PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Can anyone understand what this AgNet weather announcer is saying?

winchman
08-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Once again you guys are my best hope for info. I listen to this weather report on the radio every morning, and I'm totally at a loss on what he's talking about. The broadcast is online here:

http://www.southeastagnet.com/ga-weather.html

Click on the lower left corner of the map to listen to the recording. At about nine seconds in, he says something that sounds like "lower slobidity is 40 percent...". I've had several people, including some farmers, listen to it, but no one can make sense of the word(s) he's saying. Any ideas?

I think it's something about sunshine intensity, but I've Googled every term I can think of with no joy.

I even called AgNet. The lady I spoke with didn't know. She said she'd have the programming director call me, but I haven't heard from him.

Evan
08-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Low soil humidity

winchman
08-14-2011, 04:56 AM
I don't think so. "Low soil humidity thirty-seven percent and eleven hours of sunshine, which is ninety-eight percent of possible sunshine." doesn't make much sense.

aboard_epsilon
08-14-2011, 06:42 AM
He must have been a harness racing commentator before a weather man .

all the best.markj

gwilson
08-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Very peculiar accent!! They must have gotten him cheap!.

PixMan
08-14-2011, 09:59 AM
That was strange indeed. When I travel down south I find myself wanting to finish sentences for some of the people I'm talking to because they're just talking so slow.

Seems to me the guy they got for that forecast reporting has a primary occupation as an auctioneer. ;)

Dawai
08-14-2011, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lktt_DlpsJA
Tis just some Scottish weather..

And I wonder why I have trouble understanding some of our Brit friends.

lynnl
08-14-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't think so. "Low soil humidity thirty-seven percent and eleven hours of sunshine, which is ninety-eight percent of possible sunshine." doesn't make much sense.

I'm thinking Evan is basically right. The announcer isn't saying "low soil humidity", but rather "lower soil humidity." In other words he's referring to the moisture in the lower levels of the soil, rather than right near the surface.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

That's always been an irritation to me, those people used as announcers, who over time become bored with the process and adopt an attitude of "I don't care whether anyone understands me or not."

Evan
08-14-2011, 01:16 PM
He is saying low (or lower) soil humidity. It is a standard item that is reported in farming areas (like here). It starts out high in the morning and drops through the day depending on the amount of sunshine expected. The report helps farmers decide whether to turn on the irrigation pumps.

Farmers pay for power based on maximum demand as well as usage so if they can keep the pumps turned off they can keep the month max demand down. Soil humidity is the most important factor.

The people that need to know what he is saying understand just fine.

Arcane
08-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Soil humidity? I've lived in Saskatchewan for almost 60 years and I have yet to hear any farmer here ever use the term "soil humidity"...and we do have a considerable number of farmers in Saskatchewan. I've also never heard any weather report mention soil humidity even once. No farmer here would ever turn his irrigation pumps on or off without either personally inspecting his fields or having enough experience to judge correctly whether or not the fields would need more water just from his knowledge of the preceding weather of the past few days.

Evan
08-14-2011, 01:51 PM
The Soil humidity forecast is reported twice a day by Environment Canada. It's item 144 of the CMC GRIB1 dataset on the 15 km square high resolution regional grid. The forecast is based on a 3 hour interval.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/grib/High-resolution_GRIB_e.html

They certainly pay attention to it here. We are in a semi arid area and it matters a lot.

In any event, it is what the announcer is saying. I have family in Texas and am no stranger to the southern accent.

Joel
08-14-2011, 06:09 PM
"law sol abidity", which I also interpret as low soil humidity (have never heard the term before either).
I live in Texas and communicate with redneck accents every day - this gentleman's communication problem isn't the accent, his mother should have smacked him with a slow down and enunciate stick.

Black_Moons
08-14-2011, 06:26 PM
"law sol abidity", which I also interpret as low soil humidity (have never heard the term before either).
I live in Texas and communicate with redneck accents every day - this gentleman's communication problem isn't the accent, his mother should have smacked him with a slow down and enunciate stick.

EXACTLY, I once had the most delightful conversation on the phone with an east indian with a HORRABLE accent.. But I could understand every single word the person said because they actualy tryed to say everything at a decent speed and CLEARLY as they could.

Accents are OK, Using them as an excuse for not being understandable is not.

Evan
08-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Accents are OK, Using them as an excuse for not being understandable is not.

I take it that you didn't marry into a bunch of Scots. :D

winchman
08-15-2011, 03:33 AM
One thing that argues in favor of Evan's "low soil humidity" is the 37% figure. In most places, that's probably generous, though.

I was thinking it had something to do with solar intensity, but anything to do with the sun in South Georgia would be right at 100% these days.

winchman
08-15-2011, 04:28 AM
Guess what?? They changed the announcer, but you still can't understand what he's saying. Take a listen:

http://www.southeastagnet.com/ga-weather.html

aboard_epsilon
08-15-2011, 07:32 AM
He he he ...

They all have joineverywordupinasentancetomakeitsoundlikeoneword syndrome.

all the best.markj

winchman
08-15-2011, 09:42 AM
They must have done the broadcast recording over since early this morning, because I can get it now. It's definitely "Lowest relative humidity....."

Now I won't be able to sleep because some poor guy lost his job. :(

Tanto
08-22-2011, 08:25 PM
The announcer is saying "relative humidity", standard in weather reports.

Evan
08-22-2011, 08:47 PM
It's definitely "lowest relative humidity" now but wasn't before. What is going on here is a special voice compression method that is used to shorten the amount of time it takes for the report. It isn't the announcer at all. First all silences of more than a couple of milliseconds are removed by computer. Then the speech is sped up using a computer that compresses time without changing pitch. I have software to do that on my computer.

The trouble with the method is that it can accidentally remove parts of words that are needed for correct pronunciation.

Tanto
08-22-2011, 11:30 PM
It's definitely "lowest relative humidity" now but wasn't before.
The announcer was always saying "relative humidity" it is a standard report, it had nothing to do with soil.

Evan
08-23-2011, 02:27 AM
When this was first posted it wasn't the same announcer and he most certainly didn't say "lowest relative humidity"

added: It is also exceedingly unlikely that the relative humidity would be 40 percent in Georgia this time of year. Soil, yes.

Tanto
08-23-2011, 03:07 AM
When this was first posted it wasn't the same announcer and he most certainly didn't say "lowest relative humidity"

added: It is also exceedingly unlikely that the relative humidity would be 40 percent in Georgia this time of year. Soil, yes.

What??? Why are you arguing about this? It is what the announcer said, that is a fact. I was curious and I thought I'd share it with the members here as it was never really resolved what he said and it was possible some here may be interested to know the outcome.

I know it is a fact because I contacted the organisation who made the broadcast and received a reply today. The question related specifically to that broadcast specifically on that date. This is their response:

Mr. [Tanto],
He is saying "relative humidity" I apologize for it not being announced very
clearly.
Thank you,

Angie Deines
Southeast AgNet/ Citrus Industry Magazine/
Florida Pest Pro Magazine/ Citrus Expo
Office (352) -671-1909
NEW Fax (888) 943-2224

If you want to argue that the announcer actually diverged from the standard broadcast format to start talking about "soil humidity" because he thought it was a fun thing to discuss, then knock yourself out Evan. However that is the official word from the organization involved! End of story.

Evan
08-23-2011, 11:18 AM
The day you see 40 percent relative humidity in Georgia in summer will be the same day it is 200f in the shade. I've lived on the east coast in summer. Further, the values went down as the day progressed.

That wasn't my clue to what he said anyway. He was easy to understand if you know what was being reported. They report soil humidity daily in Georgia. The script in question changes during the day.

Evan
08-23-2011, 11:32 AM
In fact, he is reporting the soil humidity right now. I have downloaded the report.

lynnl
08-23-2011, 12:20 PM
The day you see 40 percent relative humidity in Georgia in summer will be the same day it is 200f in the shade. I've lived on the east coast in summer. Further, the values went down as the day progressed.

Now Evan, you're going a little overboard here. Granted most of the time it feels like the air is almost dripping with moisture here in the south during summer. But it's usually not unabated. We do get frontal systems that pass down thru MS,AL, GA several times, and while the temp drop is not real drastic (e.g. 10-12 F, it can drop the humidity down into that range in mid-afternoon when solar heating is at the max.

I don't recall specifically the situation when this topic was first discussed. But I'm kinda thinking it was just a day or so after we'd had a such a moderation in the heat/humidity up in this neck of the woods.

dockrat
08-23-2011, 01:24 PM
H geeeez guys. Don't start, who cares???

lynnl
08-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Hey, we're having a friendly argument here!

If you don't care, then why respond? :)

Evan
08-23-2011, 03:59 PM
I phoned the program director for the weather report. He told me the announcer was saying "relative humidity" so I asked him to listen to the report. Now he isn't sure and admitted it sure sounds like "soil humidity". He's going to ask the announcer what he really said. We chatted for a while about the fact that they will probably be shutting down because the service is underfunded and most farmers use their I-Pads or Smart Phones to get the weather on line. We also talked about the hurricane. His name IIRC, is Harold. Nice guy.

Now I gotta figure out how to shake this Georgia accent before the wife gets home... I pick it up almost instantly.

lynnl
08-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Now I gotta figure out how to shake this Georgia accent before the wife gets home... I pick it up almost instantly.

See there... It's just a natural way of speaking. :)

I remember reading years ago some researcher's account of societal differences around the world. He made the point that all societies tend to function slower, in virtually every aspect of life, the closer they are to the equator. Speech of course, being one of the more obvious, observeable traits. Not surprisingly he attributed it to temperature.
He made no mention of soil humidity though... :D

That became very obvious when I was stationed on Guam. Every newcomer would always comment on how slow everything happened there. e.g. dealing with the local government for such things as vehicle registration. The Guamanian attitude was "welllll, if we don't get it done today we'll do it tomorrow ...or maybe the day after.."
After a few months you just got used to it and adopted the same frame of mind. :D Was kinda nice actually.

Tanto
08-23-2011, 05:30 PM

At the time this came up I was curious as to what the person was saying as it was difficult to understand. I was so curious in fact I contacted the organization and specifically asked what was the format of their report and specifically what was the announcer saying in this particular report. I received the answer as to what was read in that report and I thought others may be interested if they remembered this thread. The answer was as posted above. If some members have such difficulty in accepting they were mistaken that they want to start arguing about it then I'll leave them to their trivialities as personally I have more important things happening in my life! I do note however that the RH as I type is 27% :rolleyes:

lynnl
08-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I do note however that the RH as I type is 27% :rolleyes:

Hmmm, 27% seems awfully low right now, if we're still talking about south GA.
Or are you meaning where you are Tanto?

Here in N. AL today, it's been relatively dry. Almost totally cloud free, with high temp right at 90 f, but I'd have guessed RH about 60-65%, just based on my comfort.

Earlier today, after reading this thread, I'd checked the Weather Channel, and they don't show any moisture measure (quantative). Was hoping to see either a RH or dew point temp for the HSV local weather. They do show a "feels like" temp, and it was 88 f. Not sure what sort of conversion table they use for the "feels like" equivalents, but again, I'd guess that to imply on the order of 60 - 75% humidity.

Evan
08-23-2011, 07:58 PM
27% RH in Georgia during summer? :rolleyes:

Tanto
08-24-2011, 04:25 AM
27% RH in Georgia during summer? :rolleyes:

Excuse me? Do you think I have nothing better to do in my day than make this stuff up? Why do you feel the need to argue endlessly Evan? Unless you're now going to argue that Atlanta is no longer in Georgia, this is the weather history from yesterday and quite clearly shows the humidity dropping to 28%. Presumably when I looked at it I just happened to catch it at a moment when it was 1% lower or it was from another station. http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?config=&forecast=obarchive&icao=KFTY&day=2&place=atlanta&state=ga&zipcode=30301&country=us&county=13089&zone=GAZ045&icao=KFTY

Now are you done, and can we get back to machining or would you like to try for your third goof in a row?

lynnl
08-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Well, I guess that's probably right. The RH is certainly in line with the dew point temps shown.

As a rule of thumb, every 10 f of dew point depression equates to about 25% lowering of RH, down to about 50%. Below 50% drop the RH by about 1/2 as much, i.e. 12.5%, then 6.25%, etc. for each 10f. ..not exact, but a good approximation.

Other than for public consumption, meteorologists don't usually deal in RH, but rather dew points.

Chris S.
08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
.... When I travel down south I find myself wanting to finish sentences for some of the people I'm talking to because they're just talking so slow.....

If y'all want it sped up a bit then watch an episode or two of "Lizard Lick Towing"! Ronnie and Bobby ain't slow talkers. :D

Chris

Evan
08-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Excuse me? Do you think I have nothing better to do in my day than make this stuff up? Why do you feel the need to argue endlessly Evan? Unless you're now going to argue that Atlanta is no longer in Georgia, this is the weather history from yesterday and quite clearly shows the humidity dropping to 28%.

That is not usual at all for this time of year. Just check the previous days and the historical values for the area.

That isn't particularly relevant anyway to what the announcer may have said. Even the program director admits that it sounds like he said "soil humidity". Phone him and ask.

Now are you done, and can we get back to machining or would you like to try for your third goof in a row?

Nobody is forcing you to post on this thread. You are the one making personal assertions regarding me. I have not done the same.

Tanto
08-24-2011, 06:28 PM

When I pointed out that it was 27% you did a complete backflip and now argue this.

That is not usual at all for this time of year. Just check the previous days and the historical values for the area.

So which one is it Evan? Perhaps you should have checked them yourself before arguing that it wouldn't be below 40%!

That isn't particularly relevant anyway to what the announcer may have said. Even the program director admits that it sounds like he said "soil humidity". Phone him and ask.

I don't care what you or he thinks it sounds like, I already contacted the organization and that is why I came to post on this thread, to pass on to others here what was actually said. If you can't accept the fact that you were wrong and are simply trolling for an argument then that's your problem.

lynnl
08-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Looks like someone's trolling for an argument alright.
But I don't think it's Evan.

Tanto
08-24-2011, 08:39 PM
What? I emailed the organization and posted a copy of what they said. I thought that would be it. I had the answer and as a courtesy to other members passed it on as I thought those involved in the original discussion may still be interested. Instead I have a "know-it-all" member state that the person didn't say that, despite the organization saying in writing that's their report and that's what was said. Then I get told that the RH wouldn't be 40% despite the fact that it was 27% at the time, then there's a complete backflip that would make an Olympic diver gold medalist proud and I get told that it's not unusual to be that low at this time of the year. WTF?

There is no argument. There is no discusion. It's nothing to do with machining. It's not even anything important. It may have just been of interest to some. End of story. Once again. :mad:

dp
08-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Tanto - it is just a weather report. Who cares?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mkushin/2326672905/