PDA

View Full Version : David Decaussin UMC-10

gundog
08-29-2011, 08:00 PM
I am looking for a thread that was posted a while back about this new small CNC machine center but I have searched several ways and can not find it. There is a youtube video of this machine and the maker David Decaussin. The video has an email address and I have sent several emails over the last month never to be answered. Does anyone know this guy and if he is actually making these machines for sale?

Here is that youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-y03hhCCME

Thanks Mike

lazlo
08-29-2011, 08:01 PM
I never heard back from David either, but the price was passed around by PM. It's pretty comparable to the price of a Tormach.

gundog
08-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Can you PM me the price you got. I like this machine better than the Tormach but I might go with the Tormach if I can't get a hold of him.

Thanks Mike

lazlo
08-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Your inbox is full :)

gundog
08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Your inbox is full :)

I did not know that I just cleared it out.

Thanks Mike

dharnell
08-29-2011, 09:47 PM
He sold one on E-bay about 4 months ago. I believe it sold for around $6000.

Mark Hockett
08-29-2011, 10:37 PM
gundog,
Check your PM

beanbag
08-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Why does the price need to stay private? I had gotten a PM as to the price, but I am just wondering why it is taboo to state it publicaly?

DFMiller
08-30-2011, 03:27 PM
I am that one that originally said that I would PM the pricing. I have shared it with a couple people as have other who got pricing direct.
The logic is that this forum does not support direct selling and advertising.
Since the price was not published publicly and were in a direct email from Dave to me I asked for PM's.

Also I don't like to put a price in print that might change.

Dave

gundog
08-30-2011, 06:32 PM
I got a hold of Mr Decaussin and I am probably going to buy one of these machines. He plans to build a dozen of them in about 3 months that is what he told me.

Mike

philbur
08-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Has he given you a detailed spec. and a firm price.

Phil:)

I got a hold of Mr Decaussin and I am probably going to buy one of these machines. He plans to build a dozen of them in about 3 months that is what he told me.

Mike

gundog
08-30-2011, 10:57 PM
I did not get detailed specs more than what he said on his video but he did tell me the rapid travel was 500IPM. I like this machine better than the imports but it is not cheap I hope I can swing it. He did give me a price with tool changer of around $18500.

Mike

Fadec
05-24-2012, 02:20 PM
The UMC10 machines are coming to market real soon. The first is assembled and a customer has spoken for it.The second is close to being assembled and available! many more to follow...

photomankc
05-24-2012, 02:50 PM
18,500..... owch. I couldn't swing that. I may just have to drool over others. I'm really wanting something other than the little conversion for hopefully getting into robotics more heavily. Tormach at 10 or 11K would be the upper end of what I could swing though I think.

Really cool machine though.

philbur
05-24-2012, 03:56 PM
I think he has been planning to sell these mills commercially for quite some time. I haven't as yet heard of anybody that has received one. Has anybody seen a detailed spec for this machine.

Mike

John Stevenson
05-24-2012, 07:01 PM
I did not get detailed specs more than what he said on his video but he did tell me the rapid travel was 500IPM. I like this machine better than the imports but it is not cheap I hope I can swing it. He did give me a price with tool changer of around $18500.

Mike

Usual dilemma.
Buy a cheap machine and it's crap because corners have been cut.
Don't cut corners and it's too expensive.

There is a running post on a UK forum where someone has bought a 2 centre square that isn't square and all the bar room lawyers are quoting trading standards and fit for purpose.

Be nice if a law was introduced when a supplier could refuse a buyer as not fit to use a tool ? :D

justanengineer
05-24-2012, 07:35 PM
The UMC10 machines are coming to market real soon. The first is assembled and a customer has spoken for it.The second is close to being assembled and available! many more to follow...

If this is David, welcome and please stay in touch.

Personally I think ~$20k is appropriate for a small professional built machine of that calibre. It doesnt look like one of the cheap conversions to me, more of a scaled version of a real tool with a nice control.

lazlo
05-24-2012, 07:39 PM
There is a running post on a UK forum where someone has bought a 2 centre square that isn't square and all the bar room lawyers are quoting trading standards and fit for purpose.

That's a slippery slope -- there's not a day goes by that we don't argue about bang/buck.

In Dave's case, he's trying to hit a very narrow market segment between a Tormach and a used TM-1.

beanbag
05-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Would be nice to see an updated video of the machine. Nothing in that older video looks remotely close to 500 ipm. That's one of the main things that separates this from a Tormach with a toolchanger.

flylo
05-24-2012, 08:30 PM
If I recall in the video he mentioned he was changing to 500ipm. maybe not. It's been a long time since I saw it but I was impressed.

photomankc
05-24-2012, 09:11 PM
If this is David, welcome and please stay in touch.

Personally I think ~$20k is appropriate for a small professional built machine of that calibre. It doesnt look like one of the cheap conversions to me, more of a scaled version of a real tool with a nice control.

Didn't say it wasn't appropriate, just said I can't swing that. I was hoping for something around 14 or 15 max. I agree though, it looks well executed and that aint Mach3 and some steppers thrown on it.

lazlo
05-24-2012, 09:29 PM
I agree though, it looks well executed and that aint Mach3 and some steppers thrown on it.

+1 It looks well made, although you can't seem much of the mechanical details in the video. Dave mentions that he scaled down the VMC-15, which I presume he also helped design. He describes using heavy wall chromoly weldments instead of cast iron -- I'd love to see under the covers :)

A new HAAS TM-1, by comparison, is $26,900:

http://www.haascnc.com/mt_spec1.asp?id=TM-1&webID=TOOLROOM_MILL_VMC

beanbag
05-24-2012, 10:36 PM
A new HAAS TM-1, by comparison, is $26,900:

http://www.haascnc.com/mt_spec1.asp?id=TM-1&webID=TOOLROOM_MILL_VMC

4000 rpm spindle - a real slowpoke

lazlo
05-24-2012, 10:43 PM

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/haas.jpg

Besides, Dave's just overdriving a standard 3600 RPM induction motor -- no reason you couldn't do the same on the HAAS VFD.

beanbag
05-24-2012, 10:50 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/haas.jpg

Besides, Dave's just overdriving a standard 3600 RPM induction motor -- no reason you couldn't do the same on the HAAS VFD.

To be fair...
TM-1P Starting at $33,995.00.

justanengineer
05-24-2012, 11:35 PM
To be fair...
TM-1P Starting at $33,995.00.

Yup, and they rapidly rise from there.

A TM1 is a rather large mill by comparison tho compared to what David is offering. Yes, theyre both on the "small" end of the VMC spectrum comparatively, but its kind of like comparing a Bport to a Clausing. If all you need is a small envelope and room for other machines his might be preferred. Without taking the time to look into specs, I assume the TM1 would also suck down the electricity quite a bit more = significantly higher cost of running.

philbur
05-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm interested to know how many people are prepared to part with $18,500 based solely on a short youtube video?

Has anybody seen any detailed info?

Mark Hockett
05-25-2012, 12:03 PM

It is very simple to change the TM-1 to 6000 rpm, it takes about 5 minutes making a few parameter changes at the control panel. The reason it comes with a 4000 RPM spindle is for safety as it is an open machine. I briefly owned a TM-1 and it was set for 6000 RPM, even my TL-1 has had the spindle RPM increased.

Fadec
05-26-2012, 12:43 AM
The UMC10's are being manufactured in Simi Valley CA, your welcome for a shop tour!

beanbag
05-26-2012, 08:02 AM
It is very simple to change the TM-1 to 6000 rpm, it takes about 5 minutes making a few parameter changes at the control panel. The reason it comes with a 4000 RPM spindle is for safety as it is an open machine. I briefly owned a TM-1 and it was set for 6000 RPM, even my TL-1 has had the spindle RPM increased.

Overclocking a CNC machine? :D
Does that void the warranty?

gundog
05-26-2012, 02:37 PM
I started this thread and wanted to buy a machine I had money in hand and Dave would not return my phone calls. I had one conversation with him and I felt positive about it, but all further communication went with no response to email or 3 other phone numbers he gave me. I get the feeling this is a hobby for him no knock on the man I think he built a good small machine but after numerous unreturned phone calls and emails it was time to move on I needed a machine.

I ended up buying a used Trak DPM bed mill from a machiney dealer in Seattle.

I have a friend who runs a very high dollar machine shop making medical instruments and since I am a novice I asked his advice and sent him the link to the youtube video.

This is what he told me. "No matter what machine you get make sure you have support because at some point you will need it. He thought it was a nice small machine but worried about availability of parts."

It was easy to move on because of the lack of response from Dave because I figured if he would not return communication when I am trying to spend money with him I probably would not have had any luck with tech support.

It is a shame I still wished I could have looked into purchasing a UMC-10 but that money is spent now.

Mike

Alistair Hosie
05-26-2012, 03:17 PM
If the price is the same for everyone then it should not be private personally if I sold something I would be anxious to tell everyone the price maybe they guy has not developed to a stage when pricing can be fixed yet. Who knows.Good luck to hi is all I can say we need less Chinese stuff and better quality new stuff. Alistair

philbur
05-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Is there some fundamental difference between 4,000 rpm and 6,000 rpm when it comes to safety.

The reason it comes with a 4000 RPM spindle is for safety as it is an open machine.

beanbag
05-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Is there some fundamental difference between 4,000 rpm and 6,000 rpm when it comes to safety.

Well, it is 125% more likely to send something flying, and when it does go flying, it does 125% more damage. For a combined total of 406% more danger!!!*

*1.5 ^2 for centripetal force, and then squared again for kinetic energy

tyrone shewlaces
05-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Of course if you're spinning 6000K though, you're probably turning a pretty small cutter so there's a subtraction variable to squeeze into the equation.

philbur
05-27-2012, 05:07 AM
So why 4,000 rpm. why not 3,000 rpm.

Also I think "it is 125% more likely to send something flying" is also up for debate. I would propose that most things go flying either because of a broken tool or poor work holding. Neither of which is rpm dependent.

Well, it is 125% more likely to send something flying, and when it does go flying, it does 125% more damage. For a combined total of 406% more danger!!!*

*1.5 ^2 for centripetal force, and then squared again for kinetic energy

sansbury
05-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Yup, and they rapidly rise from there.

Well, there's also the Tormach 770. The mill alone is $7k, and that's with a 10k spindle. No full enclosure, and it's steppers instead of servos, but on this size machine I don't see that being an issue. An ATC adds $4200, but that still leaves you $6k shy of the UMC10's price. That's the competition I'd be shopping, and probably buying.

darryl
01-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Looks like a well-made machine. I'm not sure, but the sound of it operating suggests that it's quite rigid, but could possibly benefit from some damping. It's a weldment, which I would suspect would behave this way.

I'm not knocking it at all. I am curious as to how it would stack up against an assemblage of castings vs the weldments. My particular thoughts at the moment are about static deflection- can a weldment equal or improve upon this vs a cast machine? Critical damping added to a more rigid structure should enable a superior performance- that's kind of where I'm going with this.

At one point, he mentioned a machined cold-rolled table. That caught my attention, considering the likelihood of it warping during machining. There was no mention made about stress-relieving, but I assume that given the skill required to come up with the UMC, he probably did give everything the appropriate treatment.

This is encouraging to those of us that might want to build a machine in some similar way, even though it might be a baby by comparison.

beanbag
01-22-2013, 02:35 AM
UMC-10's are available for purchase...have eight in stock!!!

how much? what are the current specs?

deanq
01-22-2013, 10:35 AM
I think this is their web site

FADEC (http://www.fadeceng.com/)

Dave S.
02-02-2013, 03:08 PM
That's not a web site that is a web page. very little information.

krems
02-02-2013, 08:11 PM
There's a UMC-10 listed for sale on eBay. I can't remember the link. Price was listed at $22,000
I'm not affiliated w/ Fadec at all, just a curious potential buyer.

Items

lazlo
02-03-2013, 12:19 AM
There's a UMC-10 listed for sale on eBay. I can't remember the link. Price was listed at $22,000

Merging threads:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/49137-Something-new-coming-to-market/page2

Fadec
02-10-2013, 09:48 AM
UMC 10 is on Facebook...many pictures

John Stevenson
02-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Who in their right mind would go on Facebook looking for machines ? Youtube yes but facebook is for morons who don't have a life.

dharnell
02-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I would have to agree with John. Facebook seems the least likely place to look for a machine tool. I did a search for the UMC-10 and never found any hits other than Youtube and a CNC forum. Fadec did respond to a PM via this forum however. Thanks.

lazlo
02-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Who in their right mind would go on Facebook looking for machines ?

LOL -- Fadec is obviously Dave DeCaussin :)

Black Forest
02-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Fadec or David can kiss my butt. I tried to get information regarding one of these mills and never bothered to return return any E-mail. Now they come on here trying to sell their mills. I don't know why George didn't delete the whole thing.

beanbag
02-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Now they come on here trying to sell their mills.

I can assure you they aren't trying very hard.

legendboy
02-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Here is a thread started by mill #1 owner

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general_metal_working_machines/159988-making_chips_our_new_umc-10_a.html

and some more pics

http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/user/dfrolka1/library/Fadec/?fromLegacy=true#/user/dfrolka1/library/Fadec?http%3A//s1283.beta.photobucket.com/user/dfrolka1/library/Fadec/?&_suid=136086078560907095542788093683