PDA

View Full Version : Can't afford a welder?

Your Old Dog
09-02-2011, 09:21 PM
I did something like this years ago. In fact, I have some pics somewhere.

http://www.wimp.com/stringguitar/

gary350
09-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I did something like this years ago. In fact, I have some pics somewhere.

http://www.wimp.com/stringguitar/

????????What is this thread about?????????

Used welders are cheap I bought one $35 on CL.

radkins
09-02-2011, 09:35 PM
????????What is this thread about?????????

I was wondering exactly the same thing! :confused:

flylo
09-02-2011, 09:41 PM
I've got several welders, wish I could make them sound like that! Mine just sound like bacon frying. :D

wierdscience
09-02-2011, 09:42 PM
"Man invents 27 string guitar"

Weston Bye
09-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Forgive me for being cranky, but what does some bugger with pretty fingernails, pecking away at a 27-string guitar for 4 minutes and 38 seconds have to do with not being able to afford a welder????!!!!

Yep, I'm cranky tonight, especially after wasting 4 minutes and 38 seconds, trying to divine some connection with the title of the thread. Harrumph!!

4 minutes and 38 seconds, grumble, murmer...

CCWKen
09-02-2011, 10:05 PM
I remember back around 1967 that I needed a welder to do some repairs on a 1959 VW I had. Ordered a cheapy from J.C. Whitney. Can't remember how much but it was CHEAP and worked on 110v. When it came in I thought, gosh this thing is light. I took the cover off and all that was in it was two coils of heavy wire. Nichrome I would guess now. Each side of the 110v line-in fed into a coil. The other side of each coil fed the output. That's it! :rolleyes:

That's what I got when I couldn't afford a welder.

doctor demo
09-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Forgive me for being cranky, but what does some bugger with pretty fingernails, pecking away at a 27-string guitar for 4 minutes and 38 seconds have to do with not being able to afford a welder????!!!!

Come on Weston, if ya can't afford a welder.....ya make a fancy guitar:D

Steve

Your Old Dog
09-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Alright, in the interest of not looking like a complete idiot here's what happened.

Someone posted a link about some RC fish moving around in air. When done watching that I hit the "NEXT" button to view some other stuff on the site. I came across this old but interesting welding techinque I wanted to share with you guys because I've done it by accident with my dead carbide center.

Sorry I screwed it up. The link you saw was sent to a picking friend of mine.

sorry for all the confusion.

alanganes
09-02-2011, 11:14 PM
The group on this forum really kills me some days!
This is a Great thread.

Please now, YOD, hand over the correct link!

Chris S.
09-02-2011, 11:22 PM
<snip>

When done watching that I hit the "NEXT" button to view some other stuff on the site. I came across this old but interesting welding techinque I wanted to share with you guys

Well, do we get the link?

darryl
09-02-2011, 11:24 PM
That sounds a heck of a lot better than my welder- all it does is buzz :)

I am impressed with the guitar and the player.

flylo
09-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Do I have to quit working on my 27 string Lincoln? Dammit it was was sounding so sweet. :(

.RC.
09-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Quite an impressive video....

doctor demo
09-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Alright, in the interest of not looking like a complete idiot here's what happened.

Someone posted a link about some RC fish moving around in air. When done watching that I hit the "NEXT" button to view some other stuff on the site. I came across this old but interesting welding techinque I wanted to share with you guys because I've done it by accident with my dead carbide center.

Here ya go!
http://www.wimp.com/frictionpower/

Steve

.RC.
09-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Nice vid, single flange rollers off a tracked machine...

macona
09-03-2011, 01:31 AM
I remember back around 1967 that I needed a welder to do some repairs on a 1959 VW I had. Ordered a cheapy from J.C. Whitney. Can't remember how much but it was CHEAP and worked on 110v. When it came in I thought, gosh this thing is light. I took the cover off and all that was in it was two coils of heavy wire. Nichrome I would guess now. Each side of the 110v line-in fed into a coil. The other side of each coil fed the output. That's it! :rolleyes:

That's what I got when I couldn't afford a welder.

I had one of those when I was a kid. Found it at a garage sale. Basically a big resistor to keep you from tripping the breaker. Big coil of wire (Probably iron) on a fireproof base (Asbestos?) with a aluminum cover. Kind of the shape and size of a loaf of bread. The rod holder was a handle with an aluminum tube and a thumbscrew to hold the rod. I think the most I had ever done with it is use two carbon rods and melt rocks.

Black Forest
09-03-2011, 03:29 AM
I say we hang the basturd!

DATo
09-03-2011, 04:52 AM
Haven't you guys ever heard of sonic welding ? (Bass strings = DC reverse polarity). Took this video out to the garage and welded 1/4" plate with it.

John Stevenson
09-03-2011, 05:35 AM

Clumsy Bastard :rolleyes:

Your Old Dog
09-03-2011, 08:28 AM
THANKS DOC DEMO! You da man! I went back to look for the original fish thread and couldn't find it and I couldn't remember where I was!

John your compassion in these matters never ceases to amaze me!

japcas
09-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks YOD, now the price of used friction welders is going to go out the roof because everybody on this forum is going to think they have to have one now.:D

Just kidding, but that is pretty neat. I wonder what kind of pressure and horsepower is needed to do that on that size part?

bborr01
09-03-2011, 10:02 AM
We used to make exhaust valves where I worked and friction welded the head to the stem. It was a lot faster than the video from Dr Demo because they were so much smaller.

That was about 35 years ago. It was fully automated and turned out a LOT of valves in a shift.

Brian

Chris S.
09-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Here ya go!
http://www.wimp.com/frictionpower/

Steve

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I watched it 4 times! Is flux required?

Thanks!
Chris

lakeside53
09-03-2011, 11:30 AM
All you need is a cnc mill, and a small "error" to friction weld your drill chuck nose to your pristine Kurt vice. NO flux required:mad:

Carld
09-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks YOD for the link to the guy playing a harp guitar. There are a few harp guitar players out there and I know one of them, Muriel Anderson. Most if not all harp guitars are custom made to order.

I enjoyed the video and will send it to some guitar player friends. I have enough trouble keeping up with just 6 strings.

flylo
09-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Love the friction welding! Can I trade my 27 string Lincoln welder for a setup like this? All joking aside that was cool. Thanks!

Chris S.
09-03-2011, 12:02 PM
All you need is a cnc mill, and a small "error" to friction weld your drill chuck nose to your pristine Kurt vice. NO flux required:mad:

Ouch! Sad to hear that. Would should have a sympathy card section of the forum.

Chris

Your Old Dog
09-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Here's the book on the subject I wrote over a year ago. Some will remember the post.

http://www.raymondswan.com/dp/weldingbook.jpg

kendall
09-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I believe the shafts are welded to turbo rotors the same way.
Supposed to be an excellent way to produce uniform welds since power/speed/pressure/allow are all very easy to control.

edit, I like the sound of that guitar, but harp guiltars have been around forever ...

Ironheart
09-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Yep, I'm cranky tonight, especially after wasting 4 minutes and 38 seconds, trying to divine some connection with the title of the thread. Harrumph!!

4 minutes and 38 seconds, grumble, murmer...

Is your back button broken? Seems a kinda silly thing to fuss about...

Ironheart

Weston Bye
09-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Is your back button broken? Seems a kinda silly thing to fuss about...

Ironheart

Yep. Could have backed out, but usually YOD's posts make sense. I was trying to find the sense in this one.

My back button works OK, but my back wasn't feeling too good last night. I feel better today.

Ironheart
09-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Yep. Could have backed out, but usually YOD's posts make sense. I was trying to find the sense in this one.

My back button works OK, but my back wasn't feeling too good last night. I feel better today.

Sorry to hear about your back! When it hurts everything hurts.

Ironheart...

Paul Alciatore
09-03-2011, 09:25 PM

A picture would be nice.

Nice and funny, that is.

Your Old Dog
09-03-2011, 11:11 PM

Weston I hope you aren't going to start holding me to a different standard here then everybody else? I've read many post here that didn't make any sense and I felt I should wing a few your way !! :D

I explained it all in a subsequent post !

Scottike
09-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Nice welding technique! I'd never seen that before! I'll have to try it the next time I make a cathead - listening to harp guitar while the steel gets hot!

edit: I'm not bias - my EX-brother in law was a guitar player.

Weston Bye
09-03-2011, 11:30 PM
I explained it all in a subsequent post !

Yeah, after I got my shirt in a knot. All is forgiven. Your explanation was amusing.

Someday, after I've inherited my mother's Alzheimers...

Toolguy
09-05-2011, 12:30 AM
I play a 12 string, 27 might a bit too much for me.:o
One of the requirements for friction welding to work well is the sudden stop at the end. You can't just let it coast down.

Chris S.
09-05-2011, 11:04 AM
One of the requirements for friction welding to work well is the sudden stop at the end. You can't just let it coast down.

Yeah, I figured as much. Instant stop of an induction motor should be doable though. I designed and retrofitted such a circuit to a shaded pole motor back in the 60s. Admittedly, I've not tried it with a cap start motor. A cap start/cap run motor would require more thought.

Chris