PDA

View Full Version : Southern Fried Trailer Hitch

Dr Stan
08-13-2011, 10:07 PM
When I built my utility trailer I went way overboard using 2 1/2" sq tubing with 1/4" walls for the tongue and the axle and 2" schedule 80 pipe for the rest of the frame. It was heavy from the beginning and this summer I rehabbed it removing the expanded metal floor replacing it with 3/4" pressure treated plywood and using the salvaged expanded metal for the sides. I also mounted the spare over the tongue to give it some more tongue weight when it is empty.

The spindles are off the front of an early 1970's GMC one ton with disk brakes actuated by a surge brake system. When I first built the trailer variable control electric brakes had not arrived on the market. It has eight bolt wheels and I've had load range E tires mounted on the rims. It's also a tilt bed trailer and I've had in excess of 2 1/2 US tons on it.

Consequently its way too heavy for me to move given the arthritis in my lower back. Since necessity is the mother of invention here's my solution to move it around my yard.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af285/drstan/Southern%20Fried%20Trailer%20Hitch/DSCN0902.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af285/drstan/Southern%20Fried%20Trailer%20Hitch/DSCN0901.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af285/drstan/Southern%20Fried%20Trailer%20Hitch/DSCN0903.jpg

flylo
08-13-2011, 10:17 PM
You need my 6x6 Army truck I'm selling to move that. A match made in heaven.

sasquatch
08-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Not hard to back up with that SHORT tongue???

Your Old Dog
08-13-2011, 11:23 PM

Actually I think it's the relationship of the length of tongue to width of axel that makes it hard to back. The longer the tongue in relationship to the axel the finer the control you have over it.

Dr Stan
08-14-2011, 12:08 AM

Not bad after I got use to it.

Black Forest
08-14-2011, 04:11 AM
A trailer with disk brakes. Now that is cool but you should have chrome rims!

Dawai
08-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Snapper roo? the one I have here, the transmission consists of a flat plate on the crankshaft, a rubber band on the "slider" clutch wheel that rides on it, neutral is a depression in the plate, reverse runs on the other side.. Mostly like a record player running. Faster speeds go further out on the disc.
I replaced the "paper" clutch element with a harley clutch disc I cut down on the lathe.

Point being? is that good enough to pull anything heavy?
Mine here on the hill, if it got "wet" It'd slip.. I live on a ridge a goat could hardly climb tho.

COOL trailer.. I got several truck frames here.. I may rob a couple spindles to build me a real trailer. Never really thought about it before.. A spindle does have a knob on the back where they were turned.. to attach a HW pipe via tig welding.. Is that how you did yours?

Can you take me a picture of the spindle mounting?

FROM ball to trailer wheel center equals wheelbase on truck is about right for a controllable backing trailer, a "lift" gate on the rear of the trailer allows you to actually see it, side markers on the trailer allow you to watch it in the mirror at night. I suck backing a trailer up. I got a gate post right now that needs replacing where I Ka-powed it..

Carld
08-14-2011, 11:32 AM
:eek: I ahhh, well, it sure is built hell for stout for such a short trailer. I tend to do the same thing if I don't get control of myself.

lynnl
08-14-2011, 01:29 PM
I know nothing about the beefyness of Snapper transmissions, but I'd be leary of making a frequent practice of that.

I used my J.D. in a similar manner (with hitch on rear) to park my 17' aluminum fishing boat, just a few times, until I came to the conclusion that it wasn't a good idea. Don't know if that was the cause, but two years ago I had to replace the drive sheave, due to badly worn splines.

platypus2020
08-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Stan,

good stout trailer you got there

jack

PS: How is the Fray rebuild coming??

Dr Stan
08-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone.

The Snapper has the standard "record player" transmission and seems to hold up well. Even if I do over stress the tranny it's easy to get to and repair, but I think the rubber edged wheel will slip before I tear up anything.

As to the Fray, it's about 99% complete and I've taken pics along the way. I actually have it to the point where I'm using it to make some parts for itself. :)

However, since its construction season I've been working on my garage addition and have begun tearing up the old asphalt driveway to replace it with concrete. All this physical work has also paid off in a loss of about 20 lbs. :D

After I removed the spindles from the truck I machined the backs flat and drilled 1/2" locating holes in the center. I used some of the 2 1/2" sq tubing for the axle and simply plugged the end with a piece of steel with a 1/2" hole in the center. When I welded the axle I measured it every which way from Sunday and tacked it then rechecked everything. I used a Miller MIG (I think it was a 230) for all my welding on the original build. This summer I was using my Miller 180

flutedchamber
08-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I think moving that trailer will severely injure your cute little red snapper....:D

Dawai
08-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Transmission slippage.. YES, there is a adjustment for tension between the rubber band and the disc..
I don't have a manual.

I put a hitch on a small lawn tractor with a hydrostat transmission, a Murray.. It didn't work. OF course I mentioned I live on the side of a ridge.. THE ole John Deere M.. (med small) tractor just scares me to death here.. I put a 2x2 socket on the front for a counterweight to stop unexpected wheelies..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8uofEUs5SQ (hitch is the rusty thing on front axle) The cool thing about the 2x2 is I have all these shop tools to drop into it.
Yours could be that cool too, mount all kinda things on that mower.. vises, benders, etc..

Yeah.. you need that JD M.. just bring me that mustang..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPeZ8aIoJ9s Wheelie...

Dr Stan
08-15-2011, 08:57 PM
I put a hitch on a small lawn tractor with a hydrostat transmission, a Murray..

Interesting. My previous rider was a Craftsman (MPD/Murray) which towed it quite well. Of course this was on level ground as it is here and I only use 1/3 to 1/2 throttle in low gear.

Dawai
08-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi Stan..

Yes, the Cub Cadet I had, a guy was using it to move boats on his lot, it'd move a Yacht. This hillside I live on, the ground is uneven in addition to sloped 20 degrees in places. I should've kept it around here. It'd pull a car.

My Honda push-self propelled mower looks like it has been to Afghanistan as a bomb robot.

Hang in there..