PDA

View Full Version : Our simulator is done.

sid pileski
08-25-2011, 05:24 PM
If you recall, a while back I had posted about building a flight simulator for my daughter's Civil Air Patrol group. Well its done. And for he next 12 days it will be at the New York State fair. The CAP is in the tent with the 174 Air National Guard. So If you happen to be going, look them up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/sids32/simulator/DSC_0434.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/sids32/simulator/DSC_0443.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/sids32/simulator/DSC_0447.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/sids32/simulator/DSC_0445.jpg

mototed
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
That's very nice!
I didn't see the original thread. Was that design off the top of your head?
That looks like a lot of fun.
Ted

Black_Moons
08-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Ah nifty, just hacking the controls to move the whole rig. Gives a nice momentium to the system too..

Reminds me of playing MS flight sim with a nice force feedback joystick. Man, with the glider, you could sware you had pushrods comming outta the joystick going to huge control surfaces.

Too bad the rest of that sim sucked :)

daryl bane
08-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Very nice. That is alot closer to any airplane that I saw when I was in the CAP. :)

sid pileski
08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
The Idea is not mine, but the design is. I modeled the basic frames out in ProE
and cut and machined from there. It is all TIG welded (1000 lbs of argon)
It works quite well mechanically, I got a report this afternoon that the computer's video card bit the dust!
Eventually the plan is to have three screens. We have the three but not the computer for them. We'll have to save up the weekly dues I guess.
Thanks for the comments!

Sid

Evan
08-25-2011, 07:10 PM
That sure looks nice. All you need now is three more screens, one below for the panel and one on each side.

Hmm, just noticed that's in the plan...

sid pileski
08-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Well Evan, that's what we're looking for. Any suggestions for a reasonably good setup to run three monitors and the flight sim program reasonably fast?
At a good price?

Sid

lazlo
08-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Wow, looks fantastic! I can't see the welds, but the fabrication looks super clean. Love the Red/White/Blue paintjob! :)

I modeled the basic frames out in ProE

Not surprised -- I can't see anyone coming up with that clean of a design without using CAD...

Having a hard time visualizing 1,000 lbs of argon. How many cuf? I went through ~200 cuf of argon on a 9-hour day of TIG'ing, and that sucked... ;)

sid pileski
08-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Well, I had 1500 lbs in my tank when I started. Now I have just a little over 500 lbs. There were a lot of joints, and every one is 100% welded. All sorts of kids will be using this. Can't afford to have any failures.

Sid

The Artful Bodger
08-25-2011, 10:00 PM
That looks so much fun, nicely thought out and made too!:) Just the sort of thing we need at our little aviation museum but I am afraid some of the chaps might demand it be capable of aerobatics!

P.S. Our museum is the Ashburton Aviation Museum, if you want to Google for pictures, I dont think we have a web site yet.

macona
08-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Well, I had 1500 lbs in my tank when I started. Now I have just a little over 500 lbs. There were a lot of joints, and every one is 100% welded. All sorts of kids will be using this. Can't afford to have any failures.

Sid

1000 lbs is meaningless without knowing the size of the bottle.

Guido
08-25-2011, 10:38 PM
1000 lbs ekuls 1000 psi????????????????????

--G

sid pileski
08-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Yea, 1000 psi. I don't know how many cfm.
In any event, it was a lot of welding...............

Sid

kyfho
08-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Impressive is an understatement.

Any chance of a short video of it in operation?

sid pileski
08-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't really have any of it when it was finished.
I should have taken some before they took it to the fair.
Maybe when they are done I can get some.

Sid

Evan
08-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Any suggestions for a reasonably good setup to run three monitors and the flight sim program reasonably fast?
At a good price?

My current machine that I just built is ridiculously fast. I'm using the 6 core AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor and it is clocking at around 25 gigaflops per second without overclocking. It can go quite a bit faster than that as each core is rated to 6 ghz if it can be kept cool. In reality it can run at about 4 ghz on all cores at once. To go with that a couple of Nvidia Geforce 430 or 450 video cards, Win7 x64 and 16 gigs of ram would do what you want for under a grand. I am using the Gforce 430 and it doesn't break a sweat running 1920 x 1080 resolution at 60 frames per second and running a second screen at the same time. The GPU benchmarks at a ridiculous high level.

I put my system to work on the Einstein@home distributing computing gravity wave project and my system was benchmarking in the top 2 percent of over 2 million systems on the project. Within a week I was already up in the top 17 percent of contributors. The Einstein@ home project uses both the CPU and the GPU to crunch numbers. It's a measure of raw calculating power and GPU power, nothing else. Hang a SSD on it with a spinning backup and you are set.

Black_Moons
08-26-2011, 01:02 AM
you GOTTA get IL2 for your flight sim. best WW2 era flight sim ever.

Also, in single player mode, theres a (Crappy) api that lets you export all the gauge information (And lots of non gauge information)

Unfortualy that api is totaly disabled in multi player mode :'(

Has some totaly awsome flight models, and damage modeling. Getting home with large holes in the wings and several gauges shot out/broken is fun and challanging. And even has realistic crash damage where your aircraft rips apart into peices as you spin around and flip on the ground :) or maybe just break some landing gear if its a hard hit.

I HATE flight sims that just go "CRASHED!" and freeze, then reset, IMO they should give a graphical view of the damage, and then give you a list of how much the parts you just ruined cost, and how much labour to replace em :) As well as many telling you if you just decertifyed the airframe or not. :P

sid pileski
08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Evan- As you know, I'm computer challanged. I use 'um but don't know anything about them. However, I'm sure for a grand we could get a great setup. Just need the grand right now!

Thanks- Sid

johnnyd
08-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Any chance of getting a set of plans for that "Mach. .005 StarFighter Simulator" ?
Our local EAA chapter might like to make one for use in their "Young Eagles" program.

sid pileski
08-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Johnnyd- Unfortunatly, like I said, It's my design but not my Idea.
I prommised the fellow that has a patent on this that I would only make one
for our CAP group and would not give away my design.
I've had a couple of requests already, but...................
If you do a google for cloud flyer you will come accross this and the guy's name is "Doc Holliday". I'd contact him. I know he does sell completed sims.
There are other designs and plans out there that can be had.
Or, get creative on your oun. Now that I've built one, I some experiance for what works, and what to watch out for.

Sid

johnnyd
08-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Thanx...for pointing me in the right direction. I found a lot of interesting ideas.
Now the question is...should I jump in & get started on this project...OR...should I try to finish one of the other 14 that are already in progress.:confused: :D

(I may grow to hate you before the year is out:D )

dp
08-27-2011, 03:11 AM
I like the way the open cockpit design blows the young ladie's hair - very cool. Nice design and fab work. I'm curious about the formed parts (pedals, yoke). Are those off the shelf? Pedal brakes built in? Except for when I owned an airplane I always had more sim time than flight time. So damned expensive now. I rented a C-150 wet for $15/hour as a student. Can't do that, now.

lazlo
08-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Evan- As you know, I'm computer challanged. I use 'um but don't know anything about them. However, I'm sure for a grand we could get a great setup. Just need the grand right now!

Any modern graphics card from ATI or Nvidia will auto-magically support two monitors. The flight-sim fanatics often have 3 monitors: left-right-center. That requires either a Quadro/FireGL workstation-class card ($$$) that can drive 3 HDMI ports, or two consumer-class cards in SLI configuration.

It gets expensive...

By the way Sid, a lot of the racing/flight-sim aficionados build those rigs with servo-driven force-feedback. Something to consider ;)

http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/Sim/FFB-yoke-1.php

Davo J
08-27-2011, 11:52 AM
I remember your original thread and it's turned out fantastic, well done. That would have to win some awards, as it turned out very professional looking.

For anyone else here is the original thread.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=48128

Going through you threads, I see you do some other nice work.

Dave

Alistair Hosie
08-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Sid the great big smile on your daughters face says it all thanks DAD,I also notice some really great aluminium welding. Regards Alistair

Peter.
08-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Sid that's a fantastic piece of kit. Well done and good luck at the State fair, you're sure to get an award for it.

sid pileski
08-28-2011, 01:48 PM
DP- The pedals, throttle and joy stick are purchased items.
We did have to separate the joy stick handle with all it's switches from the base, which now resides under the the seat and takes it's input via bungee cords from the moving frames.
There were 26 or 28 30 gauge wires that had to be cut and spliced to extend them .

Alister- I did not weld up the seat. It's from a Canadian company: Kirky Racing.

Lazo- It was very windy that day, but I also noticed that, and it made for a great picture.

DavoJ- The sim is just at the Fair as part of the CAP display. They are not competing for anything, just there to encourage other kids to get involved.

All- Thank you for the kind words!! Makes it worth it!

Black Forest
08-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I will donate $100 towards a computer. I think it is great that they are doing something useful.

Hat is off to you Sid for helping your daughter.

sid pileski
08-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Wow! That is a generous offer!
I will pass that along to our group "Leader", Captain Matt Mallory.
I'll let you know.
Thanks again!

Sid

roundrocktom
08-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Nicely done!

I still poking away slowly on by airplane (Bearhawk - 4 person, high wing. 2500 pound gross). Never got into sim's, but for toss a black blanket over the CAP and let them work on those minimum landings!

Have the simulators gotten to that point? i.e. declare clouds until 500 ft, so you don't see anything but the panel until final approach?

Another one that would be great for CAP. Spinning chair. You're blindfolded, and with your thumbs point what way you are spinning. Video cam records your 'flight' and review later with an instructor. Basically learn to IGNORE your gut feeling about which way you are turning.

sid pileski
08-28-2011, 03:01 PM
RRT- The program the sim is running is from Microsoft. I really don't know what it is capable of. But what little I've used it, it seems to be a game, not really a training tool. I suppose that it could be. But I'll bet there are better programs out there for doing real training if that's what you're after.

Sid

Evan
08-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Another one that would be great for CAP. Spinning chair. You're blindfolded, and with your thumbs point what way you are spinning. Video cam records your 'flight' and review later with an instructor. Basically learn to IGNORE your gut feeling about which way you are turning.

I have a spinning chair. It's my observing chair and it spins on the pinion shaft of a differential. It is smooth as glass and perfectly balanced. When it is spinning at about 90 degrees per second if you close your eyes you cannot even tell you are spinning, let alone what direction. It is an excellent lesson on trusting your instruments. Without a visual horizon there is no such thing as "seat of your pants" flying. You can do it without a chair too. Just play Pin the Tail on the Donkey.

http://ixian.ca/pics9/chair3.jpg

Evan
08-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Sid,

The MS flight sim is very good when it is put in full realism mode. It is used in some professional trainers that are qualified for actual training purposes. The primary value of these systems isn't learning how to fly the plane. It's all about procedure and systems management. It also teaches how to avoid developing "tunnel vision" which is where the pilot fixates on a single parameter and forgets to raise/ lower the gear or flaps etc.

sid pileski
08-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Evan- what is the scorpion like tail on your chair?

Sid

Evan
08-28-2011, 06:11 PM
That is how I balanced it.

The shape was just for fun. I also decided intentionally not to paint it. Rust doesn't look that bad and it doesn't require any upkeep. :D

Dawai
08-29-2011, 07:10 PM
X-plane.. free download.. is that worth a crap? not tried it yet.. I was looking at a varicopter on youtube.

I still fly the WW2 Flight simulator I bought in the late 90s.