PDA

View Full Version : shop vac hose

johnnyf
08-28-2011, 09:09 PM
I am looking for a smooth wall vacum hose to replace the stock corrugated one on my shop-vac. I use the vacum to suck up swarf from the mill and i think a smooth wall hose would work better. anyone try this

john

lakeside53
08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Google "pool hose"...

In experience, the problems almost always occur at the ends - not in the middle. There are some dumb swarf catching designs out there...

rklopp
08-29-2011, 12:07 AM
I don't have much trouble with clogs in my 2.5" Rigid shop vac hose. Instead, oils seem to soften the hose to the point that it collapses under vacuum. It sucks (ducking). Is the pool hose more resistant to attack by cutting oil, way oil, and soluble oil?

Bruce Griffing
08-29-2011, 01:31 AM
Google "Mr Nozzle" for a good source of vacuum hose. Woodworkers Supply carries it.

uncrichie
08-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Be careful of the hose you choose. I extended the hose using the same diameter flexible sump pump exhaust hose. It whistles louder than you can possibly imagine!!!

Rich Carlstedt
08-30-2011, 10:25 PM
I have had 2 1/2" Shopvac hoses for 30 years in the shop and no problems.
When sucking chips, have a bucket of wood cubes nearby.
Any 1 x that is left from a wood job gets cut into 1 x 1 x1 cubes.
The cbes clean out any hangers in the hose before they block flow.

Done with the mill? suck up half a dozen and don't worry about it.

Oily chips ? take saw dust and spread it over the mess, and wait 15 minutes before sucking it up, again follow with the cubes.

ammcoman2
08-30-2011, 10:28 PM
I bought one from Lee Valley tools- actually have two now. Got the 12' length and have never had a blockage, unlike the previous ones with the ribs on the inside. They are a bright orange colour.

Geoff

JoeLee
08-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Be careful of the hose you choose. I extended the hose using the same diameter flexible sump pump exhaust hose. It whistles louder than you can possibly imagine!!!

I have a dust brush that is real horse hair and doesn't melt when it comes in contact with oil like the synthetic brushes do, but it whistled loud as hell. I had to pack a wad of body filler in the back of the brush head to fill the whistle cavity. It's OK now. I don't use the 2 1/2" hose that came with my shop vac, I adapted an old Electroluc hose that is about 1 1/4" or so and I've never had it clog or soften up from oil.

JL.......................

flutedchamber
08-31-2011, 12:23 AM
If you are looking for a 2 inch size..Lowes has a hose that works great. Smooth inside and out and flexible. Price wasn't bad..for 12' it was about $22.