PDA

View Full Version : My shop is too small

pasofino
08-17-2011, 03:54 PM
I have a 3 car garage on my ranch and I use one of them as my woodworking and metalworking shop, but like most shops it is too small. I came up with a simple idea that while not perfect is a great help. I put in a cement pad about 15 by 20 feet outside the double door and I have a fold-up table on wheels that I can roll out to provide a significant amount of work space and and a table to work on. Of course this doesn't work in the rain, but here in Cal we don't get much rain in the summer, so it is a great help to me.

KiddZimaHater
08-17-2011, 03:58 PM
I have a 3 car garage on my ranch
You sir, make me sick.:mad:
A 3-car garage, AND a ranch?
I'm crammed into a 1-car garage with neighbors 15 feet away. I don't even have the ability to expand.:(
Unless of course, I move.:)

oil mac
08-17-2011, 06:18 PM
A three car garage! I would think i was in heaven , I have came to the conclusion, that we never have a big enough workspace, it is the nature of the beast, Even the old inner city factories crammed in between houses one found the management always complaining about space, It all boils down to the scale of the products we turn out, or the clutter of rubbish we cram in, a good clean out now and again is not a bad idea:confused:

mr.book
08-17-2011, 10:20 PM
U shop is too small ???

Don't be funny....but , u is very fierce.:D

mcdermott cues (http://www.billiardlover.com/mcdermott-pool-cue.html) poison cues (http://www.billiardlover.com/poison-pool-cues.html) predator cues (http://www.billiardlover.com/predator-pool-cues.html)

vpt
08-17-2011, 10:28 PM
I have yet to meet one guy that says his garage/shop is too big.

C - ROSS
08-17-2011, 10:54 PM
My 50X75 shop is still too small.

Ross

wooleybooger
08-17-2011, 11:23 PM
my 8x20 shipping container is too small but i dont waste a lot of time doing laps around it looking for the tool i just put down. i find it a lot faster than you guys with the big shops.

huntinguy
08-17-2011, 11:32 PM
I am in one third of a two car garage.....

Wait a minute while I go look for sympathy :p

I wish I had room for a fold up bench.....

Scottike
08-18-2011, 12:12 AM
My shop is too small too! OK, Who's taking all the extra shop space?

Joe Rogers
08-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Garages aren't for cars you know...:D
There. Now your shop is 3 times larger.
Joe

lakeside53
08-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I have a barn and a 3 car garage. Most of the machining is in the garage, but the wife's car is on wheels, and my welders, carts, tool boxes etc slide into its place.

Chris S.
08-18-2011, 12:43 PM
I have a 3 car garage on my ranch and .....

On your "Ranch"!? I live on a postage stamp in S. Florida. My wood/metal shop is a 10x20 framed and enclosed section of my screen room. I have way too much machinery than I have space for, so 50% of the machines and debris are on wheels and stored under tarps in the screen room area. When Francis and then Wilma blew through here the tarps didn't do much! :-)

Anyway, one of the things I'm considering as a "to do" is this... Since the air compressor and my dust collector do not need to reside within the shop I'm planning to pour a small slab that will butt up to the east side of my shop. This slab will support a small shed to house these two machines.

Chris

saltmine
08-18-2011, 01:34 PM
My shop is so small.....wait for it....I have to go outside to change my mind.

The cockroaches are hunch-backed, and my Wind Scorpion is getting fat.

I wish I could put in a compressor, but if I did, I'd have to run my machines from outside.

Chris S.
08-18-2011, 08:58 PM
My shop is so small.....wait for it....I have to go outside to change my mind.

The cockroaches are hunch-backed, and my Wind Scorpion is getting fat.

I wish I could put in a compressor, but if I did, I'd have to run my machines from outside.

Actually, this makes me feel good! I'm incessantly jealous of guys with barn sized shops. So I guess misery enjoys company. :D

Thirty years ago I purchased 2.5 acres of land on a small island ~ ..75 Miles x 1.5 miles. Scarcely populated, no paved roads and accessed only by boat. It sits in Lake George with the Ocala National Forest off the west shore. The island is a hunter's paradise, complete with deer, hog and duck up the kazoo. The river sports an abundance of bass, catfish (my favorite) and since the water is brackish, blue claw crab too!

Anyway, the plan was to retire there and build a nice log cabin, with a 360 deg porch. After that would come my dream shop the size of a tall barn. Big enough to isolate the wood shop from the metal shop and still have room for a horse or two, swamp buggy and a john boat.

Reality time... I'm now retired but too old to live on an island where I'd have to dodder into my john boat just to get across the river. Distance from doctors and hospitals become imperatives in the senior years. Boats seem to know when your in distress. If they're going to fail they'll wait patiently for that perfect moment! I can just see myself hanking in a pull cord in the middle of a heart attack.

So here I am in my 10x20 trying to figure how many more sheds I can stuff in my little back yard without code enforcement harassing me... The End.

Gravy
08-18-2011, 09:14 PM
I have a 3 car garage on my ranch.

Please tell me that "On my ranch" means that the garage is attached to your modest ranch-style house. Otherwise, I'll have to join the others in the lynch mob. I'm sure that among us we can find an adequate supply of tar and feathers...

All kidding aside, even if I had a 10,000sf shop, I'd still have to work on some stuff outside. Projects always expand to at least 150% of the available space.

So when are you going to post pix?:cool:

flylo
08-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Shop is 52'x84' & yes I have stuff outside & a path down the center. Doesn't matter how big your shop is it's always too small. I've never parked a car inside any garage I've owned.

Gravy
08-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I've never parked a car inside any garage I've owned.

"Car in garage"? Please explain this concept to me:confused:

Cars are for driving. Garages are for tools.

huntinguy
08-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Garages aren't for cars you know...:D
There. Now your shop is 3 times larger.
Joe

The cars and the bandsaw are in the driveway (I sooo, hope the wife doesn't look under the blue tarp.....)! My fishing, hunting, car repair stuff, and yard stuff, and house repair stuff and.... Are in the other two thirds.:eek: