PDA

View Full Version : 24 hour shop in a bag.

gundog
08-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Pretty cool English ingenuity.

http://www.wimp.com/concretetents/

the4thseal
08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
that is nice but it is not a new idea.

gundog
08-23-2011, 10:15 PM
that is nice but it is not a new idea.

I had never seen it before.

Mike

Edwin Dirnbeck
08-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the video , neat idea and I had not heard of this.Thanks again,Edwin

madwilliamflint
08-23-2011, 11:14 PM
I need....erm... that. somehow.

Chris S.
08-23-2011, 11:30 PM
It would make a great storage shed. I'll set it up at night so when the neighbors wake I can say "Hell, it wasn't there yesterday!". Fast growing fungi are readily accepted in S. Florida. Kinda like finding a Gator doing back strokes in your pool. :D

darryl
08-23-2011, 11:57 PM
The concept of a shape produced by fabric, then stiffening it with a medium of some kind is interesting. I've often thought about building a tent-like structure using canvas or some other fabric, then covering it on the outside with foam, then concreting over that. You have the option of combining inner air pressure with tension strands to create a shape that's either pleasing, functional, or both.

The tension strands could be steel cable or any of several kinds of rope. You might start with a tower of sorts, drape a mess of wires out over shorter posts, lay sheets of fabric, use air pressure to billow some of it out and upwards, and you might want some of it to sag between the wires. Depending on your prowess as a seamster or seamstress, you might even be able to leave the fabric look intact inside- maybe spray it with lacquer or some other moisture barrier. You are very free to design it how you want to, as long as you go by the guidelines of tensile structures. Meeting code might be another thing entirely, but I'm sure there is proof of the integrity of such structures.

Paul Alciatore
08-24-2011, 12:22 AM
It appears to be aimed at the military. I spent years in the Army/reserves and never saw anything like it. 24 hours setting time is too long and you can't take it down and bring it with you. There are many FASTER ways to get a shelter and many of them can be moved just as easily. Looks like a civilian company had a bright idea and wants to sell it.

As for south Florida, one can only imagine what the building inspector would say. I have delt with south Florida building inspectors and all I can say is you better be WAYYYYY out in the woods or swamps.

Chris S.
08-24-2011, 09:22 AM
As for south Florida, one can only imagine what the building inspector would say. I have delt with south Florida building inspectors and all I can say is you better be WAYYYYY out in the woods or swamps.

My neighbor wanted a second shed in the back yard. Palm Beach County Code Enforcement said "No way!". Here in the populated parts of the county we can't store our boats and trailers in the front of the house but the side or back of the house is OK. He now has a very large trailer (up on blocks) that he bought from a lawn service. :D

Weston Bye
08-24-2011, 09:48 AM
To be taken seriously, somebody could have airlifted a planeload of these to Haiti or some other disaster site. The package could have included a generator to run the inflating blower, wiring for minimal electricity afterward, and a water pump. An instant "tent city" with some durability beyond tarps and cardboard.

Instant good press, alas, probably cost too much.

Carld
08-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Weston, that would be a good use of them for sure. I would suspect that they are to expensive for something like short term but if the people had to stay there for several years it could be a good solution. It seems like the Haiti event is going to be more than ten years so it may work there. It sure would be better than what they had before the storm or now after the storm.

madwilliamflint
08-24-2011, 07:24 PM
That alone would make it worth it.

"I... I don't know what happened. It's the darndest thing."