PDA

View Full Version : Where is Oldtiffie?

MichaelP
08-22-2011, 11:21 PM
He's absent since Feb. I hope he 's OK.

J Tiers
08-22-2011, 11:55 PM
He left a while back about when several left in varying degrees of "acrimony".....

many of them have come back, and things have actually been pretty quiet as far as contentious threads..... I don't recall any since.

You are correct, Tiffie seem to be permanently gone. His choice, I assume, given the timing.

Dibs I on one of his T&Cgrinders, though, if his will doesn't specify scrapping. ;) :D

dp
08-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Australia. Down under.

Davo J
08-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Hi Michael,
I have thought the same thing over the last few months.

The last I heard from the Mods is he was having a spell from the forum.
He was ganged up on a while back about showing what he did with all his tools and machinery, which I thought was unfair. It shouldn't matter how much someone uses their tools/machinery.
He was always willing to help anyone, and would post pictures/links to help explain things as well. He is a knowledgeable fellow and put a lot of time and effort into the forum over the years.

So if your reading this Oldtiffie, it would be good to see you back around the forum.

Dave

aostling
08-23-2011, 02:04 AM
He's absent since Feb. I hope he 's OK.

He is "hibernating." I had a PM from Mick on 17 July 2011. He feels badly about some offensive remarks he had made. But I urged him to come back. I hope he will his remarks have never been mean-spirited, and the forum isn't quite the same without him.

MarkA
08-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Oldtiffie helped me a great deal when I was purchasing a T&C grinder late last year. I harassed him so much I'm sure he wished he'd never heard from me, but he was always very helpful with advice, direction, and photos to help me along the way.

Still have NFI what I'm doing with the grinder, but that's a lack of time to play, and no reflection on OT.

I never got the chance to thank Oldtiffie publicly for all his help, and so i would like to take the opportunity to do so now.

So, Oldtiffie, if you're still lurking on this forum, many thanks for all your help mate.

Cheers
Mark

gcude
08-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Craig Donges was another who dropped off when the forums heated up and he felt attacked unfairly for offering goods. That was over on PM. It's a shame, as what Craig was offering was much needed by members to either keep existing machines running or just as a source for good American Iron that otherwise might be headed to scrap. Wish he were back. He's in the rust belt and was able to find and offer good deals for those us that are rust deprived.

oldtiffie
08-23-2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks all.

I felt that I may have been a bit of a lightning rod and attracted a fair bit of comment that I was not too pleased about prior to and up to February this year.

I decided to take myself out of the forum for an initial 3 months - later extended to 4 and 6 months - and see how it went, which I did, but I logged on fairly regularly during that period so that I could "keep in touch".

There seemed to be a fair bit of acrimony about as well to and by others and I thought that the forum and I could do with "rest" from each other on that score as well.

I have (re)considered how I format my posts as regards too many copies of images (rather than links) and some other items too. I will endeavour to keep to that too.

I got "ticked off" with a "lift your game" - or (implied "or else") - PM from George Bulliss some time ago that hit the mark with me as I had over-stepped the mark on some occasions. I replied and apologised to George and said that I quite understood and would abide by the rules and would not push the limits too far too often.

I have stuck rigidly to that undertaking and intend to keep to it. I will ignore any posts that may otherwise cause me to breach that obligation.

I will post on an occasional rather that a regular basis.

To that end and to reduce the chance of any hi-jacking or diverting a current thread, I have book-marked some posts/threads that seem to have run their course and which I think have some HSM content and merit in them that I may be able to make some useful contribution to.

I really do appreciate how George Bulliss has exerted his authority and control to keep the forum on a mainly HSM basis with little or no political or "heavy" adversarial content.

Thanks George.

aostling
08-23-2011, 05:10 AM
I really do appreciate how George Bulliss has exerted his authority and control

Is there anything George can do to make you stop messing with your post count?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/Screenshot2011-08-23at11730AM.png

John Stevenson
08-23-2011, 05:26 AM

Wow, he's got more than Evan. :D

Good to see the 'new' Tiffie back, but also please leave all the endless Tiffiepedia links out of your posts.

oldtiffie
08-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Thanks John.

The "too many Wikipedia links" will be cut back drastically as well.

oldtiffie
08-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Is there anything George can do to make you stop messing with your post count?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/Screenshot2011-08-23at11730AM.png

We shall see. I have consulted the oracle. It should be reduced more than somewhat - hopefully zero. My "Date of Joining" and "Rank" (ie "Member") should stay "as is".

So far as I am concerned, I am only and merely just a member, irrespective of my number of posts or "Rank" (which is based soley on number of posts and not, so far as I am aware, based on merit).

Having said that, I must stress that it is and should only be applied me. The normal attributes should continue to apply to others if they wish.

All of my previous posts for the previous 12 months are here - none have been deleted:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/search.php?searchid=742090

Previous posts are in the archive/s.

Gavin
08-23-2011, 06:27 AM
4,294,967,295 - 32 bit unsigned integer set to it's upper limit. Coding issues somewhere.....

MCS
08-23-2011, 06:27 AM
We shall see. I have consulted the oracle. It should be reduced more than somewhat - hopefully zero. My "Date of Joining" and "Rank" (ie "Member") should stay "as is".

In hexadecimal the postcount translates as 0xFFFFFFFF, which can be seen as -1. So nothing to worry about.

oldtiffie
08-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks MCS.

Well, I'll be "ff"-ed.

And it was made so.

mike4
08-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Glad to see everything is ok with you , some of you posts were informative and if I have any questions I might drop you a PM just to check first.

Michael

davidwdyer
08-23-2011, 08:20 AM
OldTiffe,

I would like to encourage you to continue on with us, in spite of our defects.

My recent project with a gear cutter, if I remember correctly, was partially inspired by you when you recommended a book on gear cutting by Ivan Law.

tmc_31
08-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Glad your back tiff

Tim

Davo J
08-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Good to see you back.
How are those granite surface plates and squares going, I have been waiting for you to come back and do the review that you spoke about.

Dave

MotorradMike
08-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Glad you're back oldtiffie. Post whatever you want, nobody has to read it if it doesn't apply.
At least you apologized sometimes.

Just sayin'.

DFMiller
08-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Welcome back.
I look forward to checking out your wisdom again.
Dave

firbikrhd1
08-23-2011, 09:46 AM
It's good to see you posting again oldtiffe. I have missed reading your posts and learning. You, Evan and several others here have helped me to learn even when you weren't aware. I try to read and grasp any information I can as a read the posts, even when they don't relate directly to a project I'm currently working on.

sasquatch
08-23-2011, 10:04 AM
"YIPEEEEE" !! Old tiffie is back,, and i,d like to just say, "Welcome Back", you have been missed here.

Your,e postings were a great help to many of us here,, and that,s what much of this forum is about, helping each other,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

AND a number of us always need help and suggestions.

Mcgyver
08-23-2011, 10:11 AM
hey OT, I too wondered what had happened to you, glad to see you're still bobbin' & weavin'.

glad to see the post count thing fixed, i was expecting a flood as Evan tried to get back out in front :D

bborr01
08-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Welcome back OT.

Brian

Highpower
08-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I thought we were a kiwi short around here. ;)

Good to see you back again OT.

lakeside53
08-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Hey! We're not short, and I resemble that remark!:eek:

Tiffie- yes, welcome back. I enjoyed your practical posts, and still need to buy that damn book you keep posting pages from :)

dockrat
08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Tiffie!!! welcome back. I have missed you. I will give Highpower a slap alongside the head for calling you a Kiwi. :D

MichaelP
08-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm glad you're fine. Welcome back, Tiffie.

RobbieKnobbie
08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Now how do we get Mueller back???

Willy
08-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Yes, good to see you back in the saddle Tiffie.
You always went to a lot of trouble to explain things and I'm sure it was much appreciated by all. Even though it may not always have been said in so many words.

But I have always wondered...why the post count and join date alterations?

Highpower
08-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I will give Highpower a slap alongside the head for calling you a Kiwi. :D

Lord knows somebody needs to! ;)
Maybe it will knock some common sense back to where it needs to be. :D

oldtiffie
08-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks again to all.

I had to take some time out for the reasons previously given plus I needed to re-assess my attitude in large part. It was not pleasant in some cases but it sure was a shock and very informative - and often embarrassing too.

I should have known better and sooner - but such is the benefit of 20-20 hind-sight and retrospection.

I need to do these self-assessments and take a bit more notice of the advice of others a bit more often - and take note of the results.

But I will see how I go over time.

oldtiffie
08-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes, good to see you back in the saddle Tiffie.
You always went to a lot of trouble to explain things and I'm sure it was much appreciated by all. Even though it may not always have been said in so many words.

But I have always wondered...why the post count and join date alterations?

Thanks Willy.

I've been asked the same question several times over time as regards my post counts and join dates.

So far as I am concerned, all I want to be is a member among members as an equal where date of joining, numbers of posts and "Rank" were not issues as regarding "qualifications".

I prefer to be judged on the merit or lack of it in whatever I post in a generally HSM context.

The BBS software seems to need to have "date of joining", "rank" and "numbers of posts" inserted for each member - me included.

I have asked George Bulliss to address these matters for me some time ago. He obliged by setting and keeping my "date of joining" as the default date in the BBS software as well as keeping my "rank" as "member" irrespective of my real number of posts. I ask George to reduce my "numbers of posts" to zero or 1 when my numbers of posts gets near to or passes 100. A good recent example was my asking George to re-set my rather large "post count" to zero - which he did - check my post count now.

Thanks again George.

There is nothing sinister in this - just my personal preferences.

Your Old Dog
08-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Australia. Down under.

Down Under? I would think even those guys come up for air once and awhile.

Nice to see you back Tiff. I got beat up for saying I was leaving and you made no announcements but got no credit for it either? What the hell kind of board is this anywho? :D

I must say the wiki's got a bit tedious but I never felt I had to read them. I did appreciate your color highlighting on your drawn explanations but I know they drive his lord$h1t Stevenson batty so shoot me your address and I'll send you down a few more boxes just to tweak John's nuts !

I don't do soap operas so I have to rely on this board and a few key members for my daily fix of mayhem, drama and despair.

dp
08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
I was hoping you'd come back, Tiffie. Glad the "Illegitimi non carborundum" prevailed.

Willy
08-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for for clarifying this for me Tiffie.

Personally, although I can't speak for everyone, join dates and post counts don't mean squat to me.
Or anyone else I would guess.
There are people here who, although having been here only a few months possess infinitely more knowledge, and the ability to convey that knowledge, than those who have been here since day one!

There are some very talented members here whom I hold in very high regard, yet their post count and join dates do not reflect that they are veterans. But what they have written and shown is more than ample proof to me that are indeed to be respected in this "sport".

I would think we are all cognizant enough to look past the numbers.

If it were up to me post counts and join dates would be scraped and be replaced with at least a mandatory general location of the member, much more helpful in my opinion.

dockrat
08-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Personally, although I can't speak for everyone, join dates and post counts don't mean squat to me.

If it were up to me post counts and join dates would be scraped and be replaced with at least a mandatory general location of the member, much more helpful in my opinion.

+2 Post counts mean nothing to me. Some people have a comment on EVERYTHING. Location should be mandatory. At least a general area if you don't want to be specific.

Alistair Hosie
08-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Tiffe you've always been a good guy in my eyes, and your my pal bud,so take care and don't dissapear old son . Alistair

Swarf&Sparks
08-24-2011, 02:43 PM
G'day Mick, nice to see you're still here (or back)
been absent myself for a while, bit of a nomad at the mo :)

how goes the CNC?

cheers, Lin

Rustybolt
08-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks again to all.

I had to take some time out for the reasons previously given plus I needed to re-assess my attitude in large part. It was not pleasant in some cases but it sure was a shock and very informative - and often embarrassing too.

I should have known better and sooner - but such is the benefit of 20-20 hind-sight and retrospection.

I need to do these self-assessments and take a bit more notice of the advice of others a bit more often - and take note of the results.

But I will see how I go over time.

What's the point of getting old unless you can piss people off?