PDA

View Full Version : any CAD/CAM training websites?

KiddZimaHater
08-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Are there any websites that have CAD/CAM training, or tutorials?
I can manually program using G-code, but most employers are fixated on CAD/CAM.
Solidworks, Gibbs, Mastercam, etc. etc.
So where's a guy to learn, without spending thousands on software?

scmw
08-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Many of the major CAD programs are available as student versions. One way to get it for less is to enroll in a class at your local community college and get a student ID. Many people do this as a way to learn major (Expensive) CAD apps.

I would recommend looking at www.novedge.com as a CAD/CAM supplier for student versions. They sell SolidWorks 2011/2012 student version for $99.00. Rhino's academic license is $149.99 and it is not timed whereas the SW version is only a 12 month license. Many others are similarly priced for academic versions. Rhino is the only one that I know of where the license is not timed and it's yours forever.

Some CAM programs are also available as student versions. You could also contact your local community college to see if they have a CAD/CAM class program available. Many CC's have hooked up with Haas as they created a training program centered upon their equipment and products. Several friends of mine have taken CC courses, picked up cheap software, use the school shop with late model CNC equipment that they don't have in their home shops. It's a pretty cool deal.

Hope this helps,