PDA

View Full Version : I Never Thought I'd See It - Metric Adjustable Wrenches

CCWKen
08-15-2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA02V02P6466&nm_mc=EMC-GD081111&cm_mmc=EMC-GD081111-_-index-_-Item-_-9SIA02V02P6466

Just got a sale email from Newegg featuring a set of SAE/Metric adjustable wrenches. Ya mean they made a whole new set just to put a different scale on it? What kind of engineers are we hiring now? :rolleyes:

Carld
08-15-2011, 03:25 PM
:D I used to call them adjustable sixteenths wrenches but now I guess I will have to say adjustable mm for the metric ones.:rolleyes:

Arcane
08-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Good gawd! Apparently my collection of left hand and right hand crescent wrenches is incomplete! I'll have to get right on correcting that oversight...before it's "too late"!

macona
08-15-2011, 03:49 PM
I hear when Australia went hard metric they required everyone to buy new tools which the government paid for. Lots of metric crescent wrenches were ordered!

H380
08-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Do not forget Pipe Wrenches!!!:D

philbur
08-15-2011, 04:01 PM
At 35 bucks for 7 wrenches I doubt they are being sold for professional engineer use.:p

Why didn't they put millimeters on one side and inches on the other side, then you would only need 4 wrenches.:rolleyes:

Why are there four "inch" wrenches and only three "metric" wrenches.:D

What's a 6-inch Metric Quick-Adjusting Wrench. Surely it's a 15 cm metric Quick-Adjusting Wrench.:confused:

Phil

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA02V02P6466&nm_mc=EMC-GD081111&cm_mmc=EMC-GD081111-_-index-_-Item-_-9SIA02V02P6466

What kind of engineers are we hiring now?

lazlo
08-15-2011, 04:03 PM
What kind of engineers are we hiring now? :rolleyes:

Chinese engineers.

Actually, if you look at Irwin's web page, they're referring to the fact that there's inch graduations on one side, and metric on the other:

"English and metric scales"

http://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-adjustable-wrenches/adjustable-wrenches

SGW
08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
They're for removing the prop wash filler plugs on metric aircraft engines.

philbur
08-15-2011, 04:13 PM
ONCE, if you are lucky.:eek:

Phil:)

They're for removing the prop wash filler plugs on metric aircraft engines.

Robin R
08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
This seems rather abrupt, what about going to a transitional set, that open in metric sizes but have inch handles.

John Stevenson
08-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Picked these up last time I was in China.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/stilsons.jpg

Really useful and very accurate.
You can swap between imperial and metric at the touch of a button.

Black_Moons
08-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Thats horrable. Everyone knows your not supposed to use your caliper as a pipe wrench!

CCWKen
08-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Chinese engineers.

Actually, if you look at Irwin's web page, they're referring to the fact that there's inch graduations on one side, and metric on the other:

"English and metric scales"

http://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-adjustable-wrenches/adjustable-wrenches

That's not what the Newegg offer says. It says seven wrenches:

The Irwin 573730 7-Piece SAE/Metric Quick-Adjusting Wrench Tray Set is a great set of wrenches to have on hand that will cover a variety of sizes whether standard or metric.

What's In The Box:
6-inch SAE Quick-Adjusting Wrench
8-inch SAE Quick-Adjusting Wrench
10-inch SAE Quick-Adjusting Wrench
12-inch SAE Quick-Adjusting Wrench
6-inch Metric Quick-Adjusting Wrench
10-inch Metric Quick-Adjusting Wrench
12-inch Metric Quick-Adjusting Wrench

lazlo
08-15-2011, 05:20 PM
This seems rather abrupt, what about going to a transitional set, that open in metric sizes but have inch handles.

...and you could have a set that turns counter-clockwise, for the folks south of the equator :)

saltmine
08-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Metric adjustable wrenches? Nothing new. I've owned several for many years. Some brands of adjustable wrenches are embossed on one side with the words"METRIC 0-200mm" While the other side of the wrench says"SAE 0-4". I used to use one to mess with my helpers that weren't paying attention. I'd tell one to go get me an American adjustable wrench. And when he brought it, I'd turn it over in my hand, and say,"Wait a minute, I told you I wanted an American wrench." Calmly showing him the Metric side of it. Most of the time, the guy would scamper back to my toolbox and search for ten minutes looking for "An American adjustable wrench"...Then I'd walk over and ask him what's the trouble, and casually flip the adjustable wrench over. "It's right here."

Alistair Hosie
08-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Last christmas I got two black and decker battery operated wrenches these things are great.Have any of you guys used then simple switch and the close up.Alistair

rohart
08-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Sometimes when I'm somewhere difficult of access I take the calipers to measure the nut first. Then I go get the right wrench.

Now I see I can take an adjustable with a scale instead, so if the fancy takes me I can have a go at rounding off the nut before I go and fetch the right spanner.

This sounds like progress.

Scottike
08-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Looks like just what I need to work on those bastardized cars that are 1/2 metric and 1/2 SAE. Now I just need to find a metric hammer for those chinese nails that always seem to bend when I hit them with my american hammer(er).

bruto
08-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Looks like just what I need to work on those bastardized cars that are 1/2 metric and 1/2 SAE. Now I just need to find a metric hammer for those chinese nails that always seem to bend when I hit them with my american hammer(er). That's easy to solve. Get a Chinese hammer, and you won't bend nails because the hammer will bend first.

JoeLee
08-15-2011, 09:48 PM
It seems that there has been some misinterpretation of the the wording of the ad. I believe what is supposed to be implied is that the set can be used for SAE and metric sizes as well.
The way I see it is some idiot do it your selfer may not know that unless it hits him in the face. But they forgot one thing............ all the warnings, like how you can be killed if this wrench comes in contact with high voltage, or don't stand on youo roof waving this wrench around during an electrical storm.

JL....................

J Tiers
08-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Metric adjustable wrenches? Nothing new. I've owned several for many years. Some brands of adjustable wrenches are embossed on one side with the words"METRIC 0-200mm" While the other side of the wrench says"SAE 0-4".

I sure hope that is either 0 - 100 mm, or 0-8", whichever...... or else they are stretchy as well as dual scale

winchman
08-16-2011, 02:04 AM
It's about time!! I've been using my calipers as wrenchs for years. Now I can use my wrenches as calipers. :)

Allan Waterfall
08-16-2011, 02:54 AM

Do they auto adjust to allow for the usual crap in the teeth ?:D

Allan

doctor demo
08-16-2011, 03:28 AM

You have been spending way too much time at the pub, ya clumsy bastich:D

Steve:)

Richard Wilson
08-16-2011, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=John Stevenson][I]

You are winding us up aren't you? Its just a digital scale placed on the Stillson for the photograph. Anyway, if I'm wrong and its for real, does it still work with the usual 3' length of scaffold tube on the handle?

Richard

hsm'er
08-16-2011, 12:52 PM
These wrenches really are metric and SAE.

They're not like the old "Crescent" wrenches where you turn the thumb wheel and the jaw moves. On these you push the "button" that's in place of the thumb wheel, and the jaw can move to the next "index", which will be the next metric or SAE standard fastener head size.

So yes, you really need to use the metric one on metric fasteners and the SAE one on SAE fasteners.

jugs
08-16-2011, 03:53 PM
[quote=John Stevenson][i]

You are winding us up aren't you? Its just a digital scale placed on the Stillson for the photograph. Anyway, if I'm wrong and its for real, does it still work with the usual 3' length of scaffold tube on the handle?

Richard

Any tube extension has to have an internal stop (a through bolt or pin would do) 12" from end to prevent the tube sliding down the handle & damaging the scale. The big LCD makes it easy to see with old eyes & it autos off after 5mins to save battery but retains memory, (more than can be said for me :( ).

john
:)

Willy
08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Seems like $100 USD is an awful lot of money to spend on a set of wrenches that don't fit into most tight spaces.
Best of all, they are guaranteed to leave one with not only rounded off nut and bolt heads, but bleeding knuckles as well.

But then I suppose there is a market for these types of gimmick tools, just look at what the hucksters are constantly peddling on TV.:rolleyes:

Black_Moons
08-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Seems like $100 USD is an awful lot of money to spend on a set of wrenches that don't fit into most tight spaces.
Best of all, they are guaranteed to leave one with not only rounded off nut and bolt heads, but bleeding knuckles as well.

But then I suppose there is a market for these types of gimmick tools, just look at what the hucksters are constantly peddling on TV.:rolleyes:

I stoped using crecent wrenchs on nuts as soon as I bought real wrenchs.. Now I only use them for... Bolts over 1" in size (No proper wrenchs for those.. YET), but those are usally skinny fine threaded bolts that only have like 2 threads engagement if that, and hence require like no torque, just a really big wrench...
And uhh.. Bending steel, they are great for holding onto steel and sheet metal to bend it, either cold or hot.

Once tryed to use one as a JT33 chuck remover since the jaws where wedge shaped... Did'nt work at all, Did manage to strip off abunch of the chrome on the jaw however. (Using tools for the wrong job is usally how they are broken/damaged..)

Oh, I also keep 2 tiny ones in my 'emergency' backpack pocket for my motorbicycle. Because im too cheap to buy a set of wrenchs and don't wanna lug a full set around (Really now that my rear wheel is also quick release, im not sure what id use em for anymore...)

ckalley
08-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Those will go right along with my Metric hammer! Found it laying on the side of the road one mroning on the way to work. All it needed was a new handle....
I knew I really had something special!

Craig

Black_Moons
08-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Those will go right along with my Metric hammer! Found it laying on the side of the road one mroning on the way to work. All it needed was a new handle....
I knew I really had something special!

Craig

I love road tools. Found some slightly rusted vise grips, I think 3 good looking screwdrivers by now.. Can't recall any hammers.
Couple sockets...

Paul Alciatore
08-16-2011, 05:43 PM
At 35 bucks for 7 wrenches I doubt they are being sold for professional engineer use.:p

Why didn't they put millimeters on one side and inches on the other side, then you would only need 4 wrenches.:rolleyes:

Why are there four "inch" wrenches and only three "metric" wrenches.:D

What's a 6-inch Metric Quick-Adjusting Wrench. Surely it's a 15 cm metric Quick-Adjusting Wrench.:confused:

Phil

If it is a 6 inch then it is 15.24cm. Hummm, English still wins out for the handle. If they wanted true metric it would be a real 15cm and only a 5.9 inch.

Truth, TRUTH, I demand truth in advertising!

mike os
08-16-2011, 05:52 PM
and is it left or right handed:D

noah katz
08-16-2011, 06:35 PM
That gives me an idea - replace the thumbwheel with a hex nut, so you can wrench on it until the part is exactly the right size.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/stilsons.jpg

jugs
08-16-2011, 06:55 PM
That gives me an idea - replace the thumbwheel with a hex nut, so you can wrench on it until the part is exactly the right size.

Thats daft, if you use an SAE nut it wont fit metric :rolleyes:

To make it universal you'll need 3 nuts (SAE-Whit-Metric), RH for tightening + 3 LH for loosening :D

john
:)

1-800miner
08-16-2011, 07:09 PM
There really are left handed adjustable wrenches out there.
Hold the wrench in your right hand with the fixed jaw to the right.
With a normal wrench you push up with your thumb to tighten.
On a lefty you pull down.
Most backward tool I ever used,gave them all away.

Willy
08-17-2011, 03:57 AM
I stoped using crecent wrenchs on nuts as soon as I bought real wrenchs.. Now I only use them for... Bolts over 1" in size (No proper wrenchs for those.. YET), but those are usally skinny fine threaded bolts that only have like 2 threads engagement if that, and hence require like no torque, just a really big wrench...
And uhh.. Bending steel, they are great for holding onto steel and sheet metal to bend it, either cold or hot.

Once tryed to use one as a JT33 chuck remover since the jaws where wedge shaped... Did'nt work at all, Did manage to strip off abunch of the chrome on the jaw however. (Using tools for the wrong job is usally how they are broken/damaged..)

Oh, I also keep 2 tiny ones in my 'emergency' backpack pocket for my motorbicycle. Because im too cheap to buy a set of wrenchs and don't wanna lug a full set around (Really now that my rear wheel is also quick release, im not sure what id use em for anymore...)

Agreed BM, crescent wrenches do have their place.
Hey I keep one or two around as well in an emergency tool kit for the car, truck, etc., or for bending hot plate and flat bar.

But the gimmicky tool kit referred to in the OP's post are $100 USD!
You and I both know we wouldn't spend that kind of money for that type of requirement.

Alistair Hosie
08-17-2011, 09:11 AM
A bent hammer would be handy for doing round corners surely. Alistair

Andrew_D
08-17-2011, 03:05 PM
It seems that there has been some misinterpretation of the the wording of the ad. I believe what is supposed to be implied is that the set can be used for SAE and metric sizes as well.

Plus when someone types "SAE wrench" or "metric wrench" into the search engine, these are found on both searches...

Andrew

Black_Moons
08-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Im gonna assume that these must be as one person mentioned, 'quick adjusting' to the next standard nut size and lock in. since they don't have a standard thumb worm screw. Makes it rather usless for emergency work unless you wanna carry 2, or for bending sheet. 'Is 12 guage metric or imperial?"

PS: Found another road tool today! a cargo strap! Decent looking one, There was another, but it had allready been run over a few times... -_-;