PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat...

alanganes
08-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Probably the closest I'm ever getting to a genuine gloat here. I have always been interested in T&C grinders and have had a KO lee B300 for a while. As is typical I was lacking most of the add-on doo-dads that make these machines so versatile, but have used it a fair bit along the way. Last week when I saw a craigslist ad for a KO lee T&C with "lots of accessories" I actually avoided calling for a day or two, just because I am running out of space. In the end, I could not resist and emailed the seller. Turns out he is a retired machinist, who was cleaning out the basement shop of his retired machinist dad who had had a stroke and had moved to a nursing facility. Very nice guy and was asking a bit of a low-ball price just to move the stuff out. So in the end, I got this very nice KO Lee B860 grinder and all of these neat attachments:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/alanganes/HSM_Board/KO%20Lee%20TC%20grinder/IMG_6055.jpg

another view:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/alanganes/HSM_Board/KO%20Lee%20TC%20grinder/IMG_6058.jpg

attachemnts:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/alanganes/HSM_Board/KO%20Lee%20TC%20grinder/IMG_6048.jpg

And there is stuff not in the picture. Everything is in very nice condition. In the box with the collets are South Bend 5C's in little square bakelite tubes with covers. Other than replacing some brittle power cords, all is pretty much ready to use. He also tossed in an old but workable mag/demag unit, a box with more grinding wheels and other small unrelated stuff.
He was asking $450.00 for all of this, I ended up paying $550.
Still a gloat-worthy deal, I suspect. Guess I'll be selling my B300...

Rustybolt
08-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Wow!
Some of those motorized fixures alone go for twice what you paid for the whole setup.
Now I know where to send my endmills to be reground. ;-)

Davo J
08-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Really nice machine and accessories, a worthy gloat.
It only we could even get adds for things like that down this way. LOL

Dave

A.K. Boomer
08-27-2011, 09:08 AM
That thing looks brand spanking new! very nice deal and big of you to compensate him more than what he was asking.

Dr Stan
08-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Looks brand new, quite a find.

BTW, at the Shop Floor Talk forum you would have received at least a dozen "You Suck" responses by now. :D

Lew Hartswick
08-27-2011, 09:29 AM

BTW, at the Shop Floor Talk forum you would have received at least a dozen "You Suck" responses by now. :D
Yea. Chuckle. chuckle. That bunch is always good for a lot of
"You sucks". :-) I never come close.
...lew...

Black Forest
08-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Let me get this straight. He was asking 450 and you paid 550?

Hmmm. I would like you to come and buy some stuff from me!!!!!

I think you need some lessons in bargaining!

Alistair Hosie
08-27-2011, 10:38 AM
He probably means with extras .Sometimes that happens the cost of something is sometimes increased once you start adding things to your basket. anyway a beautiful find well done Jealous or what. Alistair

alanganes
08-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Let me get this straight. He was asking 450 and you paid 550?
Hmmm. I would like you to come and buy some stuff from me!!!!!
I think you need some lessons in bargaining!

Well, that does make me sound a bit dumb, but the more complete version is this:
Guy is clearing out his dad's house, as dad had moved to a nursing facility. He asks in the ad for $450, but has no pictures or much description on the listing. I'm the first to respond and don't get to meet with him and see the stuff for two days. The seller is also a retired machinist, so is somewhat aware what this stuff is worth, but apparently not aware how much demand there is in the used market. By the time I meet with him, he has gotten a bunch more calls. When I meet with him and talk, he is clearly having second thoughts about the low asking price. I told him that I had no interest in taking advantage of a guy who had just placed is dad in a nursing home (I've been there and done that...), so said to just name his price and I would either pay it or I'd shake his hand and we could part as friends, no hard feelings. He thought for a minute and asked if I'd be willing to go another 100 bucks. I paid him on the spot, took all of the accessory stuff with me and went back in the afternoon with my son to help move the machine itself.

I ended up buying a few other items, one of which I'll post on here later, and sort of overpaid a few bucks for a few other small items he offered. He was a very nice guy, and I was still getting an exceptional buy. We both left feeling good about the transaction, and that's worth something to me.

As for your stuff, BF, I know lots of guys who would gladly overpay for a bandsaw that magically attracts pretty young women. Not me though, wife would object. That sheep machine still makes me a bit uneasy.

alanganes
08-27-2011, 12:18 PM
...And the "You suck!" comments are what makes it an official gloat, right?

Black Forest
08-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Ok, I will let you by on the 550.

By the way. You SUCK!!!

As to the sheep machine. I don't know why it makes you uneasy.

Congratulations on the tools.

Grind Hard
08-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Consider this to be a +21 "OMG YOU SUCK" from a master grinder.

I paid 1500 for mine and spent almost three times that tracking down the accessories! :mad:

Fantastic deal on a fantastic machine. :cool:

Black_Moons
08-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Very awsome way of dealing with the guy. A++ to you man! Everyone gets to be happy.

lazlo
08-27-2011, 01:04 PM
He was asking $450.00 for all of this, I ended up paying $550.
Still a gloat-worthy deal, I suspect. Guess I'll be selling my B300...

That's Gloat-of-the-Year worthy!

Want to sell that radius grinding attachment? :D

Grind Hard
08-27-2011, 01:14 PM
That's Gloat-of-the-Year worthy!

Want to sell that radius grinding attachment? :D

*shove* Outta my way yuk yuk yuk...

alanganes
08-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Ok, I will let you by on the 550.

By the way. You SUCK!!!

As to the sheep machine. I don't know why it makes you uneasy.

Thank you, BF.

And the sheep machine does not REALLY make me uneasy, it a very cool effort on your part. I've actually been following that since your original "Leg restraints" post. Though the whole thing of having the girls lined up in it and talking of your having videos, well...:)

And by the way GB (gotta love that screen name), as a master tool grinder, you canexpect some really stupid questions to come your way in the near future.

Peter.
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I think that's VERY gloat-worthy! I would happily have paid twice that.

Mcgyver
08-27-2011, 01:59 PM
congrats....you were very clever to snatch up one with that much tooling. We add machines to expand functionality...which is a product of tooling! cheap to get with the machine, expensive or just not out there after the fact

way to go

laddy
08-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Beautiful stuff!!!!

Grind Hard
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
And by the way GB (gotta love that screen name), as a master tool grinder, you canexpect some really stupid questions to come your way in the near future.

We'll see if I can help. I kind of suck at explaining HOW... I can pick up a part and "know" how it needs to be set up... what tooling to use... etc etc...

...I started out grinding sheetmetal parts with a RA grinder.... Then detailing... Then they parked me on the timesaver.... then the Blanchard guy died and they handed me the manual. After that they needed someone to "figure out" the surface grinder... and it was a short hop from THAT to the T&C grinder...

That was 20 years ago. It's been quite a ride going from "give it to that bastard with the RA" all the way to "Please don't walk out on us Mr. Bastard sir no one else knows how to work all these machines!"

---don't tell anyone but I just make it up as I go along and hope I don't explode a grinding wheel. Hasn't happened yet. :D

Metalmelter
08-27-2011, 02:11 PM
ok,,,, ok,,,,, YOU SUCK! But that of course means NICE FIND:)))

I want a grinder for my next machine. I can think for some many silly things I can do with that and it shouldn't take up too much floor space. Goog luck with it ;)

Grind Hard
08-27-2011, 02:21 PM
It's not just for T&C grinding either. I've actually ground production parts into shape with the ones at work. It's great for oddball geometry parts.

In one case I was able to dress a grinding wheel into a specific shape and run a rather complex profile in two passes. It was taking six setups on the lathe prior.

Your imagination is the limit once you learn how to dress wheels into shape. Well it was for me anyway. That solved 95% of my daily headaches.

PixMan
08-27-2011, 02:43 PM
You suck, it's official. ;)

You are also my new tool grinder guy! Seriously now, would you consider resharpening a couple of HSS and solid carbide end mills for me? I'm passing through Dracut often enough that I could drop them off. Let me know if interested.

Congrats, that's an incredible bargain. :)

gwilson
08-27-2011, 03:03 PM
That was a truly fantastic deal,especially to get all of those valuable accessories.

boslab
08-27-2011, 03:21 PM
the high council of gloats accept this as a valid gloat, praise be the toolgrinder, now shut up an show us what it can do! [mainly cos i havent a clue how to use one, ]
all the best
mark

alanganes
08-28-2011, 08:43 AM
A bulk pack reply, before Irene knocks out my power and internet...

GB - I would like to hear a bit more about the job you described here:

"In one case I was able to dress a grinding wheel into a specific shape and run a rather complex profile in two passes. It was taking six setups on the lathe prior."

I'd bet some of the rest of us could learn a few tricks from a more detailed description of what you did. Maybe start a new thread. (please!)

Mcgyver - Thanks, getting the tooling was what I was envisioning, as I already had a T&C grinder but not much tooling for it. Turns out this one is a bit larger and nicer than mine. It is pretty unusual to see those sorts of accessories come up for sale around here. I've seen that stuff mostly on ebay, and you know how that goes...

Pixman - I'd be glad to sharpen some stuff for you, once I'm reasonably sure I can do so with out screwing up your cutters! If you do come through this area, I'd be glad to have you by sometime to mess around with this once I get it set up. Hopefully we'll both learn something. The machinist where I work tosses the cutters he deems not worth resharpening into a little box for me. I figure I'll have some fodder for practice.

Boslab - Thanks be to the exalted High Council. I expect I be mostly showing people what NOT to do with one of these for a while...

General remarks - Thanks for all of the kind words (and "you sucks").

I know we have a few regulars here that know quite a bit about tool grinding and 'll bet there are a few lurkers here who do as well. Maybe some of the folks who are smart about such things could start a few general info-on-techniques threads about this topic, which seems to be discussed less often than general mill and lathe techniques. I'm not even sure I know what questions to ask at this point.

No, the radius grinding attachment is not for sale! :)

Thanks again guys!

PixMan
08-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Well thank you, I appreciate that. I'm not worried about you screwing up any cutters...they're already junk the way they are.

It's been years since I run a tool & cutter grinder, but I'd be happy to join you in learning that nice machine. Ping me with a PM for contact info.