PDA

View Full Version : 38'-44' 12" Craftsman Deluxe Lathe

jnicita
08-25-2011, 03:25 PM
I have been working on getting a old lathe rebuilt. Its actually in pretty good condition, the rebuilding is mostly replacing missing parts (change gears for instance).

Anyways, I have been searching high and low for some specific help. My bull gear lock pin, once pulled out, wont push back in. My bull gear is much different than the one shown here -> http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/atlas/spindle/spindle.html

I understand that the bull gear pin has a ball and a spring that pushes the ball up to provide resistance to the pin, but on most models, 180 opposite the pin, there is a set screw to pull that allows you to remove the pin/ball. My bull gear has no access, there are also NO set screws on the face of the gear, the only set screw is down on its right side that locks it to the shaft, there are no setscrews or holes on the gear face like in the diagram. I can get some space between the pulley and the bull gear, and see a access hole right above the pin on the bull gear that I can see said ball or other material has fallen into, that is now pushed into the way of the pin going in, pushing on the pin, I can see it hit said object blocking it, I can use a small rod and push the object down into the recess, I've tried using a small pin and pushing it down and trying to push the pin in, but it still wont go in.

Im pretty much sure I need to pull the shaft and take it all apart, as there is no access to this area while the gear is mounted. The diagrams in the link above must be for a newer atlas/craftsman 12", please let me know if you can help. I'm going to try to use the link as a means to pull my spindle, but with all the minor differences I want to ask. The deluxe version has real bearings instead of babit's like most of the era. I cant find a park number anywhere or I would give it, but its exactly like ones located here -> http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page10.html

Thank you in advance.

-John

uncle pete
08-25-2011, 06:15 PM
John,
I can't help you with your question as I know nothing about the Atlas lathes. But I can help you find who does know. Try the Atlas Yahoo group. It requires you to join but they could certainly answer your question. Plus there's a huge ammount of information about your lathe on that site too.

Pete

JCHannum
08-25-2011, 06:18 PM
The instructions in the first link are for the 6" Atlas lathe which is different than the 10" Atlas & 12" Craftsman machines.

There is no set screw for the lock pin on these machines, the setscrew for retaining the bull gear is on the hub of the gear. Instructions for dismantling the spindle on these machines is here;

http://www.atlas-press.com/tb_12bg.htm

jnicita
08-25-2011, 06:32 PM
The instructions in the first link are for the 6" Atlas lathe which is different than the 10" Atlas & 12" Craftsman machines.

There is no set screw for the lock pin on these machines, the setscrew for retaining the bull gear is on the hub of the gear. Instructions for dismantling the spindle on these machines is here;

http://www.atlas-press.com/tb_12bg.htm

Thanks for the link. I see it all now, I already joined the yahoo group, the info is good, but the 1990's BBS layout of yahoo groups is about as bad as it gets. Trying to navigate through messages and read replies just sux. I've posted 4 or 5 times with no replies, my messages drop into a black hole. 3 hours later on this forum, some useful information. Thanks in advance, maybe someone makes a plugin or interface for looking at yahoo groups, something that brings it into the 21st century.

Thanks again

John

jnicita
08-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Another question, there are 2 allen head set screws in the pulley and gear, these are just for oil and are not meant to be snugged down. Then there is a slotted screwdriver head set-screw that locks the bull gear in place, and a slotted screwdriver head set screw on the outside gear near on the outside left, that drives the carriage/change gears. The outside gear has a smaller set screw with a fitting that drops into the hole and pushes against the shaft which is threaded to protect it. Does the bull gear have such a protector? I ask because the setscrew head is thicker than the threaded part, so the screw only tightens down until the head hits the bull gear, however, the entire length of the set screw is equal to the depth of the hole. Its the wrong set screw or something was supposed to go into the hole and be pushed down into the shaft, There is no way to get it tight enough. Can someone tell me what this part is called? so I can see if I can order it, or better yet, point me to a link for said setscrew so I can buy them?

Thanks.

jnicita
08-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your help, got a PM with a link to a parts diagram I can actually read.

-John