PDA

View Full Version : Grainger

chriskat
08-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Anybody know how horrible their shipping charges are? I'm looking at some nylon tubing .093 ID .125 OD by 50 feet. It's only about $9 and I'd hate to pay $20 shipping.

I've tried going throught the ordering process and it looks like I may have to place the order to find out, otherwise I'd just let their web site tell me.

Thanks,
Jeff

Chris S.
08-30-2011, 09:27 PM
what's the stock number and your zip code?

Chris

Bob Fisher
08-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Try Mc Master Carr,their shipping is reasonable. Not much they do not have, usually next day delivery.Bob.

lakeside53
08-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Just have it sent to the nearest Grainger store for will-call pickup - no charge...

chriskat
08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered it, shipping was $9 which is probably not bad although it still bugs me to pay as much for shipping.

I looked at McMaster Carr and they had the same tubing but the price was a little over double so it would have been more.

I don't have a local Grainger store, I'm in Salisbury MD (I've updated my profile) we don't have much like that. Probably Baltimore would be closest aht that's 2 hours drive.

Thanks again.

woodnerd
08-31-2011, 06:11 AM
Well, think about how much it actually costs to ship it. I think the absolute minimum UPS/FedEx charges for a package is about $10, I don't think even high-volume shippers can get it for that much less. Boxes are also surprisingly expensive. $9 doesn't sound that bad to me.

Dawai
08-31-2011, 07:14 AM
Sounds real close to "air shock tubing". Seems it is 1/8th inch outside too.

I used to melt it down and then the car would sit onto the wide tires.

PixMan
08-31-2011, 08:03 AM
The $9 shipping, all things considered, is really pretty fair. If I have to order a $10 item and shipping is $6, I just keep adding more bits I will need in the near future until the shipping charge seems more-acceptable for the amount of stuff I'm buying. That applies to every vendor I need to buy from, whether it's KBC Tools, MSC, Enco, or any other that I can't easily drive to.

Bob D.
08-31-2011, 10:26 AM
When I retired, my boss gave me a subscription to Make magazine. Lots of creative and interesting articles to be had. Here's the website:

http://blog.makezine.com/

They also sell parts kits for a wide variety of projects. Trouble is their shipping charges are astronomical. An electronic kit that maybe weighs a few ounces costs way over $10 by the cheapest shipping method. Come on! It wouldn't cost more than 2-3 bucks by USPS anywhere in the US. They are running a sale now with free shipping, so yesterday I placed an order and included a message that if their shipping charge was more reasonable I would have ordered stuff long ago.

This site and MAKE are 2 of the half dozen I check every day. There are some machining articles there, so if you haven't been there, give it a look. Some of the things are a little "wacky" .there are "artists" there as well as craftsmen, but that just adds to the fun...

RWO
08-31-2011, 02:52 PM
I have been buying from Drillspot; Their stuff comes from Grainger. Free shipping.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/528510/legris_1091p53_00_tubing

RWO

chriskat
08-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks RWO I saved that link.

To the others, I don't think $9 is out of line I just don't like paying as much or more for shipping as the product. Sort of principal. I do understand it however.

Having said that. At work we get about a 70% discount off the published UPS rates and we aren't that large of a shipper. For example, I recently had the occasion to compare our rate to the "standard" UPS rate on a shipment of quite a few boxes 60 pounds each. The published rate was just about $1600 our rate was $466.

So, they're in all likelihood making a bundle on shipping charges. But again, I understand.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jeff

Ohio Mike
08-31-2011, 10:04 PM
+1 for Drill Spot

I have been buying from Drillspot; Their stuff comes from Grainger. Free shipping.

RWO

DR
09-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Shipping charges have gone through the roof in recent years.

A friend's business averages sales of over $20K a day, all shipped UPS. Because of his volume he gets a substantial discount on UPS billing. The least expensive package he can ship still costs him $7.50.

Of late I've noticed small dollar items that might be substantially less online than in the local store are no longer such bargains. Even after adding in local sales tax a $5 item locally becomes cheaper than the same item online for $1.

Chris S.
09-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Shipping charges have gone through the roof in recent years.

What did you expect when you have an administration that treats business that use, drill or explore fossil fuels as enemies of the state? You should thank God that those trucks don't burn coal! :rolleyes:

Paul Alciatore
09-02-2011, 08:49 PM
High shipping costs?
Well, the good old USPS is still in business and anything that can be stuffed into an envelope or small box that they provide for free will ship anywhere in the country for $4.95 or $5.20. It usually gets there in two or three days.

PS, large companies like McMaster do a ton of shipping and get special rates from the big freight companies like UPS and FedEX. What you pay is often a lot higher than what they are charged. I guess they have to pay for their shipping department.

Chris S.
09-04-2011, 11:30 AM
High shipping costs?
Well, the good old USPS is still in business and anything that can be stuffed into an envelope or small box that they provide for free will ship anywhere in the country for $4.95 or $5.20. It usually gets there in two or three days.

PS, large companies like McMaster do a ton of shipping and get special rates from the big freight companies like UPS and FedEX. What you pay is often a lot higher than what they are charged. I guess they have to pay for their shipping department.

Watch the video and connect the dots. Private carriers are not playing on a level playing field.

http://www.therightscoop.com/crowder-connects-dots-on-federal-gas-tax-and-unions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRightScoop+%28The+Right+Sc oop%29

Chris

pturner
09-05-2011, 11:57 AM
High shipping costs?

I never pay $9 for small orders from McMaster. 2-3 dollars is typical for a box of screws, bushings, etc. They only time I get irritated is buying a 6' piece of Al, or wiremold, and shipping can easily cost more then the product, but thats the nature of DIM weight, and I'm sure UPS finds stuff like that a lot harder to ship, sort and deliver. And you can add a olot of longer stuff to that order before the shipping gets higher.

If you have never been to MMC in person, it's worth a trip (in Atlanta at least) to see part of their shipping operation from the will call counter. I've never had a tour per se, but one of the ladies walked me up to a managers office, and made sure to take a really long route.

Forestgnome
09-05-2011, 12:17 PM

RWO
Depends on what you buy.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/320817/Approved_Vendor_6XY87_Round_Base_Magnet_Assembly

$6 part, $6 shipping.
If you add the part prices and shipping prices you usually match what the brick and mortars charge.