PDA

View Full Version : Measure twice, cut once.

Forrest Addy
08-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Just listened to a friend of mine vent becase he thought he was doomed.

He contracted to make a bunch of parts from alloy steel leaving grind stock, had them heated. Next step the grind. This is a guy who has been in the trade for 40 years. Recent times have been tough. He's let go all his guys and is single handing his shop that once had eleven employees. He's scratchng but he's making it. If he makes no mistakes and stays healthy, he'll survive.

The call goes: "Just listen a minute.." and goes on to tell his story. In a nutshell he set a bore gage for grinding the ID. According to his bore gage the rough bore is about 0.006" oversize already on all 200+ parts. I listen; he talks; a desparate man with a real tale of woe. I could hear him handling things in the background. Dawning realization enters his voice. I still haven't said much.

He exclaims: "Gawd! I'm a sap!!" and hangs up. An hour later I hear the rest of the story. When he set his bore gage he selected blocks from the case going from the label at each place a block is stored. Turned out the 0.113 block was swapped with the 0.131 block. He looked at the slot not the number on the block. He verbally kicked his own butt a few times, thanked me, and hung up again.

I said "Hello" twice and "Damn, that's too bad" and "Congratulations" once each. Never said goodby. Anyway Russ is a happy and relieved man. He's probably right now (4:20 PM sunday) grinding up a storm on his ancient Heald internal grinder.

Goes to show the aphorism is correct once again. Measure twice etc.

My quesion is: am I a hero or a listener?

My other question is: when is it going to happen to me. I'm overdue for a dufus attack.

PixMan
08-21-2011, 08:36 PM
My question is: am I a hero or a listener?

My other question is: when is it going to happen to me. I'm overdue for a dufus attack.

Question 1: Listener. A good friend does this.
Question 2: Probably by tomorrow. Another sub-chapter of Murphy's Law.

BTW, calling a Heald internal grinder ancient is redundant. They are ALL ancient. And I wish I had one. One of my first jobs out of trade school was field service for Heald Machine.

Carld
08-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Well Forrest, it happens to everyone eventually and especially when I get in a hurry.

I don't understand, did he use the .131" block and should have used the .113"?

lynnl
08-21-2011, 09:33 PM
One should also insure that both of the "measures" precede the "cut once."

I sometimes forget that.

danlb
08-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Well Forrest, it happens to everyone eventually and especially when I get in a hurry.

I don't understand, did he use the .131" block and should have used the .113"?

Sounds like he'd made the parts undersize, then used the .113 to set up his gage. He was expecting to need to remove another .012 or so, but instead was seeing that the bore was already too big.. on 200 parts.

Glad it had a happy ending.

Dan

Tony Ennis
08-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Think thrice, measure twice, cut once.

Black_Moons
08-21-2011, 10:08 PM
One should also insure that both of the "measures" precede the "cut once."
I sometimes forget that.

Hahaha, yea. 'Measure.. Cut.. Measure again.. Hmm, Its too short.' - Welding solves a lot of problems.

Errol Groff
08-21-2011, 10:23 PM
In twenty three years of insructing I couldn't imagine how many times I told students, never trust a drill or gage block from the index. Always measure or check the size!

saltmine
08-21-2011, 10:26 PM
It doesn't matter how many times I cut it off, it's still too short.

Mcostello
08-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Hey Forrest, you don't have to worry, I used up several of your dofus attacks here. I unintentionally intercepted them and they are kaput!

Forrest Addy
08-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Glad someone else is using up my bad luck for me, Mark. Keep up the good work.

I called a bit ago. Things are going well. He's having wheel dresser problems and has no sharp dresser diamonds on hand - a serious problem on an internal grinder. So he's knocking out the stock and getting a fresh diamond manana so he can finish the bores.

All is well.

BTW, I wanted to put a tilde "~" over the "n" in the middle of "manana." What's the keyboard trick?

Evan
08-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Nobody is immune. When I have something that really matters I measure twice using two different instruments. More than once I have misread the same instrument twice in a row.

Evan
08-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Forrest,

Use Character Map in Programs> Accessories >System tools.

flutedchamber
08-22-2011, 12:39 AM
The first thing to do when you discover a 'mistake' is not to panic. Sometimes, as in this case, there really isn't a problem at all.

I'm glad it worked out. Hope his blood pressure comes back to earth soon.:D

Carld
08-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Hmmm, ok, I guess he was undersize and thought he was oversize. It's always better when that happens rather than the other way.

FatWheels
08-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Forrest,

You were looking for [alt] 164. I'm sure a chart exists with appropriate numerical values for all the odd little characters available. I usually have to piddle around with plugging in values until I get the right one. Just hold down the ALT key while typing a three digit number to use this feature.

regards,

Jim

Alistair Hosie
08-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Forrest your a hero and a listener, and a great guy in my book well done again pal. Alistair

lynnl
08-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Forrest,

You were looking for [alt] 164. I'm sure a chart exists with appropriate numerical values for all the odd little characters available. I usually have to piddle around with plugging in values until I get the right one. Just hold down the ALT key while typing a three digit number to use this feature.

regards,

Jim

I just google something like "num pad codes" or "ascii code table" to find the one I want. I could make my own table, but then I'd never find it when I needed it.

Don't forget you have to use the NUM pad on the right end of the keyboard (along with ALT). The numbers along the top won't work.

Lew Hartswick
08-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Forrest,

Use Character Map in Programs> Accessories >System tools.
Evan I don't see a "character map" in my System tools.
Where else or what other name to look for?
...lew...

dockrat
08-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Forrest,

regards,

Jim

Alt-0241 also works

a link to a list of most of them

http://www.nouilles.info/keyboard_shortcuts.html

MrSleepy
08-22-2011, 08:22 PM
My quesion is: am I a hero or a listener?

More like a friend.

A good friend will help you to move.
A real friend will help you to move a body.

Rob