PDA

View Full Version : A question about shipping from Canada to the US

jstinem
08-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know anything about an outfit called Parcel2go, (http://www.parcel2go.com/)? My daughter is trying to buy something from a private seller in Canada and the seller suggested using Parcel2go to handle the transaction. What do get form these guys that you would need and/or wouldn't get using the postal services or UPS, FedEx,...etc?
Thanks
Joe

Black_Moons
08-15-2011, 10:20 PM
well I don't know about canada->us but us->canada you get $30+ duty bills for items under $20, and it only goes up from there, when using UPS...

MaxHeadRoom
08-15-2011, 10:27 PM
It looks like they use a 3rd party carrier, not themselves?
If it is not that high a priced item, you may want to use CanPost/USPS.
For Canada to US shipments the allowance before any duties is much higher than coming the other way into Canada.
Canada has a limit of $20 before any duties are due, and with the US it is $200.
Max.

Mcgyver
08-15-2011, 11:45 PM
well I don't know about canada->us but us->canada you get $30+ duty bills for items under $20, and it only goes up from there, when using UPS...

No, you get a $30 customs clearance charges and sales tax....not duty...our maching stuff is duty free. Most of the $30 is the stuff UPS layers for clearing a zero duty item :mad:

that site looks more like its UK based? I would just mail it...unless its very valuable then it might be worth the higher insurance of a Fedex et al....I think the Canada Post insurance tops out at $200

Evan
08-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Use Canada Post. The have all the same services as the Couriers usually at lower cost . You can have it sent Parcel Post, International Express mail, or Expedited International Express mail depending on how quickly you want it.

lazlo
08-16-2011, 12:39 AM
I assume that if the Canadian seller is suggesting a parcel service, the package is over the Canadian Post weight limit.

All the majors (UPS, FedEx, DHL) charge about the same rate for customs brokerage. I would imagine a Mom & Pop carrier would charge as much, or more...
If you're not aware: the carrier tacks the customs brokerage on as a COD charge. Ebay sellers on both sides of the border will often feign ignorance and just ship by a common carrier, knowing you'll be the one paying the brokerage fee.

Evan
08-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Canada Post has the same restrictions as the couriers. The maximum weight is 30 kilos or 66 lbs with a maximum length+width of 3 metres or 9.8 feet.

jstinem
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks, guys
I think that my daughter is not going to do the deal now. She was under the impression that Parcel2go would act as a broker to handle the money and product to be sure that both parties got what they expected. I don't think that is the case.
Thanks again
Joe
P.S. I'll try to remember the "OT' designation next time.