PDA

View Full Version : OT: GIANT F'NG MOTH(s)!!! o_O

Grind Hard
08-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Out working in my shop... and a huge-ass moth blasts through the door and PLOP into my coolant tank. I fished it out but it is quite dead.

Moments later another one comes warping in... circles my head then bolts out through the window.

As I am typing this... there is another one... totally different than the previous two... hanging on the window-screen.

I can see a smaller one (about the size of a Dorito crisp) on the wall under the light.

So far as I can tell... the one in the coolant tank and the one that passed through are Cecropia moths and the one on the window is a Luna moth.

Can't tell what the other one is.

What a night to be without a camera. :rolleyes:

TGTool
08-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Damn, and Hitchcock is no longer around to do "The Moths". :D

Evan
08-31-2011, 10:43 PM
I end up with a lot of moths inside when I am running my telescope as I must go out to the deck to point it. They seem to like red light as if it were white light so they spend a lot of time fluttering around my computer work station.

I hit on a way to fix that problem. They take rest breaks by landing on the ceiling above my red work light that is pointed up. I discovered that a few seconds with a 20 milliwatt UV laser pointer blinds them permanently. When they try to fly they hit the floor and stay there since they can't see the lights any more. :eek: :)

Oh yeah, many of them are European Gypsy moths which require extermination along with Tussock moths that are killing my fir trees.

flathead4
08-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Mothra! Call Godzilla.

http://godzilla.monstrous.com/mothra.htm

Grind Hard
08-31-2011, 10:55 PM
The two that Evan mentioned plus tent-caterpillar moths. Hate those things!

I have no problem with the giant moths... those are cool. The one out on the wall bolted when I tried to get a closer look.

boslab
09-01-2011, 02:35 AM
saw a beautiful emporor moth the other day, landed on the skylight of my shop i think it was anyway it was bloody huge bout 2 1/2 inches with a lovely red underbelly, thier eys are just fantasic when the light catches them, dont know if they do much damage but they get attracted to the butterfly trees in my garden [dont know what the proper name is], theyr just big softys!
mark

DATo
09-01-2011, 02:56 AM
The other morning when I arrived at work I thought I saw what looked like a small bat fluttering down at the end of the hall. It turned out to be an enormous hornet which I identified as an Asian Hornet. These things have a stinger between 1/4" and 1/2" long and carry a potent venom. I managed to take it down with WD-40 (yet ANOTHER use for WD-40) and placed him beneath a clear plastic cup which I glued to a thin piece of pexiglass. One of the contractors currently working in the building identified it as a Cicada Killer Wasp. One of our maintenance men said he found another one dead outside. The one I caught was a total of about 2" long and MEAN looking. I'd hate to be on the sh*t list of these babies. A swarm of them could do some serious harm.

Black Forest
09-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Here in Germany a swarm of hornets attacked a group of school kids recently. Serveral of the kids had to be airlifted to a hospital.

big job
09-01-2011, 05:26 AM
memory serves me Mothra was replace by Super Mothra in 1962!

Lew Hartswick
09-01-2011, 09:59 AM
The two that Evan mentioned plus tent-caterpillar moths. Hate those things!

I have no problem with the giant moths... those are cool. The one out on the wall bolted when I tried to get a closer look.
That is something I've been wondering about for years, What does the moth of the tent caterpillar look like? And No I havent checked
wikipedia. :-) Is there a pix there.? :-)
...lew...

HWooldridge
09-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Tent caterpillar moths are relatively small and drab. Cecropia moths are larger and quite gorgeous in my opinion - we used to have them in the pecan tree orchard every year.

jkilroy
09-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Ran in to several of these while in the field yesterday. Got the be the sleekest moth I have ever seen. Looks like the Wally Yacht of the moth world.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/sites/default/files/imagecache/gallery_for_colorbox/species_images/Xylophanes_tersaJaySmith.jpg

Evan
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
That looks like a military moth. I'm surprised it isn't all black.

HWooldridge
09-01-2011, 04:28 PM
That looks like a military moth. I'm surprised it isn't all black.

Stealth moth...

Evan
09-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Stealth moth.

There may be some truth to that. I wouldn't be the least surprised if that shape doesn't reflect ultrasound well.

HWooldridge
09-01-2011, 05:33 PM
There may be some truth to that. I wouldn't be the least surprised if that shape doesn't reflect ultrasound well.

True, keeps the bats away...

TGTool
09-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Even the Cecropia caterpillar is nothing to sneeze at.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/TGTool/P1010355.jpg

Grind Hard
09-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Even the Cecropia caterpillar is nothing to sneeze at.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/TGTool/P1010355.jpg

I've handled these fellows before. Quite timid/shy for such a giant bug.

Now the Hickory Horn Devil... holy-- that one gave me pause! Google it. :)

Georgineer
09-01-2011, 07:57 PM
... they get attracted to the butterfly trees in my garden [dont know what the proper name is]...
mark
Buddleia, perhaps? That's famous for attracting butterflies and moths.

George

boslab
09-01-2011, 10:34 PM
thats what they are, budlia, not being up on plants, i got them from work where they grow wild all over the place, they spread around a bit but i like the purple flowers and love the assembly of butterflys during the day but the moths at night are better, you can handle them, if i sit outside often a big one will come and share a beer!, they are so soft an fluffy! and thats just the beer!, some i know dont like them but i do, i,m not that partial to wasps, they have thier place but they seem so mechanical!, theres a local guy aka waspman had several nests inside his house!, one in his bedroom, now thats a nutter! [in so saying that howard marks was his neighbour!, one too many special cigeretes i suspect]
the stealth moth reminded me of a raf victor plane i saw recently on the telly
regards
mark

Bill736
09-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Around this time of year, I frequently have Cicada Killer wasps come into my workshop at night and fly around the lights. My version isn't 2 inches long as the ones described above, but they're still by far the largest of the wasps and hornets around here. They are yellow and black striped. Intimidating as they are, I've never been stung by one in 35 years here, and I've been accidently hit by them several times on the neck and face as they fly around. They don't seem to be aggressive towards humans, as are the common type wasps that manage to sting me three or four times every summer.

Arcane
09-02-2011, 01:36 AM
The other morning when I arrived at work I thought I saw what looked like a small bat fluttering down at the end of the hall. It turned out to be an enormous hornet which I identified as an Asian Hornet. These things have a stinger between 1/4" and 1/2" long and carry a potent venom. I managed to take it down with WD-40 (yet ANOTHER use for WD-40) and placed him beneath a clear plastic cup which I glued to a thin piece of pexiglass. One of the contractors currently working in the building identified it as a Cicada Killer Wasp. One of our maintenance men said he found another one dead outside. The one I caught was a total of about 2" long and MEAN looking. I'd hate to be on the sh*t list of these babies. A swarm of them could do some serious harm.
They've discovered another big wasp just recently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2029913/Warrior-wasp-discovered-jungle-jaws-longer-legs.html#ixzz1W2idA3dj

boslab
09-02-2011, 07:02 AM
They've discovered another big wasp just recently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2029913/Warrior-wasp-discovered-jungle-jaws-longer-legs.html#ixzz1W2idA3dj
holy **** i just hope the dam things stay there!
mark

Evan
09-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Aside from gigantic wasps the island is also home to dwarf buffalo called anoa and colonial spiders whose webs can stretch for acres.

Well, scratch that off my list of places to visit.