PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up on prices on a large used lathe ?

hd28vsb
08-13-2011, 06:28 PM
I am hoping someone can give me a ballpark range on the price of a lathe .
It is a 20 X 80 Longem lathe , which I believe is a Chinese lathe. It is a year 2000 model . Appears to be in excellent shape , looks as if it has been hardly ran at all . I believe it has 3 and 4 jaw chuck and steady/follow rest . Based on what I described any ideas on what it could be worth ?

Thanks

goose
08-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Your local magazine stand probably carries the most recent Kelly Blue Book lathe edition.

PixMan
08-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Worth?

Well to me, fiddybucks.

To the seller, probably somewhere north of $20K up to as much as $40K. It all depends upon apparent build quality, is it truly in good shape, can it be seen under power, and does it come with any tooling at all? How about taper attachment, chucks, toolpost, tailstock tooling, etc?

toolmaker76
08-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Saw a Lodge & Shipley that size or bigger in excellent shape sell for $700 a couple of weeks ago, the tool post on the lathe cost more than that.

I was talking to a friend of mine today about it, who had also been at the auction, and we both made the observation that it seems the bigger equipment sells for less than the smaller stuff. Seen a few of those cases over the past couple of years; I really regret not having the money to get in on that one.

Not everyone can handle the big stuff, where just about anyone can find the space in their garage for a 14 x 40.

That being said, I have no idea what the lathe you described would be worth, but if you are patient you could probably find a cheaper alternative.

Robin R
08-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Used machine prices can vary a lot based on your location, so not posting that makes it a lot harder to give an idea on price. It looks like they may be a copy of a Colchester lathe, which could be in its favor.

That's a large heavy lathe, possibly closing 3 tons, are you sure you want something that size. Here is a link to a dealer of these machines, so it could be worth contacting them for an idea of its value. http://www.malmachinery.com/logem.htm

hardtail
08-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Buddy bought a really nice 16x60 last year for ~6K IIRC..........sounds like similar condition to this one.

PixMan
08-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Once you get above 16" swing, the prices start to go up exponentially. My dad's 16x40 was nearly free, and came in good condition with lotsa tooling.

At 18" and above, you are out of even the "substantial" home shop machines, which I consider to be in the 13" to 17" range. At 20" swing and 80" between centers on a 2000 model year, it's got some value.

I might be able to find something that new in the sub-$20K range, but it's going to be either bare bones or beat.

JoeFin
08-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Given it'll cost $1000 - $3000 to get in on the back of the trailer. ....

I was offered a 24" LeBlond for $1500 because of this

The Artful Bodger
08-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Google it, you will find them for sale by dealers in very tidy condition for $10K.

gwilson
08-13-2011, 11:14 PM
A 20" X 80" lathe isn't all that big. However,when they do get big,they bring less proportionally than smaller lathes. Smaller lathes useful to home shop users sell better.

P.S.: That lathe looks a lot like one of the large,cheaper model lathes that Enco sells. Just has different paint. I don't have a catalog handy,but they aren't real expensive. Look up Enco's lathes.

P.P.S.: I looked it up for you. It is EXACTLY the same lathe,Enco brand,#505-1206,cost $12,878.98. I doubt anyone else will beat that price. It was a little trouble finding it in the online catalog,but with the model#,you will do o.k..

PixMan
08-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I was WAY off. I went looking on Ebay and found plenty of them for $15K and under, with most of the decent-looking ones in the range of $9K to $13. I did see a rather good-looking Harrison M400 18x60 for the lower end of that.

hd28vsb
08-14-2011, 09:31 AM
The price on the lathe is $6500 , which appears to be roughly half the price of a new one . Assuming it is as clean and tight as I described do you think $6500 is a ok price?

Thanks

PixMan
08-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Seems like a fair price, especially if it includes some of the tooling, and/or any taper attachment, steady and follower rests, coolant system, etc.

John Stevenson
08-14-2011, 09:38 AM
No, It's 11 years old it will be off the books by now and have a value of say $100.
It will be sold to a dealer for $500 to $900 tops.
So work out the markup and what it's worth.

A TOS lathe over here of this age and size is worth 3000 tops

davidwdyer
08-14-2011, 10:02 AM
As someone else already mentioned, don't forget the cost of loading, unloading and shipping. With something that big, this could add up.

PixMan
08-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I think it's going to take a lot more than $2000 to $3000 to get it, but it's always worth a try.

I've got a 1974-vintage Victor 1640 lathe that I'm sure I could get $1800 to $2200 for tomorrow to an end user. You could perhaps double it if I started throwing in all the like-new chucks, faceplate, steady rest, CA-size QCTP (with 14 holders), DRO and other tooling bits. Barebones to a dealer (with just the steady, old DRO and a beat-up 3-jaw I still have), it would still get $800 to $1000 because these are still a very popular lathe despite being nearly 40 years old and a Taiwan import.

Just like a car, a machine is worth whatever you can get for it if selling and whatever you're willing to pay if buying. Pricing influences include how many are nearby, how many people are out looking for one, overall age and condition of those offered, how easy is it to get onto a truck, age, condition, tooling, and yes, looks count.

If I could get a TOS that size, age and condition over here for $3000, I'd probably be able to double my money or better. Those are nice machines.

gwilson
08-14-2011, 10:50 AM
The Enco lathe is a real cheap lathe. I wouldn't trust the same lathe that old. Probably minimal quality to begin with. Though the lathe looks the same,Enco parts may not quite fit.

justanengineer
08-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Just an observation, but I regularly see Pacemakers, L&Ss, and Monarchs that are mint for $6-8k. Why buy a Chinese machine for that price when the good solid iron is selling for that?

Fireman11
08-14-2011, 11:19 AM
I would think that if you look and are patient, you could get huge lathes for scrap, perhaps less because they are hard to move and not many have space and power for them.

macona
08-14-2011, 02:24 PM
I think my friend who owned the Monarch series 60 we had at tech shop ended up selling it in the $2000 range, and it was about this size. To move it it was about $1000.

hd28vsb
08-14-2011, 02:32 PM
A couple of reasons I am looking at this lathe is
It has a 3 5/16 bore which is a huge convenience many if the older lathes lack a large spindle bore . And also it is located nearby to me.

hardtail
08-14-2011, 10:29 PM
That is a nice size bore.........your current lathe will appeal to the masses so you should do good on it........the lathe you are looking at has less appeal to many, not usually brands that a business would be interested in and too big for homeshop types........I wouldn't go less than 16X60 for another and preferably with a gap bed.......if it checks out ok with reasonable quality, little wear and good care I could go close to his asking prices if it came with some extras.......

The Monarch macona speaks of or that recent sliding bed LeBlond would be nice also but years of use on those..........

Actually I bought my Tos for $2200 way closer to you than it was to me.........

lazlo
08-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine today about it, who had also been at the auction, and we both made the observation that it seems the bigger equipment sells for less than the smaller stuff.

For a lot less. The market for manual lathes are hobbyists and small job shops, so prices peak at ~ 12 - 14" swing, and drop quickly toward scrap price for bigger machines. Big shapers and manual milling machines are often sold at way less than scrap price. MickeyD and I looked at a K&T Rotary at a guy's house in San Antonio -- he told me I could have it if I got it out of his garage. LOL! :)

But for the OP, the value of a used machine tool always boils down to wear on the ways and the condition of the bearings. And considering this wasn't a high-end lathe to begin with...