you're doing a lot of web surfing/videos/etc. over 3G that gulps your battery dry in 4-5 hours or less. Kindle is definitely small and lighter then an iPad and 1/4 or less the $ of an iPad.

Having the Kindle app for my iPhone is pretty sweet too. I can read my eBooks on either the iPhone or Kindle (or PC/Android/etc.) and it syncs between the devices so I can pick up where I left off when switching devices.

There are very strong rumors that the next Kindle version will actually be an Android-powered tablet.

Barnes & Noble's Nook is Android powered. It's "reader" only version is very similar to the current Kindle, but also includes a touch screen interface and a similar long battery life.

I certainly can't deny the eye-appeal of the iPad. I drooled waiting for Verizon to finally get the iPhone and bought the 1st day it was available back in Feb. and have never regretted it since. Battery life is crap too, but you learn to keep chargers wherever you spend your time - work, car, home, shop, commode, etc.

As for being locked into Apple's world view, well there's the jailbreak world that open's things up to some very cool hacks and widgets, that many wish Apple should have included. In fact, iOS 5 coming out this fall has adopted many of the jailbreak world's hacks and extensions into the iPhone/iPad.

I still can't justify an iPad for myself ..... yet .... and the Android tablets are starting to become more useful too.

Mike

Alistair Hosie
08-15-2011, 03:04 PM
My son Russell has an ipad , and I have decided to buy a kindle for Bronwen ,what does the main difference between the one at 111 and the ohter at 159 or thereabouts ? is it memory or what? what should I look for ? I suppose the simplest one would be fine but I'd rather get the dearer one if it's a lot better I aint to well up on computer dialect so please advise? What's 3g also? Alistair

lazlo
08-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Alistair, I don't know if this is too much information, but Amazon is about to release the Kindle Color, and the iPad 3 is supposedly going to be launched on September 7.

Might be worth looking at, if you're not in a hurry.

As for being locked into Apple's world view, well there's the jailbreak world that open's things up to some very cool hacks and widgets, that many wish Apple should have included.

Most of the hacks enabled by Jailbreaking circumvent the crappy AT&T network limitations: Facetime over 3g, WiFi sync, WiFi connection sharing...

Apple will never enable those features, because the AT&T network can't handle it.

john clements
08-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Do they make them in green?

John

SDL
08-16-2011, 11:27 AM
My son Russell has an ipad , and I have decided to buy a kindle for Bronwen ,what does the main difference between the one at 111 and the ohter at 159 or thereabouts ? is it memory or what? what should I look for ? I suppose the simplest one would be fine but I'd rather get the dearer one if it's a lot better I aint to well up on computer dialect so please advise? What's 3g also? Alistair

Alistair they are the same other than the 159 pound one can download using 3g (mobile phone network) the cheaper one just uses wifi to download your books, newspapers, pdf etc etc.

As others have said the main advantage is long battery life and been able to read in the sunshine, currently on hols in Portugal reading books by the pool on crystal clear screen. You do need ambient light natural or artificial as there is no back lighting. I'm delighted with mine go the the 111 one at staples no adverts.

Steve Larner