PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Taper pins

Shuswap Pat
08-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Has anyone gto a magic method of removing taperpins that have been previously abused - beaten on both ends.

Pat

lakeside53
08-17-2011, 02:20 AM
I have 4 just like that on my lathe. I can't even tell which end is the smaller. My plan is to grind both ends flush, use some dye to outline the pin, and measure... then with a good backstop, hammer and drift, drive the pin out...

Plan B (after Plan A fails...) is to drill, tap and pull... Just how the 20 or so "blind" taper pins are removed.

macona
08-17-2011, 03:25 AM
One of the guys over on the Monarch forum on PM made up a little device similar to a gear puller, but instead pushes the pins out.

Taper pins are soft. They are intended to be cut to length afterward. Just drill it out.

lakeside53
08-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Drilling works, but if it's not really obvious, you still need to figure out the large and small end and be sure to be aligned if you want to insert a new pin! Drill from the small end if possible, then punch it out before drilling all the way through. If it's on shaft, a firm backstop is needed to avoid bending or bearing damage.

I'm going to insert new pins with a threaded center to facilitate future removal.

On my lathe, the pins are in so tightly it's as if they were dipped in liquid nitrogen before insertion.

gcude
08-17-2011, 11:42 AM
One of the guys over on the Monarch forum on PM made up a little device similar to a gear puller, but instead pushes the pins out.

Taper pins are soft. They are intended to be cut to length afterward. Just drill it out.

Boy, I've been there before. As Macona says, "Just drill it out". Your frustration level will be immediately lowered.

flathead4
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
then with a good backstop, hammer and drift, drive the pin out...

For what it's worth, I've had luck with a heavy hammer and a large punch that I have ground the end to fit the small end of the taper pin. A little ball-peen and a small drift will just make a mess of pin that's stuck. A good backstop is important, too. One or two sound wacks will usually get it moving.

Good luck.

Tom

Don Young
08-17-2011, 10:14 PM
For what it's worth, I've had luck with a heavy hammer and a large punch that I have ground the end to fit the small end of the taper pin. A little ball-peen and a small drift will just make a mess of pin that's stuck. A good backstop is important, too. One or two sound wacks will usually get it moving.

Good luck.

Tom

I too have found that a well fitting punch, a BIG hammer and a firm heavy support along with ONE good blow will nearly always do it. If you fool around trying to be gentle with it, it will win. My Dad used to tell me: "Hit it like you mean it".

If it comes to drilling, leaving a blind end in a thin shell with a punch down the hole works real well in preventing damage to the tapered hole while still getting the pin out.

Shuswap Pat
08-18-2011, 12:49 AM
I was a little concerned to smack it with a big hammer, and grenade something in the process. Drilling it is a last resort because it is in a tight spot - but I do have a small air drill.

Thanks for the input

Pat

jugs
08-18-2011, 09:36 AM
I was a little concerned to smack it with a big hammer, and grenade something in the process. Drilling it is a last resort because it is in a tight spot - but I do have a small air drill.

Thanks for the input

Pat

As don says

I too have found that a well fitting punch, a BIG hammer and a firm heavy support along with ONE good blow will nearly always do it. If you fool around trying to be gentle with it, it will win. My Dad used to tell me: "Hit it like you mean it".

If it comes to drilling, leaving a blind end in a thin shell with a punch down the hole works real well in preventing damage to the tapered hole while still getting the pin out.

If it's properly supported, 1 big smack will do far less damage than 10 light taps because the light taps swell the end (riveting) & you end up having to deal with that as well :mad: ...........................& don't ask how I know.:D

john
:)

loose nut
08-19-2011, 09:47 AM
We had some stuck, hardened, taper pins in a large "fin fan" gears box so I built up the top of the pins with SS welding rod and then slipped a nut over the weld and welded that on and the millwrights were able to get a grip on that with the puller. Welding on the pin loosened it up and it came right out.