PDA

View Full Version : Cutting strap on a bandsaw

dockterj
08-18-2011, 12:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222#p/search/1/CvJbOVt1qqI

5:43 in he says to lay the strap down and never cut it standing up. I thought the gullets of the blade were liable to fill up when someting is cut this way. Assuming the strap is think enough that at least two teeth are in the material at all times (and you are using a saw that cuts straight) which is more "correct"?

Dan Dubeau
08-18-2011, 09:24 PM
he's right. I've always kept as many teeth in the cut as possible, and never had a problem. Blades last longer, and cuts don't wander.

Dawai
08-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Straps??

I bought a pair of bolt cutters for narrow strap, and rod.. zoom zoom..
$40 pair of cutters = very many blades for the port-a-band saw..

dockterj
08-18-2011, 11:07 PM
sorry - by strap I meant rectangular sections that are very much wider than thick.

Black_Moons
08-19-2011, 04:52 AM
I cut thin stock on edge.. But, I turn the hydraulic downfeed on my bandsaw down so that the saw does not dive in and teeth just nip the work and the hydraulic downfeed fully supports the blade.

Btw: really loved the video. Way better then any other videos iv seen on machining. Says to do stuff, and says why its important. Talks clearly, no music, etc. Clear good photography, Reasonabley ready in his speech.

Davo J
08-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Standing up thinner stuff will cut quicker, but will be more wear and tear on your blade.
I always lay my flat bar down, it takes longer but I get a good run out of the blade.
In the vertical mode, cutting sheet metal with a 14 tooth bi metal blade (the only tooth count I can buy locally) I have actually ripped teeth off the blades. So I soon found out I was better using the 18 tooth carbon blades on it.

Dave