PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild - youtube series

lynnl
08-23-2011, 08:43 PM
I've always thought it would be fun/interesting/challenging to rebuild an engine or at least help someone else, but have never had the opportunity.

Stumbled across this video series which I found informative, as well as entertaining. I suspect also, some bad examples.

The guy states right up front that he's not a professional, but just a homeshop guy.

Posting it here just in case others might also have an interest. It's in 11 parts. Part 8 includes a little machining, where he widens some of the piston ring grooves. You can tell right off, he's not a professional machinist either. :D
Enjoy. (or not)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lbHHiqy5YY&feature=related

Carld
08-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, the one important thing he said was to get a friend that knows what he's doing to help you. The rest of the video's is most likely what his friend has told him to do and say. It's probably a good starter set of video's.

aboard_epsilon
08-23-2011, 09:26 PM
LOL

episode 8

he says looks pretty good ..if i drank coffee it would be every where.
i don't think so

crash bang wallop..three jaw.. cheap Chinese lathe

I wouldn't go there ...it's a wonder he didn't destroy the piston

thanks for that lynn made my day

all the best.markj

darryl
08-23-2011, 09:30 PM
I watched a bit of it up to the point where he gets the cutoff tool to bite. I couldn't watch anymore :)

topct
08-23-2011, 09:35 PM
I love You Tube instruction videos. This one is very popular,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FEafi_NYOc

Scottike
08-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm sorry - I had to stop when he didn't know what a rod end cap was.
edit: I would have loved to see the lathe part.

saltmine
08-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Ouch! Why is he cutting the ring grooves? I've been rebuilding engines for over 45 years and never had to do that.....unless, of course, I was making a new piston.

Looks to be an ole 7.3 Powersmoke Ford. I'm sure there will be a few of them rebuilt in home garages and back alleys as time goes on, Even more 6.0 Powersmokes, though.

lynnl
08-23-2011, 10:08 PM
In the part 8, machining the ring grooves, to impress his wife with his expertise, he refers to his travel indicator as a "dial caliper", or maybe it was "digital caliper." :D

He had trouble with a lot of the proper terms, including engine "block."

You're right on Saltmine. It was a 7.(something) Ford diesel.

vpt
08-23-2011, 10:30 PM
LOL

episode 8

he says looks pretty good ..if i drank coffee it would be every where.
i don't think so

crash bang wallop..three jaw.. cheap Chinese lathe

I wouldn't go there ...it's a wonder he didn't destroy the piston

thanks for that lynn made my day

all the best.markj

had to watch just because of this comment. That is some great stuff right there!

macona
08-24-2011, 12:08 AM
I literally laughed out loud when I saw the piston in the little 7x12. Darn thing wanted to flip over. And his comment about the knife being dull... :D

Carld
08-24-2011, 01:24 AM
I only watched the first video and I just watched #8 and :eek: geez, is this guy related to Airsmith? Maybe Airsmith taught him.

I retract my statement in my first post, this guy is DANGEROUS. It's amazing how many people that don't have a clue how to do something right want to make a video telling others how to do something.

RacinNdrummin
08-24-2011, 01:42 AM
Ouch! Why is he cutting the ring grooves? I've been rebuilding engines for over 45 years and never had to do that.....unless, of course, I was making a new piston.

Looks to be an ole 7.3 Powersmoke Ford. I'm sure there will be a few of them rebuilt in home garages and back alleys as time goes on, Even more 6.0 Powersmokes, though.

Its an IDI, not a powerstroke, Close enough though :D...

tdmidget
08-24-2011, 02:11 AM
I only watched the first video and I just watched #8 and :eek: geez, is this guy related to Airsmith? Maybe Airsmith taught him.

I retract my statement in my first post, this guy is DANGEROUS. It's amazing how many people that don't have a clue how to do something right want to make a video telling others how to do something.

Kinda makes you think twice about buying a used car, eh?
Maybe airsmith is his neighbor that's doing the teaching.

Willy
08-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Absolutely unbelievable!
I didn't watch the whole series...but I did see enough to know that I don't want him touching my wheelbarrow.;)

But in all fairness he did get it running (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXcSFpOx5h8&feature=related).

He said something about using it in his submarine.:confused:

Looking at one of his other videos (http://www.youtube.com/profile?annotation_id=annotation_192115&user=SubmarineBoat&feature=iv#p/a/u/1/zETTwopC8D0)I can see he is nothing if not consistent.:D

JCHannum
08-24-2011, 09:27 AM
I can't see what all the angst is about. The guy is not afraid to try something new, and certainly not afraid to have a laugh with himself.

Take a look at some of his other videos to see some of what he has accomplished.

MrSleepy
08-24-2011, 09:29 AM
You can laugh all you want...

but a great man once wrote (http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/MrSleepy123/airsmith.gif) "iam trying to be nice now please watch the video then admit your wronge"

Rob

vpt
08-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Absolutely unbelievable!
I didn't watch the whole series...but I did see enough to know that I don't want him touching my wheelbarrow.;)

But in all fairness he did get it running (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXcSFpOx5h8&feature=related).

Sounded like it had great compression while cranking (in at least two cylinders).

I do give his credit for tearing it down and getting it back together and running though, most people can't accomplish that.

Strange headers on that thing.

JCHannum
08-24-2011, 11:17 AM
The headers are watercooled for marine application. Here is the engine installed in the submarine. Not too shabby, perhaps some of you kibitzers would be willing to show some of your own work?

http://www.youtube.com/user/submarineboat#p/u/20/wsqhGFD9VSM

lynnl
08-24-2011, 11:49 AM
I certainly wasn't meaning to take him to task for doing it.
I kinda liked the guy, and his presentations. He did state up front, in so many words, that more expert instruction could be found elsewhere.

But his methods did bring to mind another individual I've seen here on the internet.

I couldn't catch it for sure, but in the last episode where he's trying to get it started, there was something he'd neglected to hook up. I thought I understood it to be the oil pump. (??) Anybody catch that?

saltmine
08-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Yep, it's amazing how somebody with very little experience will tackle something like this, and make an instructional video about it.....

Here are some quotes that just about cover the whole idea:

"The blind leading the blind"

"Those that can't....teach."

"A little bit of knowledge is dangerous."

"Like a caveman with a machinegun, until he runs out of bullets."

Excellent choice for a submarine engine, though. If nothing else, it will make terrific ballast.

Awww, you don't need no oil pump. The Curtiss OX-5 aircraft engine didn't have one.

vpt
08-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I understood it to be the oil pressure line going to a temporary gauge on the motor to meter pressure while tuning and break in.

I can't believe he started that thing up just sitting on the floor. Thats 1000 pounds bouncing around. "Watch your shirt by the alternator", lol.

H380
08-24-2011, 06:59 PM
"The most dangerous man in the world. Is the man who does not know he does not know.";)

Yep, it's amazing how somebody with very little experience will tackle something like this, and make an instructional video about it.....

Here are some quotes that just about cover the whole idea:

"The blind leading the blind"

"Those that can't....teach."

"A little bit of knowledge is dangerous."

"Like a caveman with a machinegun, until he runs out of bullets."

Excellent choice for a submarine engine, though. If nothing else, it will make terrific ballast.

Awww, you don't need no oil pump. The Curtiss OX-5 aircraft engine didn't have one.

lynnl
08-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Came across another rebuilding series today, from this guy. (A professional)
(homepage here)
http://realfixesrealfast.com/realfixesrealfast.com/Home.html

It was obvious he knows his stuff. Had videos showing lots of other diagnostics.

Don't know where he's located, but I sure wish it was close to here.
Would really be nice to have a vehicle repair place nearby that I had full confidence in. The only one I ever met whose technical expertise I trusted, had scruples and moral fiber that I didn't. :rolleyes:

macona
08-25-2011, 12:42 AM
I think he is airsmiths brother after all. He can't take any criticism without resorting to name calling too!

Not that I would EVER provoke anyone when they are doing something stupid.

;)

mike4
08-25-2011, 05:26 AM
[QUOTE=saltmine]Ouch! Why is he cutting the ring grooves? I've been rebuilding engines for over 45 years and never had to do that.....unless, of course, I was making a new piston.

Maybe he ordered and paid for the new rings before dismantling the engine .Then found that his stock replacements were different widths.

I did find that his method of setup in a very basic lathe without carriage lock was scary, to say the least, however he did manage to "widen " the ring grooves .

And it did start and run .
I did notice at the start he plainly said that he didnt know names of parts etc but if you watch the video with an open mind he does describe eveything in a way that untrained people would understand.

Its easy to criticise someones efforts ,correct or not .

We often forget that not everyone has been trained to the level that a few of us are or has the experience .

I wouldnt ask him to rebuild a motor which I depended on for my work , but he did manage to basically get it right without hurting himself of destroying any parts that I could see.

I give him high marks for having the "bearings" to tackle a project like this where many would have just shrugged their shoulders and said its too hard.

Michael

vpt
08-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't care what, the lathe video is just funny. Watching the dial indicator bounce around while he cutting one of the most critical parts of the motor.

macona
08-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah, thats what happens when you have the indicator mounted to the sheet metal catch pan.

The test of a rebuilt engine is not if it runs, but it if it runs 6 months from now.