PDA

View Full Version : OT: TNT Duty fees

Black_Moons
08-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi. Thought I would take the time to rant about TNT duty fees so nobody else gets stung.

$20 valued package (Under the limit that duty is supposed to be charged), Marked commerical sample (No duty)... Month after getting the package, TNT sends me a note saying I owe them $30.74 and if I don't pay, it will 'endanger my credit' with them.

A: Im pertty sure its illegal to give someone a credit line without there permission in canada. Can anyone confirm?
B: its illegal to charge duty on something.. thats not supposed to have duty charged.
C: Its insane to charge $30+ duty on a $20 declared value package, Most of that lame brokerage fees etc (Oh, and $3 tax ON the fees, More then the actual tax applyed to the package itself) (USPS/canada post charges $5+14% tax) UPS allready has had 2 class action lawsuits for similar bull.
D: they recently sent me a notice from a lawyer.. In new jersey. Who has absolutely NO authority here in canada.
Right now im about 40+ days due. After all, if its gonna take them a month to bill me, they can't be in a rush to get paid can they?

They also claim cheque is how they wanna be paid. Well thats great except I don't even have a cheque book and havent writen a cheque in.. 10+ years. It is the 20th century after all. (21st depending on who you ask)

Gonna call em up tomarrow on it.. though its tempting just to ignore it and see what they do. they have sent me about 6 due notices by now (Most with the same date?), Musta cost them something to send that.

Sure would be funny if they tryed to take me to coart. How much does a lawyer cost a company like that? $30 for awnsering the phone id suspect, And considering they have allready broken 2 laws.. (And don't seem to have a canadian lawyer), I don't see them winning jack squat.

3rd result for 'TNT duty' on google is 'TNT Express Canada scam' (Related to huge duty fees, billed long after package recived, in many cases, more duty then the package was valued at), And for the life of me I can't find any pages on google that break down the typical TNT fees, So theres no way I could even be informed about those fees.

So basicly they are guilty of illegaly giving a credit line without consent, illegaly charging duty on duty fee packages, Not allowing me any right to refuse the package based on the duty fees (USPS/Canada post does not hand over the package untill you pay, Like a sane company), And being stupid enough to expect a USA lawyer to have jurisidiction over a Canadian.

Oh, and they are rated F- by the BBB. http://www.bbb.org/kitchener/business-reviews/courier-service/tnt-express-canada-in-mississauga-on-1164238

Anyone else have any TNT duty storys?

deltaenterprizes
08-24-2011, 10:27 AM
who is TNT ?

Black Forest
08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
I am surprised they let you ship explosives. $20 dollars worth of TNT isn't going to blow much up I think.

Alistair Hosie
08-24-2011, 02:21 PM
TNT are a big multi national delivery /shipping company ,I am surprised you have not heard of them they operate here in the uk and are very good and quick too. Alistair

flylo
08-24-2011, 02:38 PM
As the song says"Proud to be an American". I have a friend who lives in Canada & deals with this kind crap all the time. But I know, you have health care.:rolleyes:

uncle pete
08-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah our health care, No point on even getting started on that subject.

Probably the majority of the smaller items in my shop has been ordered thru MSC or Enco. I'm well versed in the shipping rape were forced to endure. Small, low dollar shipments aren't cost effective. Now I always save up and make much larger orders. Even with shipping MSC and Enco beat any tool supplier in Canaduh by more than enough to make it worthwhile.

Black Moons, I'm no legal expert but I'd be very cautious if I were you. They hold all the cards and no doubt have lawyers on retainer. In todays world fair and right means nothing in the legal system. You might want to contact Canaduh customs about the duty charges. TNT are required to follow customs rules and regulations.

Pete

Black_Moons
08-24-2011, 03:59 PM
I suspect they do not have a canadian lawyer on retainer, Or they would of put his name ontop of the lawyer letter they sent me insted of the stupid new jersey lawyer.

lol, Just called them 'Im sorry my system is all frozen up, can't look at your invoice, Can I get your name and number and call you back" "No thanks, I'll call back later"

Worthless company (TNT express)

EddyCurr
08-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi. Thought I would take the time to rant about TNT duty fees so nobody
else gets stung.

$20 valued package (Under the limit that duty is supposed to be
charged), Marked commercial sample (No duty)...

B: its illegal to charge duty on something.. that's not supposed to
have duty charged.

C: Its insane to charge $30+ duty on a $20 declared value package,
most of that lame brokerage fees etc (Oh, and $3 tax ON the fees,Did TNT actually charge duty, or did they merely charge brokerage fees
for clearing the parcel through customs.

Perhaps post a breakdown of the amounts and descriptions.

I am fairly confident that had the shipment come by UPS or FedEx
ground service, similar brokerage & handling fees would have been
levied. No, this doesn't make it acceptable, but it just points out
that all the couriers are playing a similar game.

It won't brighten your day, but I have to comment about being upset
by the growing numbers of US vendors who choose to no longer sell
to Canadian customers in whole or in part because of the grief they
experience arising from reactions due to 'unexpected' service charges
from the couriers.

As you are already aware, the answer is to request shipment by
USPS/CanPost. If the vendor declines, then find another vendor,
suck up the courier's surcharges as a cost of conducting business
internationally or do without.

Just please don't pee in the pond that the rest of us still wish to
drink from.

Black_Moons
08-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Breakdown of fees:
$1.08 GST (Funny I thought we used HST in this Province?)
$1.41 Customs duty
$3.25 TNT services GST (Tax on further fees)
$10 Disbursement charge
$15 Canadian brokerage fee.

As you can see, they charged me more tax on thier services then they did on the entire package.

They also gave me no option to refuse the package, No advanced warning apon recite of the package, And AFAIK, illegaly extended me a line of credit I did'nt authorize.

EddyCurr
08-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Breakdown of fees:
$1.08 GST (Funny I thought we used HST in this Province?)
$1.41 Customs duty
$3.25 TNT services GST (Tax on further fees)
$10 Disbursement charge
$15 Canadian brokerage fee.

As you can see, they charged me more tax on thier services then they did
on the entire package.

They also gave me no option to refuse the package, No advanced warning
upon receipt of the package, And AFAIK, illegally extended me a line of credit
I didn't authorize.If we look at this as though it had travelled hypothetically via USPS/CanPost.

Assuming CanPost were screening to rule, then
There would still be the 5% GST on the $20 declared value ($1.08)
They could exercise their discretion to ignore the 'Commercial Sample'
and charge applicable duty ($1.41)
They would charge their flat brokerage fee ($5.00)
And add HST ($0.65)For a total of $8.14 due on arrival.

As I see it, the principal difference is that CanPost is either much more
efficient than private industry at clearing goods (hence the lower brokerage
fee: $5 vs $25), or else they are subsidizing the cost of this service to
Canadians.

As for extending a line of credit, my expectation is that the convention
these days is that if a customer has agreed to have goods shipped to
him by a given carrier, then he tacitly extends Power-of-Attorney to
the carrier for the purposes of acting as the customer's agent in
clearing that shipment through customs.

For one-time clients, this greatly smooths the process of crossing the
border. In the old days, if you didn't already have a previously existing
account with the carrier that specified a name for the broker you wanted
to handle the process, then someone from the carrier had to call you to
find out whether you had a broker or if you intended to clear the shipment
yourself and so on. Clearing items for an individual could be a drawn out
process - and relatively expensive, too, if you elected to have a Customs
Broker do the work.

In earlier times, UPS used to call me to ask whether I had a broker preference
or whether I wanted them to clear the goods. How things have changed
since then ...

Black_Moons
08-24-2011, 06:46 PM
And I would'nt mind paying $8. $30 is crazy however.

Asked my bank today, and they basicly said that without my permission/consent (And reading the terms and conditions..) they are definately NOT allowed to authorize me a line of credit.

914Wilhelm
08-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Just pretend you bought off eBay and send back an empty box!:D

Black_Moons
08-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Just pretend you bought off eBay and send back an empty box!:D

I have actualy thought of that. Just tell them I refuse to pay thier duty and they can come pick up and return the package. :rolleyes: (Telling the seller no refund needed).

Well, Not an empty box. Id saw some 2x4 up to put in there. Get the weight right yaknow.

achtanelion
08-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Just tell them that you'll broker the package yourself. They MUST allow you to broker the package yourself if you want to. If they say it's too late and the package is already delivered, ask them whether they'd prefer to explain their screwup to a judge, or just go to hell.

If they file ANY court papers immediately file a motion to have the venue changed to your local courthouse. There's just about no chance a change of venue would be denied, and that would add the cost of either shipping a lawyer to your location, or retaining one in your location. Either option adds a significant cost to them.

If they just keep sending legalish paperwork from their jersey slimeball, tell them to look up barratry and either file or f&#% off.

All you usually have to do is let them know that it'll cost more to push it than they could possibly recoup.

Of course, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I do have a lot of experience dealing with slimy gits like this though.

Steelmaster
08-24-2011, 08:47 PM
This is exactly the same stunt that UPS gets up to here in Australia, didn't know that TNT also got up to this highway robbery.

When a seller insists on shipping via UPS, I politely decline and take my business elsewhere. Now I know to do the same if TNT is involved.

Just as an aside, TNT stands for Thomas Nationwide Transport and is a company that started in Australia and is still listed on the ASX and has its' headquarters here.

From memory they are pretty big in some of the European countries, eg the Netherlands.

Weston Bye
08-24-2011, 08:57 PM
...and if I don't pay, it will 'endanger my credit' with them.

Yeah? Big deal. Doesn't sound like you will be dealing with them much in the future. Just make sure that they can't endanger your credit with anyone else. Keep copies of your documents, both received and sent.

macona
08-24-2011, 09:51 PM
FedEx is trying to get money out of me. I bought a filter wheel for my telescope from a guy in Canada. The wheel was originally made in the US. They even had the documentation that showed this. And all this after they lost the package, sent me someones suitcase and basically told its my problem now.

darryl
08-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Somebody explain to me what NAFTA is all about again- seems to me Free Trade is part of it- doesn't seem to be working right:(

I'm a Canadian, you're an American. We both have our dollars, and the value is pretty close to equal most of the time. I want a product you make, I buy it from you in the equivalent value of your dollar. I pay shipping fees, I get the thing in my hands. Great.

You want a product from me, you pay my dollar value for it, the shipping fees, and you get it in your hands. Great.

I pay a tax to my country for the privilege of spending my own money and having a product come into my possession- you pay a tax to your country for the same 'privilege'.

Let's say I find this thing I want in Canada, maybe on the east coast (I'm on the west coast). It's going to cost to ship it- probably more than it would if I got it from Seattle or somewhere much closer. But my final bill is going to be a lot less, I'll get the product in a reasonable time, and I won't have all this BS sucking money out of me in between. None of that in-between BS has any validity in my transaction- it's a ripoff buried in bureaucracy and 'invented' legalities.

I can't even go to the states anymore unless I pay a fee to get some identity card. In this day and age of electronics, I can quickly be identified far beyond what used to be the case with a drivers licence and birth certificate, etc- which used to be all that was required. This new 'improved' identity card- what qualifies me to get it- my drivers licence and birth certificate! I already have those, and like I said in this day and age a customs official can tell me where and when I last used my credit card, what all my vehicles are, every brush I've ever had with the law including minor things such as parking tickets, where I went to school, and who my friends and family are. And all this 'security' stuff- this card, that card, what a joke. What a croc- and we collectively (our governments) knuckled under to some terrorists from another land to end up putting us in this particular boat. Yeah, we let foreigners screw up our domestic affairs- oh yeah, solid countries we live in, eh, huh-

Why can't we behave like brothers- oh, we on this board seem to be able to- and that's people from all over the world. I don't know what it's like for the hundreds of countries in the east and europe, but with all those borders- if they had the trade problems we have between our two countries, they would have bloodied their entire populaces into compost by now. I just have to shake my head and find a way to distract myself.

Bit of a rant, perhaps- ok, I'm mostly alright again.

.RC.
08-24-2011, 11:44 PM
This is exactly the same stunt that UPS gets up to here in Australia, didn't know that TNT also got up to this highway robbery.

That explains their stupid fees....

I got an online quote from New York to Au through UPS weighing 2 pounds and measuring 2" X 2" X 5" and they wanted $100 or something...

USPS is something like $13 for a box that size...

wierdscience
08-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Darryl,the problem is north of the boarder IMHO.I've never had to pay a dime over shipping for anything from Canada.The US government has no problem with me buying from Canada,that's why no penalties or tarriffs.

Maybe you should ask your government why they don't want you buying from the US.Your right,it should be a two way street,but for some reason they have a road block setup.Maybe fees and taxes or maybe protectionism.

It could all be worse,you could be in Mexico.

EddyCurr
08-25-2011, 01:02 AM
NAFTA - since there was a Duty, my guess is that the item was likely imported
into the US from a third country. Canada has likely determined that goods of
that class/kind from that third country are subject to a tariff.

If I imported a Brickbat from Elbonia into Canada and it happened that the
US had decided to levy a tariff against Elbonian Brickbats in response to
lobbyists working on behalf of the Appalachian Brickbat cottage industry,
then weirdscience would pay a Duty on any Elbonian Brickbats he purchased
from me.

In any event, the duty Black_Moons paid is a Red Herring. As I pointed out
earlier, the majority of his cost arose from a service fee that a for-profit
company, working within the capitalist free-market framework, charged for
brokering the clearance of his parcel.

We're all in favour of capitalism and free markets, right ?

dp
08-25-2011, 01:35 AM
We're all in favour of capitalism and free markets, right ?

Apparently, yes, but most don't want them to actually make any money which is why the misguided idea of levying a hefty tax penalty on businesses remains so popular. :)

EddyCurr
08-25-2011, 01:41 AM
Edited to remove OT banter

uncle pete
08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
I don't belieave Black Moons mentioned exactly what the product was. Just for general information to the Canadian members here. Machine tools and accesories can be brought into Canaduh duty free. I once made a trip down to Bellingham Washington for a fairly large order from Grizzly and crossed back at Sumas B.C. The young woman at Canaduh customs charged me duty. I politely told her that duty was not to be charged or owed on the items I was bringing across. She informed me I was wrong. I then explained less politely that she was wrong and there was no goddamn way I was paying the Canadian government one single cent of duty. The arguement got more and more heated till I demanded to see her supervisor. He "corrected" her thinking. I've always wondered just what she added to my file because since then it seems to be a bit more problematic when crossing back into Canaduh. Some days even when you win with the government you still lose.

I have brokered a few shipments into Canaduh and it's not too bad for the paperwork. But only if the shipment is large enough or with enough value to justify it.

UPS,FED EX, TNT manage to rip us off because we have no way of protesting. Their brokerage fees are a far overpriced bad joke. Canaduh Customs throw a wall of paperwork requirements up for business's shipping into Canaduh. There's more and more companies every day refusing to ship to Canaduh just for those reasons. So the next time you want to order something and find out they don't ship to Canaduh you now know why. At one time I drove a truck for a living and could tell some real horror storys about our so called free trade agreements.

Pete

Black_Moons
08-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Discription on the package is "Pen Parts" If thats any help pete. (Shiping from austrailia to canada)

uncle pete
08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Pen Parts? Jease how do the reps. at TNT sleep at night. That should have just blown thru the system. I don't blame you for being pissed.

Pete

Black_Moons
08-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Pen Parts? Jease how do the reps. at TNT sleep at night. That should have just blown thru the system. I don't blame you for being pissed.

Pete

So, that should of qualifyed for no duty as well?

uncle pete
08-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Price wise as you've already said it should have. I'd still contact Canaduh customs, Get a ruling from them by email, Forward that to TNT and ask them just what the hell is going on. Also mention the value of the shipment and ask em just how they can justify the ammout owed on the bill. LOL, I'd also include a link to this thread. Their not looking too good as a company to do business with. Shame them into doing the right thing.

Pete

Black_Moons
08-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Hi, I recently was charged duty on a package from australia by a company known as TNT
The package was valued $20, Labelled 'Commerical sample' and had a description of 'Pen parts'
Should duty of been applied to this package? I have already gotten one package from the same company, same value, same description before without duty, So I find it odd duty was applyed to this package.
They charged me $30.74 duty (More then the package was worth) including their outrageous brokerage fee ($15) and $10 disbursement charge and $3.25 tax on those fees (More then the duty they applied to the package)
I estimate canada post would of charged me: 12% of $20 = $2.40 + $5 handling, or $7.40 total.

They also gave me no option to refuse the package based on the duties I would of had to pay, as they billed me 3 weeks afterwards and there was no mention of duties when delivered, and no paperwork of duties owed when delivered

I'll did some reading and found TNT to have already been charged in the UK of not submitting duty to 'HM Revenue and Customs' (UK duty collectors?)... an estimated $48,000,000 worth.

Also it was very odd that I received this bill 3 weeks after getting the package. I thought it was illegal in canada to extend a credit line to someone without their consent.

E-mail sent to contact@cbsa.gc.ca , I wonder what thier reply will be.

Aw nuts, I forgot to include the news story url: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/4954212/Royal-Mail-bid-tax-scam.html <- Man, And I thought they where ripping ME off.

MaxHeadRoom
08-25-2011, 05:32 PM
1/ Brokerage is nothing to do with duty, brokerage can be charged regardless.
I have been Importing/exporting for around 20yrs and clear my own, probabally because fortunately I have a CBSA office in town.
If you want to avoid possible duty, go on the Can or (US) Border Agency site and look up the 10 digit commodity code that fits the item, get the shipper to mark it plainly on the commercial invoice.
The only form is the B3 (fillable on the site) and the only inconvenience is the trip to the CBSA office.
IF you do get a shipment that you feel the broker has made a mistake and charged you a chunk of duty, you have recourse by filling in a B3 reversal (I forget the form number) but it is on the site.
You will need a copy of the original B3 from the freight Co.
Every time I go to the CBSA there is some non-commercial Joe clearing his own, usually with the help of an agent.
Max.

Black_Moons
08-25-2011, 05:42 PM
If you want to avoid possible duty, go on the Can or (US) Border Agency site and look up the 10 digit commodity code that fits the item, get the shipper to mark it plainly on the commercial invoice.

The only form is the B3 (fillable on the site) and the only inconvenience is the trip to the CBA office.
IF you do get a shipment that you feel the broker has made a mistake and charged you a chunk of duty, you have recourse by filling in a B3 reversal (I forget the form number) but it is on the site.
You will need a copy of the original B3 from the freight Co.
Max.

Is this the list of commodity codes? I have no friggen clue what 'pen parts' would fall under.. http://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/report-rapports/list_liste/handbook-manuel/contents_contenu.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

Whats a 'CBA' office?
'cba office locator' into google is not helping.

MaxHeadRoom
08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Sorry should be CBSA Canada Border Services Agency.
Here is the Tarriffs
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2011/01-99/01-99-t2011-02-eng.pdf
If it is foreign in origin, make sure you pick a number that falls within MFN (Most Favoured Nation) category and 0% duty.
BC lists 28 CBSA offices, there is a chance there is one near you?
Max.

Black_Moons
08-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Sorry should be CBSA Canada Border Services Agency.
Here is the Tarriffs
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2011/01-99/01-99-t2011-02-eng.pdf
If it is foreign in origin, make sure you pick a number that falls within MFN (Most Favoured Nation) category and 0% duty.
BC lists 28 CBSA offices, there is a chance there is one near you?
Max.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/contact/listing/indexpages/index-e.html
How would I know if one is near me? -_- they give the names of the shop its located in insted of.. where its located?

Does '9608.99.10 00 - - -Parts other than refills, for use in the manufacture of ball point pens ' Sound good? listed as:
'Free CCCT, LDCT, GPT, UST, MT, MUST, CIAT, CT, CRT, IT, NT, SLT, PT, COLT: Free'

Its exactly what they are... Theres another listing for refills used in the manufacturer of ball point pens that has the same listing (though there is tax on refills for non manufactured pens)

MaxHeadRoom
08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes, a search of the PDF using 'pens' showed Chapter 96!
If you are in Van, maybe phone the CBSA at the Van airport?
Do you have the 311 inquiry service there that may help?
Max.

Black_Moons
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Yes, a search of the PDF using 'pens' showed Chapter 96!
If you are in Van, maybe phone the CBSA at the Van airport?
Do you have the 311 inquiry service there that may help?
Max.

Not in van. Further east.
311? Not sure..

MaxHeadRoom
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Its exactly what they are... Theres another listing for refills used in the manufacturer of ball point pens that has the same listing (though there is tax on refills for non manufactured pens)

This is why it pays to look up the C.C. for e.g. an Engine lathe may not have duty, where a lathe for turning automotive rotors does!!
Max.

MaxHeadRoom
08-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Supposedly talk direct with an agent 1-800-461-9999 normal office hrs.
Max.

Black_Moons
08-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Finaly did refund my duty fees after I e-mailed them with all the info I gathered.

'I will credit the invoice from your account, but as info. any shipment valued over $20 CDN is subject to duties. Your shipment was valued at $20.15 - I know - seems a bit ridiculous, but it's the law and we do follow it.

We do not scam anyone, we do not do cash on delivery, our business is delivering packages and we feel that is our priority. We have always invoiced after the delivery of the package. We apologize for the inconvience. '

uncle pete
08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
B.S., Totall B.S. I know for a fact that machine tools and accesories are duty free no matter what the value is. No that's not anything to do with your shipment but their point about orders over $20 involves duty is WRONG!!!! Typical of a big business that could care less about a customer. There's other items other than machine tools that are duty free also.

Pete

Black_Moons
08-26-2011, 03:37 PM
B.S., Totall B.S. I know for a fact that machine tools and accesories are duty free no matter what the value is. No that's not anything to do with your shipment but their point about orders over $20 involves duty is WRONG!!!! Typical of a big business that could care less about a customer. There's other items other than machine tools that are duty free also.

Pete

Well as I said, I checked on the pen code and it said duty free as well.

MaxHeadRoom
08-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Finaly did refund my duty fees after I e-mailed them with all the info I gathered.

'I will credit the invoice from your account, but as info. any shipment valued over $20 CDN is subject to duties. Your shipment was valued at $20.15 - I know - seems a bit ridiculous, but it's the law and we do follow it.

'

If that were me I would ask for a copy of the B3, because if they paid any duty on your behalf, they are duty bound to issue a B3 to Customs.
I would tell them I need the copy in order to claw back the overpaid duty from C.C.
Call their bluff.
Max.

Black_Moons
08-26-2011, 03:45 PM
If that were me I would ask for a copy of the B3, because if they paid any duty on your behalf, they are duty bound to issue a B3 to Customs.
I would tell them I need the copy in order to claw back the overpaid duty from C.C.
Call their bluff.
Max.

What overpaid duty? I never paid them a cent.

uncle pete
08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
So in other words TNT put's a blanket duty charge on no matter what the Canadian customs rules and regulations say. And as a international shipper they are required to follow? I wonder just how many other people are being ripped off by them. Your shipping issues wern't a totall loss tho as it's at least brought it to the attention of a lot of members here that might get burned in the future.

Pete

MaxHeadRoom
08-26-2011, 03:56 PM
I know for a fact that machine tools and accesories are duty free no matter what the value is. No that's not anything to do with your shipment but their point about orders over $20 involves duty is WRONG!!!!
Pete

The difference can come in as to the country of origin.
For e.g. I may buy a machine part from Mitsubishi in Chicago, but if they list the (COO), Country of origin as Japan, it may have a duty anywhere from 0% to 8% although they are a MFN, most favoured nation.
This is why it pays to select the 'right' Comm Code.
NAFTA does not apply in this case.
Max.

Black_Moons
08-26-2011, 03:59 PM
The difference can come in as to the country of origin.
For e.g. I may buy a machine part from Mitsubishi in Chicago, but if they list the (COO), Country of origin as Japan, it may have a duty anywhere from 0% to 8% although they are a MFN, most favoured nation.
This is why it pays to select the 'right' Comm Code.
NAFTA does not apply in this case.
Max.

No country of origin listed on the invoice/packing slip. Any idea where the list of COO vs dutys are?

uncle pete
08-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Max,
I have no doubt your right but that's news to me as I've yet to pay duty on anything I've imported into Canaduh that would fall under the machine tools and accessories classification.

Pete

Black_Moons
08-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Apparently unassembled materials not to be resold in unassembled states don't require COO markings.

MaxHeadRoom
08-26-2011, 04:45 PM
No country of origin listed on the invoice/packing slip. Any idea where the list of COO vs dutys are?

All in the Tariff list, it also pays to get the booklet for filling in a B3, it may be downloadable and shows the MFN list.

Max,
I have no doubt your right but that's news to me as I've yet to pay duty on anything I've imported into Canaduh that would fall under the machine tools and accessories classification.

Pete

Here is the way I figure it works based on experience for either CanPost or UPS Fedex whoever,
All the 1000's of goods being imported are subject to either/or inspection and/or duties.
When UPS,et al bring in all these goods where no broker is specified, the invoices, if there is one, ends up on a pile on the desk of a few clerks in Moncton NB who's duty it is to decide what the Comm # is and if it is liable for duty.
How long would one suppose they spend perusing the Tariff list for the most appropriate Com # ?
Their guess is likely based on any vague description on a invoice etc.
I know for a fact that CBSA has now reduced the centres responsible for all areas for CanPost import clearing, considering all the increase in cross border shopping, via the likes of Amazon and Ebay, how long do inspectors spend on ascertaining a correct Com #?
Tip. Get the ebay seller to include a copy of the sale in the shipment, it saves a call from CBSA.
Max.