PDA

View Full Version : USPS Tracking

wbleeker
08-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Has anyone noticed that USPS have gotten pretty slow and their tracking is now almost non existent?
I have been buying stuff in the US for several years now, usually in the 20lb boxes, I am located in Australia, usually I can follow the tracking info and see when the box was received, left the US, arrived in Hawaii, left Hawaii, arrived in Sydney and then in and out of customs,then onto Australia Post for delivery.
This all usually takes up to a maximum of two weeks, sometimes less than one week.
Except for the last two shipments, the only information is that the item is on it's way to the destination? The last box took 3 and a half weeks, and I am waiting on a power drawbar for my Tormach now that was posted on the 23rd of July, maybe it's having a holiday in Hawaii!
Will

mike4
08-15-2011, 05:27 AM
Has anyone noticed that USPS have gotten pretty slow and their tracking is now almost non existent?
I have been buying stuff in the US for several years now, usually in the 20lb boxes, I am located in Australia, usually I can follow the tracking info and see when the box was received, left the US, arrived in Hawaii, left Hawaii, arrived in Sydney and then in and out of customs,then onto Australia Post for delivery.
This all usually takes up to a maximum of two weeks, sometimes less than one week.
Except for the last two shipments, the only information is that the item is on it's way to the destination? The last box took 3 and a half weeks, and I am waiting on a power drawbar for my Tormach now that was posted on the 23rd of July, maybe it's having a holiday in Hawaii!
Will

That seems to be the norm now , I have given up trying to get some sort of timeframe for items to arrive ,I just order /pay and then wait.
Australia Post dont help with their slack attitude either.

I have lost a couple of customers over whats presently happening , I used to be able to order tools or materials and get them in the shop within a certain timeframe .

Only have been able to roughly track the large items or combined items , the little costly ones you just hope get to you.

There seems to be some holdup leaving the US , something to do with the heighted paranoia in some areas.

Not doing business any good. But it keeps the otherwise unemployable busy pretending to be saving the world from terrorists.

Michael:

mad:

.RC.
08-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Have some items coming from the US myself... Nearly 3 weeks and no show...

Getting expensive as well.... $60 for 10kg....

Just got 20kg posted from China for $75.

Your Old Dog
08-15-2011, 08:03 AM
There was a time not long ago when my only criticism of the US Postal service was that it was too efficient. I didn't like paying extra just to get junk mail nearly overnight. But you guys are right, all that seems to have changed. Makes me wonder if it's not a ploy to get us to use "overnight" service?

PixMan
08-15-2011, 08:14 AM
I'm only using it for domestic service here, but get mixed results. I ship out a fair number of packages using our "Priority Mail" service. Sometimes it shows the package being accepted, then I get an update showing it was delivered 3 days ago.

Other times I can see it moving right along, and the tracking works as it should. One thing I will say is that despite that inconsistency, the bottom line is that the packages are getting where they're supposed to go in a reasonable time for a reasonable fee (as compared to UPS or FedEx.)

Carld
08-15-2011, 09:46 AM
They have no tracking system. The workers at my Post Office told me they can tell me when I mailed it and when the postal worker picked it up to deliver it. They can't tell when he delivered it or where it is from the time I mailed it to when the mailman picked it up to deliver it to the recipient.

They don't track like Fed-Ex or UPS.

Having said all that I prefer USPS over UPS or Fed-Ex. I live out in the Boonies and the Post office is close, the others aren't.

lazlo
08-15-2011, 10:26 AM
I ship out a fair number of packages using our "Priority Mail" service. Sometimes it shows the package being accepted, then I get an update showing it was delivered 3 days ago.

The weak point in the USPS system is the postman. :(
As we've discussed here and on PM, the postmen are lazy, and will log a "Signature Required" package into the system as "Delivered" without ever having a signature on the brown slip.

I've had packages that hadn't been delivered yet show up in the "tracking" system as "delivered, signed by recipient." I've also had packages left on my neighbor's doorstep logged the same way.

If you call the central tracking system to complain, they respond like it happens all the time. But they won't admit that anything has gone wrong with the signature authorization, or that their system doesn't really work. :rolleyes:

PixMan
08-15-2011, 10:48 AM
The weak point in the USPS system is the postman. :(
As we've discussed here and on PM, the postmen are lazy, and will log a "Signature Required" package into the system as "Delivered" without ever having a signature on the brown slip.

I've had packages that hadn't been delivered yet show up in the "tracking" system as "delivered, signed by recipient." I've also had packages left on my neighbor's doorstep logged the same way.

If you call the central packing system to complain, they respond like it happens all the time. But they won't admit that anything has gone wrong with the signature authorization, or that their system doesn't really work. :rolleyes:

Not in my neighborhood. My guy is excellent, and anything but lazy! I know him personally now, because he's been delivering here for 20+ years and that familiarity has not bred contempt for the system. He follows the rules, period. If you're getting different, you need to document the infractions and contact your local Postmaster to report the problem.

lazlo
08-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Not in my neighborhood. My guy is excellent, and anything but lazy! I know him personally now, because he's been delivering here for 20+ years

That's great -- keep him! :)

But to point out the obvious, that won't help if you're the sender ;)

The other irritating, lazy postman habit that a lot of folks have mentioned: heavy flat-rate boxes often mysteriously get marked for signature pickup at the post office. In other words, I bought a flat-rate box full of cut-offs, and the postman didn't want to lug it. So it suddenly got entered into the tracking system :(

projectnut
08-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Up until the last few weeks I've had some pretty good experiences with USPS. However the last thing I ordered was an axle for a garden tractor. It was comming from Michigan to Wisconsin with an estimated arrival date of 3 days after placement of the order.

When the seller delivered the pkg to the Post Office it was registered as "accepted". It took another 10 days to get the package to my door, and there was no further tracking information. Even after it arrived there was no tracking update.

Highpower
08-15-2011, 01:15 PM
For the last 5 years (at least) whenever (if) I get a "delivered" notice from the USPS tracking system, it is always 3 - 7 days after the package has been delivered. No info ever between "picked up" and "delivered."

Re: my local postal carrier....

I receive other people's mail multiple times a week. There have been several instances (that I KNOW about) when I did not get my mail. (Late fee's on utilities etc., because I never received the bill.)
Sometimes he returns an hour later with the rest of my mail he missed the first time around. He's a nice enough guy, but......

This is my own fault of course, because the LAST carrier I had - dropped off my mail one day, then made a bee-line to his truck and drove off. I was inside the house and heard him drop the mail through the slot. Inside the stack of mail was a notice that I had to sign for a package and to go to the post office to pick it up. Hand written on the notice was that there was "no one present at the time to sign" for it. He never knocked on the door or rang the bell. :mad:

I took the notice straight to the postmaster and pitched a fit since I had been expecting the package and stayed at home to get it! So now I had to wait until the next day to go back and get it. I caught the carrier the next day on his rounds and he proceeded to tell me about the rump chewing he got from the boss. (Boo-hoo...)

A week later they changed the carrier on my route to the guy I have now. Sigh....

Ironheart
08-15-2011, 01:40 PM
USPS has gone to hell just like most everything else in the US.
I stopped using USPS due to the problems others have already outlined.

UPS is getting as bad as USPS. About 1 in 10 packages are delivered
to the wrong address while their tracking systems advises my package
is on my front porch. (Same driver sense 2004)

How many times have you paid $10.00 S&H for a $9.00 part.
The statement "The price of doing business" no longer has any
meaning what so ever!

Sorry for the rant!

Ironheart...

Carld
08-15-2011, 02:36 PM
USPS has not gone to hell, they NEVER HAD A REAL TRACKING SYSTEM. When you give something to the post office and want it tracked all they do is log when it was received and when the postman/woman picked it up to deliver to you.

They DO NOT TRACK ANY THING IN BETWEEN so live with it. If you want to look online each hour, day and week while your package is being delivered then use UPS or Fed-Ex, don't use the USPS.

Quit ignoring the truth.

Ironheart
08-15-2011, 02:48 PM
USPS has not gone to hell, they NEVER HAD A REAL TRACKING SYSTEM. When you give something to the post office and want it tracked all they do is log when it was received and when the postman/woman picked it up to deliver to you. <<SNIP>>

It did not use the words tracking and USPS together. If you had fully read my
post you would see I was talking about having to track UPS.

Open mouth, insert FOOT!

Ironheart...

macona
08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
I think this relates:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/delivery_notification.png

Carld
08-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Update. I just talked to my postman that delivered a package that has tracking. He said that if the package is Express or Registered it has tracking at each point of transfer. That's not what the person at the Post office told me. He scanned it with a device similar to what UPS uses.

Well excuse me mr Ironheart but as I read it you were putting USPS and UPS in the same hand basket. I went back and read it a few more times and I stand on what I said. HOWEVER, I was wrong in stating that USPS does not have a real tracking system, they do. My office workers mislead me with incorrect info but my mailman straightened that out.

Highpower
08-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah, gotta love it...

UPS package arrives at the main sorting hub in town at 4:00am.
Package departs at 7:45am in route to the other UPS building downtown.
Package arrives downtown at 8:15am.
Package on truck for delivery at 8:35am.
Package delivered to me at 7:15pm.

The thing that kills me is the truck that runs from the sorting hub to downtown drives right past my house at 8:00am.

This is how it happens with every single package I get through UPS. "Gee.... we better up the fuel surcharge again Fred!" :rolleyes:

Highpower
08-15-2011, 05:15 PM
When you give something to the post office and want delivery confirmation all they do is log when it was received and when the postman/woman picked it up to deliver to you.

Fixed that for you. ;)
Not the same thing as "tracking".

Black_Moons
08-15-2011, 06:07 PM
For the last 5 years (at least) whenever (if) I get a "delivered" notice from the USPS tracking system, it is always 3 - 7 days after the package has been delivered. No info ever between "picked up" and "delivered."

Re: my local postal carrier....

I receive other people's mail multiple times a week. There have been several instances (that I KNOW about) when I did not get my mail. (Late fee's on utilities etc., because I never received the bill.)
Sometimes he returns an hour later with the rest of my mail he missed the first time around. He's a nice enough guy, but......

This is my own fault of course, because the LAST carrier I had - dropped off my mail one day, then made a bee-line to his truck and drove off. I was inside the house and heard him drop the mail through the slot. Inside the stack of mail was a notice that I had to sign for a package and to go to the post office to pick it up. Hand written on the notice was that there was "no one present at the time to sign" for it. He never knocked on the door or rang the bell. :mad:

I took the notice straight to the postmaster and pitched a fit since I had been expecting the package and stayed at home to get it! So now I had to wait until the next day to go back and get it. I caught the carrier the next day on his rounds and he proceeded to tell me about the rump chewing he got from the boss. (Boo-hoo...)

A week later they changed the carrier on my route to the guy I have now. Sigh....

Yea, last place I lived at, I CAUGHT them running away (heard the TRUCK idling in my driveway) and asked why the #$%@ did'nt they knock, they said they knocked on my SCREEN DOOR... lightly, as to not break the glass.
I said, why the hell would you do that, open the goddamn screen door and knock on the REAL door, $#%@er said that 'some people get mad at us for doing that" "Yea well, Im getting mad at you for NOT doing that!"

Where I moved to, all my mail comes with little 2's and 3's writen on it, I assume thats how many times hes not bothered to actualy DELIVER it. Allready was late on a CC payment because they delivered the bill AFTER the due date, god damn @!@#ers.

As for 'package waiting' notices? Hah, I don't even GET those, I get 'FINAL NOTICE' notes that say its been waiting for a freaken week in the post office

I asked the post office whats up with that and was told with a straight face "Yea, We get lots of those in here where people don't get thier first notice, thats why we send the final notices" ... ".... Doesnt that seem... WRONG to you??" ".. Nope?"

SERIOUS RAGE.

Is doing your god damn job so freaken hard nowdays? Can't they FIRE these god damn people if they are getting complaints about not doing thier job??

Oh, and to top it off, At my last place, USPS/UPS/canada post outright stoped delivering packages and insted just delivered 'Pick it up tomarrow' notices with no reason why.

I go and ask whats up with that.. they tell me its because 'Nobody is ever home when we go to deliver packages'.... I live and work at home, and only go out for minutes at a time. God damn delivery ninjas, the only time I ever have caught them is when I hear there freaken truck pull into the driveway, yes thats right, the truck engine makes more goddamn noise then the jerkoff knocking.

Best idea yet: Go around, and chop the goddamn mufflers off all the delivery trucks, THEN MAYBE I'LL HEAR THEM!!!!

H380
08-15-2011, 06:16 PM
In 2010, Postal Service Suffered $8.5B Net Loss

USPS Asks For 120K Layoffs, Benefits Overhaul

http://www.wgal.com/money/28841838/detail.html

lazlo
08-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Update. I just talked to my postman that delivered a package that has tracking. He said that if the package is Express or Registered it has tracking at each point of transfer.

My experience with registered mail, and the regional postmaster general:

I was moving up to Orgeon in 1996, and I had to ship 3 DirecTV receivers, along with the P2 cards -- the smart cards that contain your subscriber ID. At the time, these cards were sold for a ton of money on the black market, so everyone was being instructed to ship the cards separately from the DirecTV receivers.

So I put the P2 cards in a registered letter that I sent to myself in Oregon. The package never got there. I ask the post office: how is it possible to lose registered mail??! The answer: registered mail simply means that the package is manually signed-in to each post office along the way. The post office customer service employee expected me to walk away at this point :mad:

So I ask: what am I supposed to do now, with a lost registered letter? After a long, loud conversation, the postal employee eventually told me there's a Federal tracking form you can file, to audit the signature trail. They were very reluctant to provide me with the form.

From Mississippi, my registered letter went to Atlanta, and then disappeared.

So I call the Atlanta post office, and they confirm that the package was signed-in. Where was it? "Sorry, don't know."

I filed an official complaint with the Southeast regional postmaster general, and got a nice form letter thanking me for letting them know about the problem. :eek:

Greg Q
08-15-2011, 07:42 PM
With the USPS making huge losses on mail operations (see below...its all contrived!)) I expect that parcel prices will have to go up by quite a bit. International parcels have increased by at least 15% in the last three years.

Perhaps USPS will stop supplying free boxes? That has to be a huge potential revenue stream at a buck or two each.

I too have seen a doubling or tripling of transit time for packages from the US. I am guessing higher security coupled with the huge migration of Australian shoppers to U.S. online stores where prices are half (with shipping) of local retail.

WRT to tracking...Intl USPS used log every waypoint, but my last two weren't even logged into the system when they were mailed. One package that was logged showed it sitting in LAX for seven days, presumably waiting for its turn to get lifted out on one of the overburdened mail freighters.

Greg Q
08-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Intrigues by the history of USPS profit/losses I did a bit of looking. It turns out that the problems at USPS are the doing of Congress which passed a law in 2006 which requires double pension provisions despite their pension obligations being fully funded.

The article that I read cynically concluded that the Democrats like it because additional revenue is added to the treasury, and the GOP likes it because it creates one more example of a loss-making government service. What a heartbreaking situation.

lazlo
08-15-2011, 08:14 PM
It turns out that the problems at USPS are the doing of Congress which passed a law in 2006 which requires double pension provisions despite their pension obligations being fully funded.

I read about that debacle back in March/April, and to be honest, it gives me a headache. The Post Office claims it's been forced to overpay it's pension fund for the last 40 years...

http://blogs.federaltimes.com/federal-times-blog/2011/03/18/usps-pension-puzzle-revisited/

Boostinjdm
08-15-2011, 08:27 PM
I prefer UPS. I can track it and the driver knows me well enough to leave my packages where I can find them if I'm not around. The USPS just pisses me off. I live in a town of less than 200 people. I don't even live a full block away and they can't deliver my mail. I have to go get it. If you live outside of town then they will deliver it no problem. I say if they want to save money, make the rural people come get the mail and deliver it to those in town. Now they are talking about shutting down our tiny little post office. Then what do we do?

Black_Moons
08-15-2011, 08:38 PM
I read about that debacle back in March/April, and to be honest, it gives me a headache. The Post Office claims it's been forced to overpay it's pension fund for the last 40 years...

http://blogs.federaltimes.com/federal-times-blog/2011/03/18/usps-pension-puzzle-revisited/

Then isent it about time they start getting massive refunds as the pensioners die of old age without spending it all?

PixMan
08-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Strange, but I mailed out a couple of parting blade holder blocks that I sold last week. I sent them out from 01562 on August 11th, they were delivered to the PO Box in 59204 today, probably 1800 miles away. I got confirmation email that the package was accepted on 8/11, and then today (30 minutes ago) that the Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box was delivered at 9:48AM today, some 9 hours and 10 minutes before the delivery e-mail was sent.

That's about as good as I can expect for a 7 pound box going that far, that quick for that price. If I had clicked on some other option, I could have gotten the updates as it went along.

Works for me.

Ironheart
08-15-2011, 10:23 PM
After giving a great deal of thought to this topic, my original statement was out of line. I'm over 50 and can only remember loosing mail twice. The first time, a new postman put my pay check in the wrong box. It was one of those multi-boxed apartment boxes. The second time all of my mail including my tax return was delivered to the wrong house.

Fast forward 30 years. I now live out in the country. My local post office serves 600 or less people. You would think there would be no delivery issues.
Here's where my mind set of USPS has gone to hell came from.

My postal carrier would not deliver a package larger than my mail box.
I would check my mail and find one of the 'Sorry we missed you forms'.
Funny thing, on one occasion the postal carrier waved as she went by.

Because I live in the 'boonies' I thought maybe the carriers were exempt from delivering packages to the door. I talked with the Post Master and was advised 'They always deliver packages to the door'. To date I have never received a package from USPS delivered to my door.

For the first two or three years I lived here it would be a crap shoot as to who's mail I would receive. Hell sometimes it was even mine.

After a postal investigation mail started being delivered to the correct address. Still its a safe bet I will never receive a package delivered to
my door.

With the greatest respect to all of the hardworking postal carriers,

Ironheart...

Black_Moons
08-15-2011, 10:30 PM
My dad lost a book once. Good news: they found the torn wraping of the package and returned it to him (the sender)

... They did not however return the cost of postage, Or the declared cost of the book.

Another time I recall sending something 2 weeks before xmas, paying insane amount (more then the gift was worth) to send something 3 day.. I forget via who.

It arrived 3... Months later. No refund of postage was made there either.

Carld
08-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Ironheart, you have my sympathy about your post office workers. I too live in a rural county but my post office workers are real good and helpful. In fact, today my post man drove down my drive, honked his horn and delivered a large box with two 16" used wheels for my Jeep that would not fit in my extra large size mailbox. That's when I quizzed him on the mail procedures.

Saturday he stuffed a priority box that just did fit in my mail box along with the other mail.

He drives a right hand drive jeep and I drive a 1951 CJ3A Jeep so we have something in common. When I drive the county roads in my Jeep I wave to everyone and especially the mail carriers. I sometimes stop them and ask about a road I am looking for and they usually know where it is.

.RC.
08-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Once China gets their act together buying things from the US will not be necessary anyway....

A lot of the stuff I get from the US originates from China in the first place....

lazlo
08-16-2011, 01:01 AM
A lot of the stuff I get from the US originates from China in the first place....

I always found it ironic that Old Tiffie was buying Chinese tools from LittleMachineShop in the US. The raw materials are mined from Australia, manufactured in China, sails past Australia to the US, and back on a boat to Australia, and it's apparently still cheaper than Hare & Forbes sells the same Chinese tools. :p

.RC.
08-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Costs of running a business in Au are much higher then in the US..

Combine that with little competition means prices are higher here..

Hare and Forbes items are usually not too bad a quality compared to some of the stuff I have had sent from the US..

I think Hare and Forbes is about on a par with CTC tools... I have been fairly happy with the goods CTC sells.. And they can get stuff not on their website (just bought a 6X12 fine pole mag chuck from them)

In saying all that though I do like getting cheap second hand top quality goods from US ebay...

Greg Q
08-16-2011, 02:55 AM
I always found it ironic that Old Tiffie was buying Chinese tools from LittleMachineShop in the US. The raw materials are mined from Australia, manufactured in China, sails past Australia to the US, and back on a boat to Australia, and it's apparently still cheaper than Hare & Forbes sells the same Chinese tools. :p

Speaking of the devil, I was wondering the other day whatever happened to Tiffie?

...And I am about t do the same thing with surface plates. Even with a double Pacific voyage they are half price or less. Beat that with a stick.

.RC.
08-16-2011, 03:05 AM
Yea but Greg the ones you are getting won't come with an as genuine copied measurement certificate like mine came with :D

Greg Q
08-16-2011, 03:35 AM
A couple of thoughts on that RC...

I saw a packet of those certificates at Hare & Forbes on my first and last visit there a couple of years ago. Identical, because I was rude enough to compare them.

I will no doubt get a NIST* traceable cert with the plates...Since I'm getting four I'll be able to post on that score once and for all;)

*Let's see, what can I make from that? Naive Insistence on Sino Technology?

mike4
08-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Speaking of the devil, I was wondering the other day whatever happened to Tiffie?

...And I am about t do the same thing with surface plates. Even with a double Pacific voyage they are half price or less. Beat that with a stick.
Most of what I buy is American made , it seems that due to the present downturn in manufacturing ,plant closures , a lot of good equipment can be purchased for quite a bit less that new price , Havent had any problems yet except the time from posting to delivery is forever increasing .
Now I just search for equipment and am currently replacing some of my cheaper tools with better quality when they are listed.

As for Hare & Forbes I bought my Mill from them and proceeded to equip it via Ebay as the prices including freight were way below local suppliers.

Michael

lazlo
08-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Even with a double Pacific voyage they are half price or less. Beat that with a stick.

I was being facetious -- it's a bargain because the US dollar has been so heavily devalued in the last 10 years.

http://voluntarysociety.org/conditioning/federalreserve/images/20080107_us_dollar_value.png

Black_Moons
08-16-2011, 05:30 PM
I was being facetious -- it's a bargain because the US dollar has been so heavily devalued in the last 10 years.

Yep, Now us canadians get to make jokes about the worthless USD because its 2 cents lower then the CND. (After all, If americans where making such jokes about the canadian dollar being worthless when USD was only a few cents higher, Now that its lower, the USD must be REALLY worthless. :rolleyes:

Even though *censored at request of moderator* still charges canadians 30% more for every single item in the catalog.
And paypal, last I checked, has 1usd = 0.98cnd exchange rate, the inverse of what it actualy is.