PDA

View Full Version : Shapers and Slotters

Tony
08-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Instead of burying this in bridgeport thread I thought I'd put it out
on its own..

It appears I can get a used shaper and/or slotter cheaper than I
can find a slotting head used from the UK.

So my question (having never used either), can either of the two
do the work of both?

I mean, it appears that a shaper could be used as a slotter?

A slotter looks like it could do some shaping but have limited
capacity?

Someone shed some light?

Ideally I'd like to cut keyways and internal splines. But if I can get
a shaper and still do that stuff, all the better.

Most of the slotters I'm finding in my price range have a stroke
of about 3-4", by the way. Seems a little small, but the price is right.

-Tony

Dr Stan
08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
I've used a shaper to cut internal keyways, but it's usually easier to do the same operation in a lathe. As to cutting internal splines, one would need to set up an index head or rotary table on the shaper using an angle plate. Once again possible, but not the easiest thing to do.

If your primary need is internal work, I recommend getting a slotting attachment, or better yet buy a set of internal broaches and an arbor press.

Timleech
08-31-2011, 11:21 AM
I've used a shaper to cut internal keyways, but it's usually easier to do the same operation in a lathe. As to cutting internal splines, one would need to set up an index head or rotary table on the shaper using an angle plate. Once again possible, but not the easiest thing to do.

If your primary need is internal work, I recommend getting a slotting attachment, or better yet buy a set of internal broaches and an arbor press.

...& then it won't be long before you find you need to do a keyway in an odd sized bore....

It's less work to set up the slotter/head than it is to make a special broach bushing.

I used to have a little Elliott shaper, never got on well with it as a way of doing internal keyways.

Tim

small.planes
08-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Slotters are basically vertical shapers iirc.
as such both are similar in use and tooling.
However look down and you'll see a potential flaw (floor ;) ) in a slotter.

I used to have a shaper, but once the TOS mill arrived it had to go, or the east midlands would have unbalanced Tim's area :p

Dave

Thomas Staubo
08-31-2011, 04:55 PM
May I ask a quick question:
why is it that most slotting heads don't have a clapper?

:

becksmachine
08-31-2011, 05:19 PM
:

One reason would be that a lot of slotter work is internal, (keyways, splines) done with the tool on the end of a relatively long bar, making it difficult to achieve the proper "overhang" to make a clapper work properly.

Another reason would be because of the orientation of the ram, (vertical) gravity is not nearly as beneficial.

Dave

John Stevenson
08-31-2011, 05:47 PM

:

Because they are not funny.