PDA

View Full Version : E-bay shipping experience -warning

Abner
08-25-2011, 09:18 AM
I just purchased an item from e-bay using 'Free Shipping'. I was offered expedited shipping for an extra $5.56 on a $11.00 item. As I'm too much of a tight wad, I figured I would wait.

I made my purchase 8-22 and received my package of 8-24 via 'Free Shipping', but the estimated deliver date posted was 9-7 to 9-20.

I find this very suspicious. I suspect "expedited shipping" is just another source of revenue.

JoeLee
08-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Ebay has run out of ideas for get rich quick scams!

JL.......................

Highpower
08-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I've found the same thing buying from Amazon as well. :rolleyes:

PTSideshow
08-25-2011, 09:44 AM
If it was shipped by US Postal Service, first class mail all goes by air across great distances of the country. Since they no longer have the postal railway service. and longer have air mail in the US. some parcels may go by rail but it is the back of trailers.
The number of days they use to estimate the shipping time is the earliest longest date worse case scenario. So when it gets there faster everybody is happy. This is the standard info format that shippers, with the USPS are given and suggested to use.

I can't remember what the cut off distance for air shipping of first class mail is.
Expedite, would be their overnight or next day kind if thing.:D

lakeside53
08-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Nothing suspicious, and just an option the seller checked. As has already been pointed yout, first class USPS is really quick anyhow. If the free was UPS ground, then that can take 8-10 days in some cases.

If it doesn't say, just ask the seller what it means. Usually the shipping tab for expedited will will say 'USPS priority flat rate box"" or "UPS second day", or whatever.

There something much more painful available (not Ebay). I had a camera shipped by "UPS Sure Post". HUH? It comes via UPS by truck from the East Coast to Seattle, THEN they hand it off to USPS for local delivery. Arrived in Seattle Monday. Transferred to USPS on Monday. USPS still hasn't delivered, and has a worthess tracking system. PITA - Normally it would be on the UPS local truck Monday and delivered same day.

macona
08-25-2011, 12:18 PM
My guess is the expedited means they have to get it shipped off in the next day vs the normal few days.

Stuart Br
08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
We see the same here in the UK, most of the mainstream couriers now have such an efficient network, it makes me wonder whether it is economic to manage multiple tiers of service. I get the the premium "before 10:00" which have to be treated separately. But if your network is geared up for next business day, it must cost a lot to sort and manage the three business day stuff differently. Amazon UK(and their courier) is a classic for this. Free 3-5 day service or 5.95 GBP NBD. If I NEED stuff next day, I will pay it, but the free deliveries usually arrive within two days.

psomero
08-25-2011, 12:58 PM
I just purchased an item from e-bay using 'Free Shipping'. I was offered expedited shipping for an extra $5.56 on a $11.00 item. As I'm too much of a tight wad, I figured I would wait.

I made my purchase 8-22 and received my package of 8-24 via 'Free Shipping', but the estimated deliver date posted was 9-7 to 9-20.

I find this very suspicious. I suspect "expedited shipping" is just another source of revenue.

I used to ship a lot of stuff at my old job. USPS first class mail for parcels under 13 oz used to be around $1.75-2.50. Priority mail for an identical item would be $4.39. Both classes of shipping would arrive in the same amount of time.

Shipping is a huge profit maker. It's amazing how many people want stuff NOW and are willing to pay an extra $3 to avoid delay. On many items, sellers probably don't even break even on the item price, but will stand to make a few bucks on shipping. When you're moving hundreds of items a month, it really adds up and makes it worthwhile.

CCWKen
08-25-2011, 04:14 PM
I find there's only two places I can place an order on Monday or Tuesday and get it the same week. Usually in three days. That's McMaster-Carr and Newegg. Everything else takes six business days. :rolleyes:

Black_Moons
08-25-2011, 04:30 PM
I find there's only two places I can place an order on Monday or Tuesday and get it the same week. Usually in three days. That's McMaster-Carr and Newegg. Everything else takes six business days. :rolleyes:

I have gotten stuff from digikey the next morning at noon when I ordered at like 4pm, using thier standard cheapo shipping.

Amazing considering with littarly hundreds of thousands of parts, I would'nt be able to even find the parts for my order by 4pm the next day if they let me into the warehouse.

I joke that they have a time machine, And the only reason it takes till next day is because they don't want to violate the time continum.

Scottike
08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
I always understood "Expedited Shipping" to mean that your order was placed at the head of the line to be pulled & boxed by the wharehouse so that it was ready for the next available pickup by the carrier. Doesn't mean much if things are slow in the shipping dept., but if theyr'e busy it helps.

macona
08-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Back in the day we ordered a ethernet card for my friends mac from one of the catalog companies, think MacZone. Placed the order at about 2 am and it was there on the door step by 10am.

Sportandmiah
08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Nothing suspicious but merely the seller telling you it might not be shipped out for awhile.

Video Man
08-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Another ebay-shipping-related scam to watch out for: inflated shipping prices set by the seller. I almost bid on a gadget I really wanted that was offered at a good price...until I noticed he wanted $164 to ship a 12-pound item via UPS, simple domestic shipping, nothing fancy or international....questioned him on it, he said 'it must have been an accident' but he never fixed it...and I never bought...

Black_Moons
08-26-2011, 04:32 AM
Another ebay-shipping-related scam to watch out for: inflated shipping prices set by the seller. I almost bid on a gadget I really wanted that was offered at a good price...until I noticed he wanted $164 to ship a 12-pound item via UPS, simple domestic shipping, nothing fancy or international....questioned him on it, he said 'it must have been an accident' but he never fixed it...and I never bought...

You can report them for that, its a scam to avoid ebay fees, So they actualy will care about it. :P

bobbyjim
08-26-2011, 09:11 AM
You can report them for that, its a scam to avoid ebay fees, So they actualy will care about it. :P

Ebay changed there fee structure awhile back. Shipping is included in there fee when an item is sold. Can't beat the system anymore.

gary350
08-27-2011, 01:47 PM
I just received another message from ebay. It says, If a seller sells an item and the buyer does not pay then it counts against the seller the same as listing an auction and no one bids. I have no control over Dead Beat Buyers so this rule is not fair.

I got this message too. I am now a TOP SELLER because I have 4250 feedbacks. Top sellers get 20% discount on selling fees. Hum....

JoeLee
08-27-2011, 02:39 PM
I just received another message from ebay. It says, If a seller sells an item and the buyer does not pay then it counts against the seller the same as listing an auction and no one bids. I have no control over Dead Beat Buyers so this rule is not fair.

I got this message too. I am now a TOP SELLER because I have 4250 feedbacks. Top sellers get 20% discount on selling fees. Hum....

How can it count against the seller if a buyer does not complete the transaction.

JL...............