PDA

View Full Version : Marking inserts?

goose
08-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Have any practical ideas/suggestions on marking a carbide insert? To differentiate the cutting points new from used.

Like, I know when they're dull, but what about the adjacent facet? New or worn? Usually I rotate counter-clockwise, but can't remember all the time. Mount and use it you can tell. Feel with your finger, not so reliable. Look at the tip very closely you can see the wear, but that takes time. Can't mark it with a Sharpie, the ink comes off with the cutting fluids.

Any thoughts?

TGTool
08-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Hmm. Whack the used corners with a hammer so they're easier to see? :D

PixMan
08-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Red Dykem.

Scottike
08-19-2011, 11:19 AM
You might try marking a line with a scribe coming off the dull point.

edit: that may not work so well with something like a TNMG insert, as the scribe line may upset the seating of the insert when you you flip it over to use the other side.?

Jaakko Fagerlund
08-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Small Dremel or such and a round diamond file etc. to it. Can be used to alter/make chip breakers too :)

383 240z
08-19-2011, 02:24 PM
we used replaceable cutters on the brake lathes in the shops I worked in, Hell would come quick to the guy who forgot to mark the dull tip with a sharpie. Keith

Black_Moons
08-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Red Dykem.

+1

I also use red dykem on any drill bits I find that don't drill, so I know not to use them, and to attempt to resharpen them someday.

Sharpie might be a little more accurate on inserts.. though I think it tends to come off easyer with cutting oil. Dykem drys a little harder and more resistant to cutting oils, though might wear off from chips passing over it.

A good jewlers lupe is good for checking what inserts are good and what ones are chiped however.

Chris S.
08-19-2011, 09:42 PM
You could try cleaning it first with mineral spirits and marking it with enamel nail polish. It dries quickly.

lane
08-19-2011, 11:05 PM
If you can`t tell what edge is used are worn You dont need to change it yet,it is not worn enough to change . when it chips then change it . They cost too much.

JoeFin
08-19-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't "turn" the insert as often as I check them under 30x tool scope. Its about the only way I can tell if I have a worn, eroded, or micro-chipped cutting edge.

If I chip them big enough to see without a scope then I'm really doing some thing wrong

DickDastardly40
08-20-2011, 12:14 AM
How about rather than marking the insert, you scribe an rotational arrow on the end of your tool holder to remind you which way to turn the tip and put an increasing number of spots of marker pen or similar on the QCTP holder where it doesn't see any coolant to remind you how many edges you've used?

Clean the spots off for every new tip.