PDA

View Full Version : Galling question.

Black_Moons
08-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi, I finaly got my remote tank line for my CO2 pistol, And now just need to make the adapator, I decided to remove the pistols puncture screw and install it into the botto mof the gun. The problem is.. The puncture screw goes into aluminum or potmetal. (the actual mechanism im removing is just plastic, and its nicely greased.)

So im thinking, if I make an aluminium adapator, and screw it into aluminum (or potmetal?) threads, isent it gonna gall like crazy? Should I use a steel instead? Clearly id like the adapator to wear out before the gun, but as this will be holding 1000psi through a hole in the center I don't wanna make it outta plastic! (Only ones on hand are acrylic and UHMW anyway)

Or will excessive grease keep it from galling? its a fine pitch thread, about 3/4" diamiter, And only gets 'hand' tightened (About a 1 1/2" knob to hand tighten it), athough my adapator will likey be installed with tools and might be a little tighter.

Black_Moons
08-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Decided to make it outta steel. Turning out well. Though the surface finish is pigs ass.

Carld
08-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't do aluminum on aluminum and glad you didn't either. You wouldn't like the results.

Dawai
08-31-2011, 05:46 AM
No-alox.. we put it on conduit since the 70s.. if you don't.. it won't come apart next year.. or in 5 minutes when you see a easier route to run the pipe. I've wound it up like candy cane trying to unscrew it.

The coppershield works too in corrosive atmospheres. I always said you could take a dab of coppershield and paint a battleship.. we put it on aluminum instrument covers so they will unscrew "next time". Aluminum corrosive welds itself, breaks down into a white powder with moisture or contamination, or as in electrical outlets electrolysis.

Making a nipple to pierce the air bottle.. Not sure how I'd do that here with the old stuff I work with. I would like to modify a CO2 rifle to a Large air tank just to play. Hydraulic hose?? perhaps?

Napoleon's snipers used air rifles so I read.

Black_Moons
08-31-2011, 12:52 PM
No-alox.. we put it on conduit since the 70s.. if you don't.. it won't come apart next year.. or in 5 minutes when you see a easier route to run the pipe. I've wound it up like candy cane trying to unscrew it.

The coppershield works too in corrosive atmospheres. I always said you could take a dab of coppershield and paint a battleship.. we put it on aluminum instrument covers so they will unscrew "next time". Aluminum corrosive welds itself, breaks down into a white powder with moisture or contamination, or as in electrical outlets electrolysis.

Making a nipple to pierce the air bottle.. Not sure how I'd do that here with the old stuff I work with. I would like to modify a CO2 rifle to a Large air tank just to play. Hydraulic hose?? perhaps?

Napoleon's snipers used air rifles so I read.

Good advice.

What? I never made any kinda nipple. I just bought a 'CO2 remote' hose off e-bay for $30 (they are $50 localy, and the ebay one came with a cool PSI gauge!). And then I made a 1/8NPT adapator that 'faked' being a CO2 cart (And also replaced the screw that raises the CO2 cart to puncture it)