PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify this fly cutter...

rakort
08-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Got this in a box of parts with my new mill, but can't really see in my head how this would be used. Any thoughts? I didn't measure it, but the ID looks to be a straight bore.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6080/6078733458_462a85a2b1_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6192/6078191471_46a4502441_z.jpg

Rakort

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12814289@N08/

RussZHC
08-25-2011, 03:26 AM
A possible solution to

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=49546

Mandrel or shaft down the middle (the counter bore/sink on the backside of the "disc" would allow for fastening in a clamping method) whole works spun/rotated for the inside of a bore.
It looks like the point where each one of those fastening bolts for the "fingers" is a bit of a slot allowing for some slight adjustment.

Above is definitely a guess, going strictly by the cutting edge of the inserts.
To me those fingers could be adjusted so as to be exactly the same diameters and the whole thing could be moved up and down (or side to side if in a horizontal position) like one does with a hone OR those fingers could be adjusted to slightly different diameters to allow for an enlarging of an existing bore.
Edit: suspect if you added another four fingers, either the cutting could go more quickly or the accuracy of the bore would improve (or there maybe less chatter since more surface area should mean a bit more stability)
Edit # 2: for me a good enough idea to copy

Edit # 3: sorry, I suppose one could also use it "on edge" and mill a rabbet (sp?) or, not knowing clearances, a fairly wide and shallow slot ?

rakort
08-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Yes the individual pieces holding the inserts are slotted SLIGHTLY and have a small set screw in the end (not visible in picture) to help control the adjustment / position. It is a crude adjustment and best.

It looks like the point where each one of those fastening bolts for the "fingers" is a bit of a slot allowing for some slight adjustment.

KiddZimaHater
08-25-2011, 08:54 AM
My guess would be, a homemade boring head and/or counterbore.
There doesn't seem to be much clearance behind those inserts, so it may have been used to just skim a bore?
Or, as RussZHC said, it might have been used to side-mill a shallow groove?
Strange critters, them home-made gizmos.:confused:

A.K. Boomer
08-25-2011, 10:01 AM
I would not think it would be used for boring - it would be chatter city and also near impossible to set up all the cutters accurately.

Its very well built so I also would not label it a "home brew" only.

Whatever it was used for last looks like it was not critical to have the cutters adjusted spot on due to the fact that some are at opposite ends of their slots:confused:

still could be used for flycutting certain sized bar stock "as is" but so limited it speaks of being either very specialized or else severely lacking foresight.

If I had that thing laying around my shop I would mill cutter slots opposite side, build a center mount and flip it over and use it as a very stable flycutter...

Im puzzled about one thing --- what are those little vertical bolt holes or allen heads doing in the cutter holder?
Are they some kind of height adjustment?

Now that im looking at it I don't believe its the most rigid setup for the cutters.

Toolguy
08-25-2011, 12:27 PM
My guess would be a flycutter for a big horzontal mill like a Cincinnati or Milwaukee. It would be a quick way to square up large pieces. Do the 1st side, put that side on the table, do the next side, roll it again, etc.

davidwdyer
08-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Maybe it fits right over the spindle of the mill and then the draw bar snugs up a piece you don't have against it to secure it.

dockterj
08-25-2011, 01:15 PM
it's obvious - it's for finishing the underside edge of something spaced off the table :D

RussZHC
08-25-2011, 05:55 PM
rakort: apologies if this post partially hijacks this thread...does anyone think it is horribly wrong if one were to use a lathe backplate with cutters in a similar position as a fly cutter?
Just asking as on second look the general shape sure reminds me of that...

rakort
08-25-2011, 10:01 PM
LOL :D

Rakort

it's obvious - it's for finishing the underside edge of something spaced off the table :D

rakort
08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Ya the back plate thing crossed my mind

rakort: apologies if this post partially hijacks this thread...does anyone think it is horribly wrong if one were to use a lathe backplate with cutters in a similar position as a fly cutter?
Just asking as on second look the general shape sure reminds me of that...

lazlo
08-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Its very well built so I also would not label it a "home brew" only.

It looks like someone modified a chuck backplate blank.

There's no drive key, so the through-hole has to fit on an arbor sleeve, the quill or a horizontal overarm.

How big is the hole?