PDA

View Full Version : OT - Where is OZ?

lynnl
08-30-2011, 01:29 PM
I see "OZ" all the time here (and elsewhere too), but the context has never unmistakeably revealed whether it's Australia, or New Zealand. or both.

Where are you, OZ?

beanbag
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
It's a magical land with wizards and etc. Only accessible via tornado.

TGTool
08-30-2011, 02:01 PM
OZ Tray Lee Uh, maybe?

Black Forest
08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Why would you want to know? Read the posts from the land of OZ. Those guys don't know anything and do everything backwards. I am surprised they even know how to log on to this site!

Peter.
08-30-2011, 02:13 PM
I see "OZ" all the time here (and elsewhere too), but the context has never unmistakeably revealed whether it's Australia, or New Zealand. or both.

Where are you, OZ?

Stop a Kiwi and ask if he's from Oz :D

Scottike
08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
When we moved into our new home the toilets had been imported from OZ, I told the wife that it was so the water would swirl counter-clockwise and flush better.

Willy
08-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Oztralia.;)

philbur
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
People from Australia are known as Aussies so by reverse logic Aussies must come from the land of Aus, pronounced OZ.

The only similarity between the musical and the actual place is that they both have more than their fair share of weirdoes.:eek:

Phil:)

RPM22
08-30-2011, 04:31 PM
In New Zealand, Oz (Australia)is known as "The West Island"

Richard in Los Angeles

The Artful Bodger
08-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Oz is NZ's penal colony.:D

Keith_W
08-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Dissapoints me to read the replys here to this thread.
I had liked this site as it offered some great responces to engineering questions.
Did not belive my eyes as I read the responces to lynnl question.

And Black Forest your responce was the worst, a responce from a country that lost two wars and only claim to fame is Adolf Hitler.

Rustybolt
08-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh lighten up Gertrude.
BF was just joking with them.
OZ-ites. I mean.
OZ-ians?
OZes?
OZ-iers?

Foster

Australian for

tourist.

That's all I got.

MrSleepy
08-30-2011, 05:10 PM
a responce from a country that lost two wars and only claim to fame is Adolf Hitler.
A responce by an American who lives in Germany.

So you may be slightly of base with that comment.

Rob

Willy
08-30-2011, 05:14 PM
And Black Forest your responce was the worst, a responce from a country that lost two wars and only claim to fame is Adolf Hitler.

Not one to argue....but I can think of at least two other things.;)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/250willy/845c1d24.jpg

Black Forest
08-30-2011, 05:16 PM
I had liked this site as it offered some great responces to engineering questions.

Hey Keith, are you from OZ?

And if you want to hammer me please learn to spell. It is response not responce!

Everyone is having fun and no one but you is taking any of the replies as an insult.

And you have forgotten the Mercedes Benz!

The guys from OZ won't understand the insults.

The Artful Bodger
08-30-2011, 05:24 PM

But I do remember the Trabant!

mike os
08-30-2011, 05:28 PM

thats what I think of when I think germany LOL

ps guys from OZ are called wankers... or bruce :D

MrSleepy
08-30-2011, 05:33 PM
And dont forget the spuk (http://www.dumpyourwifenow.com/2007/03/22/women-want-men-to-sit-when-peeing/) ...where would German men be without one (well stood up maybe)..

Rob

rohart
08-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Call them by any animal except the biggest one on the island. Oh, and the one that got imported.

So, possum, wombat, wallaby will do fine.

But not kangaroo, or rabbit. Especially rabbit. They don't like that one. Not sure about bullfrog.

Scottike
08-30-2011, 05:36 PM
O.T. Mr. Sleepy - where is Grimsby located?

Grind Hard
08-30-2011, 05:38 PM

I count four in that picture.:D

MrSleepy
08-30-2011, 05:39 PM
O.T. Mr. Sleepy - where is Grimsby located?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimsby

In a roundabout way..its where Freddie Frinton came from....who's Dinner for One sketch has entertained the Germans every Christmas for years....Who says the Germans have no sense of humor..

Rob

Chris S.
08-30-2011, 05:56 PM

Geeez, chill out! It's just a bit of levity, which your flame of Germany is certainly not. One my favorite celebrations is Oktoberfest! No, it's not mis-spelled.

Chris

form_change
08-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Actually, Keith W is right. I do find BF's comments offensive.

Michael

lynnl
08-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Holy Smokes! :D :D I thought I was just asking a simple question. :D

davidwdyer
08-30-2011, 06:28 PM
The name OZ probably has its origin in the fact that most people there are odd. Next, they can't pronounce words well, so it comes out a little slurred.

It is obvious from the facts we get from Hollywood that people from New Zealand have big, hairy feet. What is not so well known is that those people from "down under" have to develop very strong toe muscles. Otherwise, how do they hang on to the earth?

Living upside down that way for long periods of time no doubt messes with their capacity to think and do things. Everything to them is odd, thus OZ.

philbur
08-30-2011, 06:33 PM
It's call ribbing. It's what guys do. The Aussies are famous for it, if it were in the Olympics they would be favorites for gold, silver and bronze.

And Black Forest your responce was the worst.

Chris S.
08-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Actually, Keith W is right. I do find BF's comments offensive.

Michael

Well, I went back to re-read it but I must admit that it eludes me as to its origins. I do know that the Aussies make one of the best line of wood holding chucks on the market. On the other hand, they make some very strange movies. Ever see "Picnic At Falling Rock"? You'll find yourself begging for it to end! "Razorback" was just as strange. :D

On the up side the women are fun!
Chris

Chris S.
08-30-2011, 06:52 PM
It's call ribbing. It's what guys do.

Ah, that's the problem in this world. This is what MEN like to do. Problem is the feminisation of the male species is in its third stage of development and the prognosis for our survival is bleak indeed!

Chris

rythmnbls
08-30-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm an Aussie, who's currently a resident of the US, I find no offence here, just good natured ribbing, to be expected among like minded blokes :)

OZ is just a contraction of Aussie, pronounced 'ozzie'.

Steve.

John Stevenson
08-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Everything in OZ is a contraction, that's why Castlemain XXXX is so called because they can't spell beer.

Mind you the yanks can't make it either.
Don't bother with the Lucas refrigerator jokes lads, you now own Lucas.

lynnl
08-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Everything in OZ is a contraction, that's why Castlemain XXXX is so called because they can't spell beer.

I spent about a week in Darwin once. Saw the drunkest person there I've ever seen! ...nope, wasn't me, was an aboriginal women. She certainly couldn't spell beer. Or anything else for that matter. :D

The highlight of the trip tho, was a nude beach we went to. One of the guys I was with decided to strip off and join in. But he stood out from the crowd. Sad to say, the image is indelibly etched in my brain. He was a little chubby, and looked like a bleached whale with tanned arms and head and neck. Uhggh! :D

lakeside53
08-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Oz.... as a Kiwi expat, i see it as the world largest desert Island...:D

I did like that they have "family beaches" -for the clothed crowd. Not sure where they were though. Even my wife (current) took of her top to "blend In". I have a picture or 10 somewhere...

sasquatch
08-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Well, i don't have much to add to this topic, except i enjoyed the great humerous comments from everyone!!

For Pete,s sake, seems someone Always has to bitch about something!!:rolleyes:

Toolguy
08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Going topless is no big deal - I've done it lots of times!:D

Mcostello
08-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Desperately trying to scrub that mental image away.:)

bollie7
08-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Funnily enough about the only place you hear an aussie called after an animal, ie "possum" is in a hollywood movie.(Dame Edna not withstanding) same as the term "cobber". I'm 52 and I've never heard that term in everyday usage.
The last couple of generations have been brought up on a diet of 2nd Hand, 2nd rate American S*it Coms so its far more likely that you will hear americanisms being used.
Mind you, we do have some really nice, friendly, harmless spiders and snakes. Some of you blokes should consider coming over for a holiday.:)

bollie7

Peter.
08-31-2011, 12:34 AM
Funnily enough about the only place you hear an aussie called after an animal, ie "possum" is in a hollywood movie.(Dame Edna not withstanding) same as the term "cobber". I'm 52 and I've never heard that term in everyday usage.
The last couple of generations have been brought up on a diet of 2nd Hand, 2nd rate American S*it Coms so its far more likely that you will hear americanisms being used.
Mind you, we do have some really nice, friendly, harmless spiders and snakes. Some of you blokes should consider coming over for a holiday.:)

bollie7

Fair dinkum?

flutedchamber
08-31-2011, 01:13 AM
Oz is NZ's penal colony.:D

Well...it is certainly better than being a penile colony.:rolleyes:

Davo J
08-31-2011, 01:25 AM
You guys in the US are just unhappy the ozzie dollar is worth more than yours.:D

It cant be to bad down here, everyone seems to moving here to live.
From the stories I hear on the internet about seeing town council before putting any machinery in etc, I am happy where I am.

Dave

Black Forest
08-31-2011, 04:08 AM
Even my wife (current) took of her top to "blend In". I have a picture or 10 somewhere...

Are you going to post any of those pictures. I promise I won't show them to anyone else!

Davo J
08-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Are you going to post any of those pictures. I promise I won't show them to anyone else!

LOL

Dave

BobL
08-31-2011, 08:07 AM
It must be time for my favorite milling photo.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachments/milling-saw-mills/88224d1233137753-joblake-jpg

aboard_epsilon
08-31-2011, 08:17 AM
strait out of my head ..what i think of when i think Australia

First off ..fosters and hogan

Ever notice ..if someone talented comes out of there ..they never go back ... rolf

meaning Rolf Harris this time .

Gibson ..

Then we have the biggest exports

skippy ,
Solo one ...anyone remember that one
home and away
neighbours

oh and them others... coal iron ore and sheep

best exports
Triton super jaws..i have one
Wombat roof bolting machine..ive used one

all the best.markj

BobL
08-31-2011, 08:27 AM
First off ..fosters and hogan
products of clever advertising campaigns

Ever notice ..if someone talented comes out of there ..they never go back ... rolf
meaning Rolf Harris this time .
You can keep him.

Gibson ..
As in Mel? Cleverly exported to the US.

skippy ,
Solo one ...anyone remember that one
home and away
neighbours
Have to pay back the UK for all those convicts somehow.

oh and them others... coal iron ore and sheep
The coal and iron helping the chinese to keeping the world of machinists happy with cheap chinese tools.

AS for sheep, did you know the national flock has fallen to the lowest numbers since 1905, only 73 million in 2010.

best exports
Triton super jaws..i have one
Wombat roof bolting machine..ive used one
We export something useful????:confused:

Lew Hartswick
08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Some of you blokes should consider coming over for a holiday.:)

bollie7
Did that (quite a few years ago) but it was the best vacation I've
ever had. 6 weeks on a bus/camping tour of about half the "island" ,
:-) (the eastern half)
Would love to do the other half.
...lew...

Lew Hartswick
08-31-2011, 10:48 AM
And dont forget the spuk (http://www.dumpyourwifenow.com/2007/03/22/women-want-men-to-sit-when-peeing/) ...where would German men be without one (well stood up maybe)..

Rob
As long as they put zipper flys in pants it'll never "fly". :-)
...lew...

John Stevenson
08-31-2011, 11:52 AM
MrSleepy][/b]
Rob

As long as they put zipper flys in pants it'll never "fly". :-)
...lew...
So don't put the seat up and pi$$ all over that as well :D

Chris S.
08-31-2011, 12:10 PM

bollie7

You're confusing Hollyweird with America. Mix that with a generation or two of young heads full of mush and that's the result. Hollyweird is far more than a geographical location. It's a state of mind, or rather... lack of it! It's a place where actors play the role of a man like Jonas Salk and then proceed to have (Polio prevention) concerts because they are now experts on the subject. On the other side of the coin, Holly weird is a place that churns out shoot-em up actors that then appear on TV spouting gun control!

Your equivalent of Hollyweird isn't much better. I brushed shoulders with a lot of good Aussies while participating in the SE Asia war games. I never met one that was remotely like the strange characters that the Australian film industry bombards us with.

Chris

radkins
08-31-2011, 12:19 PM
It's a place where actors play the role of a man like Jonas Salk and then proceed to have (Polio prevention) concerts because they are now experts on the subject.Chris

"I am not a doctor but I play one on TV" :rolleyes:

garagemark
08-31-2011, 02:12 PM
What a fun thread. But....

Hey Keefer (Keith_W)- Quit yer whining. First off you haven't been a member here long enough to even know who these guys are. They DO know each other, and a bit of fun makes this a great place to hang out. And if things like a little banter grind on you so bad.... well, the Internet as a whole is not for you. Gee whiz, no one calls us Americans any names now, do they? So put yer big boy pants on and go with the flow.

Now, back to the thread. I must say that I am slightly offended at the picture of those nasty women drinking nasty beer with a lot of nasty cleavage showing. It seriously pizzes me off that I wasn't the one taking the picture... Or better yet, mingling down there with them. ;)

Mark

Oh, and ask a serious engineering question and I'll bet you'll get a serious engineering answer.

Yow Ling
08-31-2011, 03:14 PM

Gee whiz, no one calls us Americans any names now, do they?

Yes, you may be suprised

MrSleepy
08-31-2011, 03:48 PM

Hey Keefer (Keith_W)- Quit yer whining.

Dont be too hard on him...it was just a crude attempt to initiate Godwin's Law..

Rob

flutedchamber
08-31-2011, 05:22 PM

Keith,

While Adolf was the most (in)famous person associated with Germany, surely someone as well read as you is sure to know that thanks to the Germans we have a space program. And let us not forget Rudolf Diesel, the man who INVENTED the diesel engine...another German that invented something before the name Hitler was ever on anyones lips.

The Germans has rockets and jets when we were flying the B29. There have been numerous developments in science and chemistry thanks to Germany. Not all Germans are crazy bastards like Adolf, but most are inventive and intelligent. But find a DUMB German and you have a perfect living doorstop.

PS "Responce" in these United States of America is spelled R E S P O N S E, "Replys" is spelled R E P L I E S, and "Belive" is spelled B E L I E V E (at least until the king changes that).

PS A German just taught you that.

Grind Hard
08-31-2011, 05:31 PM
I have a book from 1918... Chemical Intermediates For Dyestuffs.... It's a chemical handbook for making textile dye. 1918. 90% of it detailed the innovations from German chemists...

...and I can name another German who also had a huge influence on the world we live in -- Otto Von Bismark.

Now on a more humorous note... Know any good American jokes? :D

Keith,

While Adolf was the most (in)famous person associated with Germany, surely someone as well read as you is sure to know that thanks to the Germans we have a space program.

The Germans has rockets and jets when we were flying the B29. There have been numerous developments in science and chemistry thanks to Germany. Not all Germans are crazy bastards like Adolf, but most are inventive and intelligent. But find a DUMB German and you have a perfect living doorstop.

PS A German just taught you that.

John Stevenson
08-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Budweiser ? :D

Bridgeport ? :p

Scottike
08-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Pick a state...

edit: the 51st doesn't count, as it's not official.

aostling
08-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Pick a state...

Delaware. Surely there cannot be a joke about it.

ckelloug
08-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Somebody needs to blame the Aussies for Vegemite.

Scottike
08-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Dumb Delaware Laws:
It is illegal to fly over any body of water, unless one is carrying sufficient supplies of food and drink.

I may have to move there.

Chris S.
08-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Yes, you may be suprised

I think it went over your head. To rephrase: Your perception of Garagemark's statement is obviously misinterpreted, . Look up the term "facetious". :rolleyes:
Basically, it was just a continuation of what this thread is... Good fun!

Chris

flutedchamber
08-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Pick a state...

How about states #51 through #57...which our "president" only seems to know the identity of...:rolleyes:

lazlo
08-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Pick a state...

Well, our Governor wants to secede, so that would put us back at 50. Of course, he wants to be President too, and no one's sure if he means that he wants to be President of the remaining 49 states or the Republic of Texas :)

Then again, Governor Perry said this week that evolution is "a theory that's out there" and one that's "got some gaps in it." So maybe the rest of the US would be better off ;)

TGTool
08-31-2011, 10:45 PM
No offense Robert, but the rest of us are kind of hoping that Texas will continue to have Perry as governor for the foreseeable future. Or at least not that one particular alternative. :D

Willy
09-06-2011, 03:37 AM
I know, I know....old thread.

But this just crossed my desk and I couldn't resist.:D

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/250willy/114b2d59.jpg

Who knew?

bollie7
09-06-2011, 07:31 AM
I know, I know....old thread.

But this just crossed my desk and I couldn't resist.:D

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/250willy/114b2d59.jpg

Who knew?

Thats right it doesn't happen. - He's wearing the wrong sort of hat. Should be a slouch hat
bollie7

Ed.
09-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Somebody needs to blame the Aussies for Vegemite.
Hey, don't knock the Vegemite, besides you guys own it now! you yanks just don't know how much to put on a piece of toast, as for wierdos. I recently looked at some pics on the web of Walmart customers, these people must get up in the morning , look in a mirror and say.. Damn I look good.:D. really?? come on! :D

Ed.
09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Thats right it doesn't happen. - He's wearing the wrong sort of hat. Should be a slouch hat
bollie7
Not to mention wrong animal, it should be an Emu, much smoother ride:D and in New Zealand it should be a sheep, well they don't actually ride the sheep, ... I think.

lazlo
09-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Hey, don't knock the Vegemite, besides you guys own it now! you yanks just don't know how much to put on a piece of toast

We put our yeast in the bread, not on the bread :D

J. R. Williams
09-07-2011, 11:19 AM
As I recall from my long ago youth, OZ was at the end of the Yellow Brick road. :-)

JRW.

Rustybolt
09-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Well, our Governor wants to secede, so that would put us back at 50. Of course, he wants to be President too, and no one's sure if he means that he wants to be President of the remaining 49 states or the Republic of Texas :)

Then again, Governor Perry said this week that evolution is "a theory that's out there" and one that's "got some gaps in it." So maybe the rest of the US would be better off ;)

Well. It is just a theory. Scientifically speaking it's always subject to revision.

lazlo
09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Well. It is just a theory. Scientifically speaking it's always subject to revision.

Gravitation is just a theory, but we're pretty sure works as we expect :)

Governor Perry said this week that evolution is "a theory that's out there" and one that's "got some gaps in it."

What are the gaps? :p

Ed.
09-07-2011, 08:04 PM
What gaps? the missing links are alive and well walking around in plain sight at Walmart!!:) I would put up pictures but there were so many of them, 735 pages of them on the site that I visited. :D and you guys think that Aussies are wierd?

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos

Black_Moons
09-07-2011, 08:14 PM

Unlike all religions and creationism/etc, that has been proven to be 100% fact, time and time again, without a single gap... *bursts out laughing* Sorry, Just can't say that while keeping a straight face.

Reminds me of a good joke. 500 years ago.. monks copying the bible by hand
One monk leans over to the next.. "Pssst, How do you spell nymphomaniac?"

BobL
09-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Pssst ! . . . . . I think I found the answer to everything.

Well maybe not everything - but it explains many things.

http://twitaholic.com/top100/followers/

TGTool
09-08-2011, 12:19 AM
<snip>

Reminds me of a good joke. 500 years ago.. monks copying the bible by hand
One monk leans over to the next.. "Pssst, How do you spell nymphomaniac?"

And the one of the monks copying manuscripts year after year. One day one of they says he'd just like to double check some text and go back to the vaults to verify they've been duplicating the original exactly as written.

He's gone for a very long time, and finally at supper time he still hasn't shown up so they figure they better check on him.

There he is way in the back at a table with a manuscript in front of him and his head down on the table bawling his eyes out. They rush up to see what's upset him so badly, and when he can finally speak he says, "We've been misspelling one word this all these years. I looked at the original and the word is celebrate.

Your Old Dog
09-08-2011, 09:31 AM

That's the way life is Keith. Fertile minds capable of generating the kind of great answers to complex engineering questions that you seek are frequently capable of having a little fun once and a while. If you can't see that the board members were simply having a little innocent fun than the problem is yours and not ours.

The question got answered after a few pokes of fun from some well meaning people. Your parting shot at Black Forest was not meant in the spirit of fun and was infact very harsh.

Lighten up. Very few post run the course without someone trying to introduce a chuckle here and there. Sometimes it can't be helped. Like in this case, how could you walk away without firing a shot across the bow of the penal colony? :D

Your Old Dog
09-08-2011, 09:43 AM
It cant be to bad down here, everyone seems to moving here to live.

The yanks that are moving that way are doing so because of the "down under" notions that keep floating around. Many of us have spent considerable time "down under" and actually enjoy it :D