PDA

View Full Version : O/T US members and Irene

mike4
08-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Hope all is well for the members in the East of the US who are currently being battered by hurricane Irene.

Thinking of you all as you weather the storm and the cleanup to follow.
Michael

SGW
08-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks Michael. So far the storm has been pretty much of a bust here in mid-coast Maine, but it may perk up this afternoon. I think the storm track is farther west than predicted, which has reduced its impact on this part of the coast.

Stu
08-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Michael, thanks for the concern. There is a fair bit of flooding here in SE Pennsylvania, 8' - 12' above flood levels. I'm 50 mi. west of Phila. and we lost power for about 6 hrs overnight, there are still power outages all around us though. My son lives in southern Maryland and was much closer to the center of the storm, power has been out down there since 9pm last night and he found out that several main transmission lines are down, so it might be a good while till they get it back. He also had a large tree come down and completely crush the cab of his work truck parked just outside his house. He's a state Forester and his chainsaw is now trapped inside of a crushed tool box on the truck. Irony can be pretty ironic sometime.

Bill

PixMan
08-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Sorry there's been as much damage south of me as there is, but still it's "manageable" and loss of life has been minimized.

Fortunately, it turned out to be pretty much exactly what I predicted it would be by the time it got to where I am (central Massachusetts). It's just breezy rain. Not a lot of timber down here, though one made me laugh my ass off.

My neighbor across the street has a big beech tree on his property that lost a limb in a similar storm about 3 years ago. The limb took out the power service to my home, and of course he wouldn't help pay for any of the $1167 bill to fix it. He's a chiropractor, but his mother actually owns the home. I asked her if she had insurance on the home, and she told me then that "We don't need it" because "They (previous owners) tried to burn it down before and it (a 225 year old home) wouldn't burn. So we know it's in no danger and don't need insurance." I'm sure my wife and I calling the fire dept had nothing to do with that save. She lives in another uninsured home on the other side of town, son runs his back cracking business and lives here.

Today I noticed a tree on the other side of his house had fallen. It crushed his girlfriend's BMW (still registered in CA for the past 6 years), took out his truck, and into the windows on the north side of the fireproof house. Too funny.

SGW
08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
@PixMan -- I don't think I would take the fact that the previous owners were incompetent arsonists as evidence that the house won't burn!

chriskat
08-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the concern. I'm sorry for anyone that lost anything as well. I'm in Salisbury Maryland, the eye passed about 40-50 miles east of me. We had a lot more wind this morning after it passed than overnight as it was passing. Friends that live at the beach, 30 miles closer to the eye, reported it as a lot calmer than most Nor'easter's.

Having said all of that, better to be prepared unnecessarily than the other way around.

PixMan
08-28-2011, 09:45 PM
@PixMan -- I don't think I would take the fact that the previous owners were incompetent arsonists as evidence that the house won't burn!

When the house caught fire a number of years ago, it was a Thanksgiving Day holiday. The house was rented to a family we knew, and we knew they had headed out early to a relative's home in New Hampshire that day.

We came home from an errand at about 10:00am and noticed a wisp of smoke coming from the house. Knowing they were gone and weren't running any of the 4 fireplaces in the home meant only one thing. We called 911.

Our town's volunteer Fire Dept were (apparently) almost all home and they responded in record time with two companies. There was still enough damage that the family was displaced. The damage was repaired and six months later the house sold to the Moron family. It was then deemed by them to be absolved of any risks or liability.

This bonehead chiropractor keeps 3 dogs (town limit is 2 per family) and they roam the house and office. Another neighbor went to him ONCE, and reported that not only did the dog stink and fur offend him, the "doctor" made things worse. I think he makes his living selling steroids at the local gym he spends all his time in. I see him walk the dogs once a day, the rest of the time they're barking out the windows at passers-by.

The house may or may not burn again, who knows. It may collapse from the lack of maintenance. All I can do is laugh my ass off when something like today happens to him. I wouldn't wish it was worse damage from this storm....I think. ;)