PDA

View Full Version : Strange Horizontal Cutter

MrSleepy
08-20-2011, 09:24 AM
I was looking through a large box of (tool gloat (http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/MrSleepy123/x-montage.jpg)) cutters I scored a year or two for one that could cut on the side.

I found this one.. It looks fairly standard from one side..but the other side has a strange profile..
It has been made like this ...not altered by a previous owner..

Question is why...Has it been done to aid chip removal...increase coolant ingress...was it part of a gang cutter...

Any ideas..

Rob

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/MrSleepy123/cutter.jpg

Peter.
08-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Surely that's just a cutout to drive the cutter with dogs?

EDIT, actually, it wouldn't have a key if that were the case. Perhaps it's to stack a pair of opposite-hand cutters?

TGTool
08-20-2011, 10:01 AM
What about a left/right pair that are used together for a close width tolerance slot. As the cutters are sharpened on their outside edges you can put shims between them to compensate for the width reduction.

Forrest Addy
08-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Yup. You use it like a dado set.

Doc Nickel
08-20-2011, 04:56 PM
It's not necessarily to readjust after sharpening (though that works too) but mainly to produce a close-tolerance slot.

Say the two cutters, stacked together with zero shims, are nominally 1" wide, but the drawing calls for 1.015". So you put a .015" shim between them when mounting 'em on the arbor. Voila! A 1.015" cutter.

Double-check that boxful for the other half. Hopefully it hasn't been lost.

Doc.

drof34
08-20-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't believe that cutter will face mill on but one side, the side that's up in the first photo.

darryl
08-21-2011, 01:50 AM
If it doesn't have a mate, or if you don't want to use it in a variable width slot cutting application, it might make a pretty decent low profile face milling cutter.

If it were mine, that's precisely what I'd do. I'd make a backing plate that would fit the largest diameter of the mill spindle, turning a recess into it so a light press fit can mount it securely. Then hold it up into place with a drawbar. On my mill the spindle has a slot cut across it- I added a pin to the backing plate that fits into one of these slots. That prevents the backing plate from spinning on the spindle.

With that done, mount a tool on the table and use that to true the bottom of the backing plate, and to machine it to accept the milling cutter. It should be easy enough to see how to secure the cutter to the plate.

boslab
08-21-2011, 08:46 AM
ive used one like that in a vertical machine, goes straight on an arbour.
regards
mark