PDA

View Full Version : Replacable head end mills??????

cucvzuz
08-17-2011, 01:34 PM
I recently got some tooling at my local scrap yard, where i get all of my tooling, at scrap weight, most of ti unused.
I found these replacable head end mill heads.
There are many more of these and they look handy.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/cucvzuz/P8170088.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/cucvzuz/P8170089.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/cucvzuz/P8170090.jpg

Only issue, I do not know who makes them. I did a google search of all the possible ways i could think of, and nothing. The MP3000 is the grade of Carbide as far as I can gather. The R04 is on two different sizes.

Sandvik and Seco makes the same thing but not this one. I would like to buy a shank for the one i have.
here is a link to the sandvik ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1rQSrQ1LtE

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Black_Moons
08-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Hmmm, Id wonder what they are made of. the black ones kinda look like cheap carbon steel tooling to me. The threads( insert?) sure look nice.

Would make sense to only have carbide coated threaded insert mills, even a HSS shank is pertty rigid (though they could have a single carbide shank that would still save money)

Carbide indexable inserts taken to a whole new level.

cucvzuz
08-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Hmmm, Id wonder what they are made of. the black ones kinda look like cheap carbon steel tooling to me. The threads( insert?) sure look nice.

Would make sense to only have carbide coated threaded insert mills, even a HSS shank is pertty rigid (though they could have a single carbide shank that would still save money)

Carbide indexable inserts taken to a whole new level.

The inserts are all solid carbide, the dark ones are TiALN coated and the gold ones are TiN coated.

I also grabbed a few 3/8 ball nose heads

Black_Moons
08-17-2011, 05:08 PM
TiALN? I wish they would stop inventing new coatings for me to learn about, I just got used to TiN.

Although it does make tooling more colourful :)

strokersix
08-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Kinda looks like mag drill tooling. But not quite.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00ABvQdVMJiOqg/Tct-Magnetic-Drill-Bits-TCT-08-.jpg

dockrat
08-17-2011, 09:49 PM
TiALN? I wish they would stop inventing new coatings for me to learn about, I just got used to TiN.

Although it does make tooling more colourful :)

Here ya go....read and learn LOL

http://www.tincoat.net/coatings/tialn.html

Toolguy
08-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Wow - Those are great! I would sure like to get some for scrap price! I think the shank or arbor for those mates to the top of the cutter with a long bolt going through like a drawbar to cinch them up. Or not.

macona
08-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Ha! My google-fu better than yours!

http://www.secotools.com/CorpWeb/north_america/Literature_brochures/2011%20MMP%20lores.pdf

gwilson
08-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Those are probably VERY expensive. If I had a chance,I'd run back and get all of them,and at least make a threaded shank for them from hardened and tempered tool steel.

Robin R
08-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I have to agree that it would be worth buying all of them that you can, deals like that are almost unheard of, unless you are Mcgyver that is. If there was more there than you can use, you should have no trouble selling them for a decent profit.

Things look even better, now you know where to go for the correct shanks.

macona
08-18-2011, 12:38 AM
I agree too. I would buy some from you too if you felt up to it.

I would just buy the holder myself. I like having good runout.

tdmidget
08-18-2011, 12:38 AM
The inserts are all solid carbide, the dark ones are TiALN coated and the gold ones are TiN coated.

I also grabbed a few 3/8 ball nose heads.

Doesn't look like TiAlN to me, Its not black. The ones I have used were blackish brown, transparent.

Richard Wilson
08-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Definitely look like Rotabroach (mag drill) cutters to me. With a suitable mounting I don't see why they couldn't be used on a mill though. Good for plunge cutting a hole right through the workpiece, in fact thats what they were made for.

Richard

morehelium
08-19-2011, 04:15 AM
Macona Nailed it. I thought these looked like Iscar / Seco Minimaster heads but they're actually the latest generation of them!

Buy all they have!

What I want to know is where the hell this scrapyard you frequent is located?!!!

Damn!

PixMan
08-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Those are definitely the Seco tools. The uncoated carbide and TiAlN-coated carbide heads generally cost about the same as a premium coated solid carbide end mill. The savings is (for a commercial shop anyhow), in being able to swap the heads and maintain the length within a "couple tenths". This is ideal for CNC machines that don't have multiple holders and a standalone preset station.

Depending upon diameter, those cutter heads cost between $50 and $150 each. A mating steel shank would run from about $90 to $150, but those last quite a long time. You also need the proper wrenches, or you risk damaging the heads.

I don't know where you found someone throwing out thousands of dollars worth of current, modern, high-productivity tooling, but I'll buy it off of you is you don't wish to invest in the other parts of the system.

BTW, just because it's black doesn't mean its TiAlN, it could be AlTiN or something else. The "gold" coating is rarely TiN these days, it's more-often TiCN. Color itself means next to nothing.

I just read up on the Seco documents and was surprised to see them state repeatability of length at +/- .001" and radial runout of up to .0006". The Sandvik Coromill 316 and Walter ConeFit are up to ten times better, and use both a taper and face to seat the heads. Much more rigid and repeatable, something commercial shops need more than my dad's 1961 Bridgeport does.

cucvzuz
08-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all the helpin findig the right shank.

With great regret I must tell you that i went back there this afternoon, and they were all gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They keep the scrap carbide they get in a 55 gal drum. That drum has been there filling up, for months (6-8). They sold the whole drum full yesterday!!!!!!!!

I am definatly interested in selling the heads if anybody wants them PM me. (if that allowed).

99% of all of my tooling comes from this place. I have to stop grabbing taps and endmills because i have no place to store them. I have over 40 3/8 taps. for example. I think i pay $2.00 lb for HSS, and $10 for carbide.

during one trip a few years ago I snagged abotu 20 1/2" TiAlN roughing name brand endmills. and about th same amount in finish. I maybe Paid $80. Each bit retail for $50.

PixMan
08-20-2011, 10:39 PM
I'd make an offer but have enough carbide to last a long, long time already. The shanks for those heads aren't something you can easily make, BTW. The thread is a special, and hardened pretty good. Better to just pony up the $90 to $150 or so (depending upon size) to buy the right ones.